Henna Heads,recipe for warm auburn w/gold tones?

SugarBaby

Any Henna Heads have a recipe for a recipe that will produce a warm auburn w/ golden tones in the color release, or am I dreaming and this is not possible?

I am a natural w/ 3c hair in 1b color. I do have highlights so I hope the highlights w/ take on the gold tones.

I am a Henna virgin.

TIA

Last edited:

gogo

sorry, SB. Can't really help but was wondering the same myself. I have sandy highlights at my temples (now with a few grays) and truly wanted to keep my natural warm brown color but I henna'd anyway...I'm okay with the color nowbut i won't use it again (I mixed henna, indigo & amla and got too cool of a brown, almost "cherry cola") I tried cassia for the first time last month & noticed the slightest golden color on my gloves when finished. Maybe next month I'll add walnut powder....

Anyone more of an expert at this????

SugarBaby

sorry, SB. Can't really help but was wondering the same myself. I have sandy highlights at my temples (now with a few grays) and truly wanted to keep my natural warm brown color but I henna'd anyway...I'm okay with the color nowbut i won't use it again (I mixed henna, indigo & amla and got too cool of a brown, almost "cherry cola") I tried cassia for the first time last month & noticed the slightest golden color on my gloves when finished. Maybe next month I'll add walnut powder....

Anyone more of an expert at this????

Thanks for the reply, I have read about Cassia and I was going to investigate that w/ honey. Honey as I am told is a natural lightener.

I never heard of walnut powder, What does that do?

Anyone else?????

Neroli

Do harvest tests with hair from your comb or brush -- that's the only way to REALLY predict how a particular recipe will turn out on your hair.

Before my first henna, I did two harvest test: one with straight henna and one with 50/50 henna and indigo. The straight henna came out AWESOME in the tests and and the henna/indigo was way too dark and got even darker with time. Soooo, I took the plunge with straight henna on my whole head and I haven't looked back since. I love it.

I never thought the straight henna would work for me and I was concerned about going too red as my natural color is a dark brown with reddish highlights in summer. The spots where my hair turn reddest in summer is where I turn grey. Straight henna turns my greys a gorgeous dark golden red and the rest of my hair a dark reddish brown. So, I suggest whatever receipe you test, do one with straight henna, you may be surprised. :yep:

My recipe: henna mixed with warm water until thick mud. Cover and let sit at least 6 hours and I'm ready to go.

There are all KINDS of recipes and I've tried a few, but the best for me to achive great color and strength is warm water + henna. I aways do a moisturizing DC after rinsing out the henna. I use to put acids (ACV or redwine) in my mix for color release until discovered it is not necessary -- warm water and time is all that is needed for great color release. :yep:

Recipes galore at the following sites:

www.hennaforhair.com
www.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35188

SugarBaby

Do harvest tests with hair from your comb or brush -- that's the only way to REALLY predict how a particular recipe will turn out on your hair.

Before my first henna, I did two harvest test: one with straight henna and one with 50/50 henna and indigo. The straight henna came out AWESOME in the tests and and the henna/indigo was way too dark and got even darker with time. Soooo, I took the plunge with straight henna on my whole head and I haven't looked back since. I love it.

I never thought the straight henna would work for me and I was concerned about going too red as my natural color is a dark brown with reddish highlights in summer. The spots where my hair turn reddest in summer is where I turn grey. Straight henna turns my greys a gorgeous dark golden red and the rest of my hair a dark reddish brown. So, I suggest whatever receipe you test, do one with straight henna, you may be surprised. :yep:

My recipe: henna mixed with warm water until thick mud. Cover and let sit at least 6 hours and I'm ready to go.

There are all KINDS of recipes and I've tried a few, but the best for me to achive great color and strength is warm water + henna. I aways do a moisturizing DC after rinsing out the henna. I use to put acids (ACV or redwine) in my mix for color release until discovered it is not necessary -- warm water and time is all that is needed for great color release. :yep:

Recipes galore at the following sites:

www.hennaforhair.com
www.http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35188

Thanks so much. I needed someone to give some insight before I took the plunge!!!

Help! the last link won't pull up... Can you come back and give that link again?

sareca

I just pull some hair I harvested out of the lemonaid koolaid it's been soaking in for the last 1/2 hour. It did exactly what I wanted it to do. It has subtle warm/golden tones. I'm gonna wait for the strand test to dry completely then test it's elasticity again. It was fine while wet I just wanna be sure before I put koolaid all over my head. :spinning:

UPDATE: I'm not crazy about the color while dry. It's not as shiny has my hair usually is... :ohwell: I guess I'll just go back to adding paprika and tumeric to my henna mix.

Last edited:

SugarBaby

I just pull some hair I harvested out of the lemonaid koolaid it's been soaking in for the last 1/2 hour. It did exactly what I wanted it to do. It has subtle warm/golden tones. I'm gonna wait for the strand test to dry completely then test it's elasticity again. It was fine while wet I just wanna be sure before I put koolaid all over my head. :spinning:

UPDATE: I'm not crazy about the color while dry. It's not as shiny has my hair usually is... :ohwell: I guess I'll just go back to adding paprika and tumeric to my henna mix.

Is that lemonade koolaid by itself?

Do you have a recipe for paprika and tumeric henna mix? What colors does it produce?

PanamasOwn

Special Recipes and Hints

Coffee

To help tone down red tones, deepen brown-red tones, or cover grey, substitute coffee for water. Used brewed, black coffee (not instant or decaffeinated). After coffee is brewed, bring to a boil. Mix as directed.

Teas

Ceylon or Black China Tea will add gold highlights to Light Brown Henna. Red Zinger Tea enriches red tones in Burgundy, Sherry, Mahogany and Red Henna. Chamomile Tea brightens and adds highlights to Neutral, Blonde or Marigold Blonde Henna. Let tea steep for 20-30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Substitute tea for water. Mix as directed.

Apple Cider Vinegar

To help color hold on grey hair, add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to Henna mixture.

Cinnamon

To brighten and highlight red tones, add 2 tbsp cinnamon.

Lemon Juice

To lighten blonde shades, add 2 tbsp (or more) lemon juice to Henna mixture.

To Deepen Red Shades

Red, Sherry, Mahogany or Burgundy can be deepened by mixing a darker shade. For example, 3 oz Mahogany + 1 oz Dark Brown = Dark Auburn.

Dry Hair

Add 1 egg, 2-4 tbsp olive oil, or 2-4 tbsp plain yogurt to Henna mixture. These natural ingredients not only condition, but help with the application and rinsing processes

gogo

Sugar Baby, here's a link re: walnut powder. I love the effects of henna, i just thinnk the color is too red for my skintone. My next attempt will def. be 50/50 walnut powder/cassia with a little honey thrown in too! thanks to all for the recipes & tips...i really want to get this right next time!

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/walnut/

edited to add: and that tumeric sounds interesting...will invertigate further!

Last edited:

SugarBaby

Special Recipes and Hints

Coffee

To help tone down red tones, deepen brown-red tones, or cover grey, substitute coffee for water. Used brewed, black coffee (not instant or decaffeinated). After coffee is brewed, bring to a boil. Mix as directed.

Teas

Ceylon or Black China Tea will add gold highlights to Light Brown Henna. Red Zinger Tea enriches red tones in Burgundy, Sherry, Mahogany and Red Henna. Chamomile Tea brightens and adds highlights to Neutral, Blonde or Marigold Blonde Henna. Let tea steep for 20-30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Substitute tea for water. Mix as directed.

Apple Cider Vinegar

To help color hold on grey hair, add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar to Henna mixture.

Cinnamon

To brighten and highlight red tones, add 2 tbsp cinnamon.

Lemon Juice

To lighten blonde shades, add 2 tbsp (or more) lemon juice to Henna mixture.

To Deepen Red Shades

Red, Sherry, Mahogany or Burgundy can be deepened by mixing a darker shade. For example, 3 oz Mahogany + 1 oz Dark Brown = Dark Auburn.

Dry Hair

Add 1 egg, 2-4 tbsp olive oil, or 2-4 tbsp plain yogurt to Henna mixture. These natural ingredients not only condition, but help with the application and rinsing processes

Wonderful help, thanks for this !!!!!

SugarBaby

Sugar Baby, here's a link re: walnut powder. I love the effects of henna, i just thinnk the color is too red for my skintone. My next attempt will def. be 50/50 walnut powder/cassia with a little honey thrown in too! thanks to all for the recipes & tips...i really want to get this right next time!

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/walnut/

edited to add: and that tumeric sounds interesting...will invertigate further!

GoGo thanks for the link! I will check out the walnut powder.

sareca

Is your grey hair covered well, or do you have any grey hair? I forget.

Oh I got gray. :yep: My gray had already been henna'd at least 5X and indigo'd at least twice so they were a dark coppery color. I think it's so pretty that I briefly wished I had more gray... um... very briefly. ;) Anyway, they picked up the yellow, but they're aren't yellow. They're still copper colored with a little more yellow.