Herb infused butters???

Angkin73

I did post this in the recipe thread, but I figured I would get quicker responses here. I have done search after search and googled this topic, and came up with nada!:wallbash:

I was wondering if any one makes their own herb infused butter mixes and how do you make them.

I have made butter mixes with herb infused oils, but I want to use real herbs mixed right into the butters, but I can not figure out how to do it. Also I don't want to have to melt my shea butter( if I decide to use shea).

I was thinking that maybe I could melt another butter (Mowrah) add the herbs of choice, and let steep and cool. Then add this to a harder butter? Do you think that could work?

Also do you think it would be better to use fresh herbs or dryed?

TIA :love2:

Last edited:

jamaraa

I'd infuse it into a base like coconut or jojoba (grape seed, sesame, almond, olive etc) and add that to whatever butter you want. Being that it's now hot, you can let the sun do the work for you in both infusing your proposed herb oil and softening whatever butter you ultimately choose. You want to blend your infused oil well and evenly into your original SOFTENED butter. You don't want the herbs to be in one part and not all of it, so blending is key. Since butters tend to freeze up when the temp drops below X, using an oil that doesn't will help keep things pliable. You also get the added benefits of the extra oil.

Personally, I'd use dried herbs to do this, esp. if you've never worked w/ fresh. That way you are in far more control of the quantities you use. If the herbs are ground fine enough, you don't have to bother straining them out. Another benefit and time saver.

Last edited:

Angkin73

Thanks for replying.

I had thought of using grapeseed oil. Would you just mix it herbs and all into the butter?

I was thinking about whipping it. Then again, I don't think I want it as light as it would be from whipping. I want a heavier consistency.

I would love to do a clear palmade and leave the herbs in.

JustKiya

I plan on trying this - infusing coconut oil with herbs, and then mixing that (well-strained) into shea butter. I can't think of a way to directly infuse a butter without melting it - though, if you heat-infuse the butter, it'll automatically melt on it's own.