Henna Heads I Need Your Help!!!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Ladies, I altered the mix. This time I used 150 grams Nupur, 1/4 cup hibiscus powder, and 1 1/2 cans of unsweetened coconut milk. Before application, I'll add two caps full of GSO.

I hope the coconut milk gives me great results like the tea previously did.

This will be my fifth henna application since 7/11/13, :yep:

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
HanaKuroi BranwenRosewood

You ladies are in trouble! :catfight: Why didn't y'all tell me about coconut milk before?

My hair felt awesome during rinse out. I don't think I'll be experimenting with doing a gloss by adding condish. There's no need, the cream/fat from the coconut milk is :lick:

I just got "turned out!" :yep:

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Pennefeather

I order the Chagrin Valley henna shampoo bar on Sunday in auburn, and chestnut. They arrived today. Saturday is wash day for me. I think that I am going to use the chestnut, which is the darker one. I will wash twice and let the lather sit on my hair for ten minutes each time. Then I will continue with a hot oil treatment and deep conditioner.

It will be interesting to see how much color is deposited. I just want to cover my grays in front.

caliscurls

I order the Chagrin Valley henna shampoo bar on Sunday in auburn, and chestnut. They arrived today. Saturday is wash day for me. I think that I am going to use the chestnut, which is the darker one. I will wash twice and let the lather sit on my hair for ten minutes each time. Then I will continue with a hot oil treatment and deep conditioner. It will be interesting to see how much color is deposited. I just want to cover my grays in front.

Pennefeather how is the chestnut henna shampoo bat working for you? Are you seeing any color on your grays? I've been completing doing the same thing to cover my grays.

Pennefeather

caliscurls,

I've used the chestnut bar two Saturdays in a row. Each time, I have lathered, and let the lather sit for ten minutes. I can definitely see color in my hair, but I still have a lot of gray/silver that hasn't been affected. Some of the grays have a more brownish tint to them, but of course, I always focus on the ones that I feel are still very obvious.

I think that the bar is a good way to experience henna without the mess, and the long waiting time. It probably isn't the most efficient way to cover gray hair - yet. From what I have read though, the more that the bars are used the more they will continue to deposit color, so I expect to see even more color this Saturday. If you've already been using henna, this might be an easy way to refresh the color/treatment.

I've been debating about using the auburn, but I have chickened out everytime. I wouldn't mind the grays being highlighted as a brighter red, but I don't want all of my hair to be reddish. I like my dark brown color. Interestingly enough, I actually see more color the day after I shampoo than on my shampoo day. Of course, part of that is probably because I usually bun my hair while it is damp. As the hair dries, the color always lightens.

I will probably get around to putting something in the "Hit/Miss" thread this month on the henna bars.

caliscurls

Thanks Pennefeather my hair is naturally black so I used to do the two step henna and indigo. At some point though the indigo started making my scalp itch really bad so stopped using it. Maybe I wasn't rinsing it well enough...? Don't know but since I switched to commercial dyes they all eventually thin my edges :( thankfully it's not bad. So I was thinking the chestnut henna might be cool to give me a highlighted look but I don't know I might just give in to the gray...I'm worried about looking weird with red hair one day too

Thanks for the review, I'll look for your hit/miss post later this month

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I have a head full of henna. I'll rinse it out in about eight hours and DC. I should have went and got breakfast burritos for b-fast, before applying the henna, because I'm still going to get them :look: Processing and shower caps and all :blush:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I used Henna for the first time this week and I wish I started earlier in my hair journey. I combined the following:

Nupur Henna
Irish moss
Slippery elm
Marshmallow root
ACV
Warm water

My hair is so soft. I co-washed today and air dried. My hair is as soft as ever. Is there such a thing as using henna too much? I want to use henna every two weeks.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I used Henna for the first time this week and I wish I started earlier in my hair journey. I combined the following:

Nupur Henna
Irish moss
Slippery elm
Marshmallow root
ACV
Warm water

My hair is so soft. I co-washed today and air dried. My hair is as soft as ever. Is there such a thing as using henna too much? I want to use henna every two weeks.

There's a lot of ladies who henna multiple times a month.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

Nupur Henna
Irish moss
Slippery elm
Marshmallow root
ACV
Warm water

No. I used to do mines twice a month. However I would not with the acv being in the mix. Long term, you might regret that.

I always just mixed henna and distilled water. That was enough to deposit color and get the conditioning benefits.

PJaye

I want to introduce henna glosses into my routine for strengthening purposes, but I've never used henna before. Is it best do a straight henna application before moving on to a gloss, or would it be OK to begin with a gloss?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I want to introduce henna glosses into my routine for strengthening purposes, but I've never used henna before. Is it best do a straight henna application before moving on to a gloss, or would it be OK to begin with a gloss?

You can start straight up with a gloss. Just be careful of the protein content of the condish. Even a mild reconstructor left on for 5 hours will turn your hair to straw.

ronie

MileHighDiva
What is your DC of choice after henna?
You used a while can and 1/2 of coconut milk. Is that for 1 application or do you save some for later?
I have been wanting to experience the strengthening effect of henna for a long time. I am reading all I can about it to make it happen next year. Thanks.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
MileHighDiva
What is your DC of choice after henna?
You used a while can and 1/2 of coconut milk. Is that for 1 application or do you save some for later?
I have been wanting to experience the strengthening effect of henna for a long time. I am reading all I can about it to make it happen next year. Thanks.

ronie
I use SD Shea What! Deux or RCA following a henna treatment. I freeze my left over henna for the next treatment. I have low density hair, so I always have some left over. This time I only used 1 can of coconut milk, because the bag of Nupur that I was using was smaller.

I think you'll love doing henna treatments when you start. Henna really helps reinforce my fine strands.

I highly recommend using coconut milk in lieu of water, your hair will not be dry when you rinse out the henna. Also, a lot of ladies use lemon and ACV etc to help with color release. You don't need that. Just use water or coconut milk.

You can't go wrong with Jamilah or Nupur.

Please report back, when you do your first henna treatment, and let us know how it went. You're going to love it.

Leo24Rule

Nupur Henna
Irish moss
Slippery elm
Marshmallow root
ACV
Warm water

Hello, where do you purchase your Irish Moss, Slippery Elm, and Marshmallow Root? I've been searching at every grocery store on every tea isle and nothing!:nono:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Earlier today, I mixed Nupur, hibiscus powder, water, and avocado oil.

I'll be clarifying my hair tonight and applying the henna, before I go to bed.

In the morning, I'll do the following:
-Rinse out with GVP Conditioning Balm.
-DC with Bee Mine Bee U Ti Ful
-LCOB with Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk, Luscious, GSO, and the butter hasn't been determined yet.
-Set in five Celie braids for a braid out.

alex114

I have almost APL hair and on the henna for hair site it shows that I should be using 200-300 (maybe 250) grams of henna on my hair. Can anyone comment on whether that's correct or if that's too much?

And should my hair be clean/just washed a few days before to do henna?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@alex114, if it's too much you can freeze the rest for next time. I'd rather have enough, so you don't run out in the application process. Your hair looks dense/thick. Please let us know what you end up doing.

alex114

Okay great thanks @MileHighDiva and lordt… yes my hair is thick lol-- I have to keep my hair stretched 24/7 so that it never shrinks 100% even when soaking wet. I am planning on doing henna in the next few weeks, after my hair is back to curly. And one more question, sorry lol:

So would you recommend a recipe of 300 grams henna, 1 cup of coconut milk and 1-2 cups of lemon or lime juice?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Okay great thanks @MileHighDiva and lordt… yes my hair is thick lol-- I have to keep my hair stretched 24/7 so that it never shrinks 100% even when soaking wet. I am planning on doing henna in the next few weeks, after my hair is back to curly. And one more question, sorry lol:

So would you recommend a recipe of 300 grams henna, 1 cup of coconut milk and 1-2 cups of lemon or lime juice?
I would not recommend citrus. Can be very drying. Some ppl hair can take citrus soaking in for hours on end but mine was dried out. Raises the pH too much for me I think.

As for applying to clean or dirty hair, ive done it both ways. Leave something on 6 hrs, it'll even soak through petroleum products. :lol: