Henna over highlights?

lovegan

Has anyone put henna over highlights before, or does anyone know if this is damaging? I’ve got some highlights (all be it ratty lookin’) and I want to start my hair recovery journey fresh. I want to get the darkness back in my hair but having done so much to destroy my hair already, I’m afraid of putting any more color into it. Would putting henna over the highlights further damage the hair? Thanks!

I had highlights. After a couple henna treatments they disappeared into my hair. I haven't seen them since. :ohwell:

lovegan said:
Has anyone put henna over highlights before, or does anyone know if this is damaging? I’ve got some highlights (all be it ratty lookin’) and I want to start my hair recovery journey fresh. I want to get the darkness back in my hair but having done so much to destroy my hair already, I’m afraid of putting any more color into it. Would putting henna over the highlights further damage the hair? Thanks!

I had hightlights done back in '04, I also use henna, and they've gone away (which I liked), but not completely. I actually like the color then henna has given to the highlighted areas, it's very subtle. If you want the darkness, I'd suggest mixing henna, let it release, mix some indigo with hot water let it sit for about 1-2 min, add to henna mixture and apply. Depending on the henna to indigo ratio, you will get a dark chocolate color.

As long as you're using 100% BAQ henna, you hair will be just fine and hopefully look and feel healthier :)

JLove74 said:
I had hightlights done back in '04, I also use henna, and they've gone away (which I liked), but not completely. I actually like the color then henna has given to the highlighted areas, it's very subtle. If you want the darkness, I'd suggest mixing henna, let it release, mix some indigo with hot water let it sit for about 1-2 min, add to henna mixture and apply. Depending on the henna to indigo ratio, you will get a dark chocolate color.

As long as you're using 100% BAQ henna, you hair will be just fine and hopefully look and feel healthier :)

awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

i was thinking a more auburn (reddish-dark color) over the yellow/blonde highlights. how would one do that?

I've heard of the great things about Henna, but I'm not really versed on the subject. I just know that you have to use a certain kind of henna if you already have coloring on your hair.

It's not as great as henna, but if you simply want to change your hair to a darker color you could use a rinse - it's nondamaging.

ETA Jlove just said its 100% BAQ henna you need to use

MsDee4 said:
I've heard of the great things about Henna, but I'm not really versed on the subject. I just know that you have to use a certain kind of henna if you already have coloring on your hair.

It's not as great as henna, but if you simply want to change your hair to a darker color you could use a rinse - it's nondamaging.

ETA Jlove just said its 100% BAQ henna you need to use

is a rinse a semi-permanent? i really like how henna looks-very rich and makes the hair shinny

lovegan said:
is a rinse a semi-permanent? i really like how henna looks-very rich and makes the hair shinny

Then you should probably go with henna :) I hope it works out great for you!

But a rinse is a semi; it has no ammonia or peroxide and washes out after a certain number of shampoos.

WOW! i love the results from your coloring...it looks so rich and healthy. now i'm for sure getting it done!!

Back