Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@lulu97, what effects do you get from the bamboo? and how much do you take?
I take one bamboo capsule nightly as part of my pm supplements. This is the one supplement, regarding hair and beauty that I will never be without.

When I started taking bamboo extract, my hair bulbs became visibly bigger, when viewing my shedded hair, :yep:

Lita, the member that recommended them to me takes two capsules a day. She has lovely long luscious locks of hair.

Occassionally, I drink the tea when I have it on hand.

I'd advise one capsule nightly based on my experience. Bamboo does its work while you're sleep.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, what effects do you get from the bamboo? and how much do you take?

@immy I haven't started these particular ones yet...I will start in the spring. Right now I'm taking horsetail silicia (1000 mg) which really only equates to around 7% silica whereas the bamboo is 300 mg but equates to around 70 % silicia. Since I've been taking the horsetail version, my skin is noticeably brighter as well as my nails. The color is super white...it almost looks like I have french tips...and they are hard as rocks. I can only imagine what great benefits I'll get once I switch over to the bamboo version. I'm hoping to get some of the same benefits as @MileHighDiva
I chose this particular brand because I saw she took them! LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I take one bamboo capsule nightly as part of my pm supplements. This is the one supplement, regarding hair and beauty that I will never be without.

When I started taking bamboo extract, my hair bulbs became visibly bigger, when viewing my shedded hair, :yep:

Lita, the member that recommended them to me takes two capsules a day. She has lovely long luscious locks of hair.

Occassionally, I drink the tea when I have it on hand.

I'd advise one capsule nightly based on my experience. Bamboo does its work while you're sleep.

*Grabs pen and paper to take notes* :bookworm:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@MileHighDiva Hey do you think that bamboo is better than OptiMSM? I debated about this a few times since their benefits are similar. Didn't do enough research though.
Uber doses of MSM orally and/or topically make me shed excessively. So, I get my sulphur organically in my everyday diet.

However, a lot of ladies have success with it. Try it and report back with your results.

SweetestChick

Long hair fanatic
@MileHighDiva I am actually taking OptiMSM now lol. Hmm the worst I noticed was these annoying little headaches (other than the several pimples from initial detox). They reminded me of the ones you get from too tight braids. But that didn't happen till I was regularly taking 6000 mgs daily. I heard up to 10,000 can be taken safely. I didn't realize the headaches were from the MSM for a few days until I experimented and dropped the dosage back to 4500. The headaches eased up then disappeared afterwards.

As far as hair results: I guess it's helped with shedding but I don't think it did much for increased growth. It's supposed to prolong the growth stage but can't comment on that. I did notice better joint mobility (my knees got jacked up several times as a youngin lol so now I'm paying for it even though I'm nowhere near old) quicker muscle recovery after exercising and nicer skin. HTH

Daina

@SweetestChick, @MileHighDiva, @lulu97, I also take a bamboo extract and 2nd the benefits. I drink the tea several days a week and take the Beautifully Bamboo supplements. I tried taking MSM but could never go beyond 2,000 mg. I am in the unfortunate group where it causes problems with my cycle. My cycle stayed on for 6 weeks straight when I went higher than 2K mg. Being anemic it was just more than my system could bear. I only take 1,000 mg a day now because I want to get some of the joint benefit.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@SweetestChick, @MileHighDiva, @lulu97, I also take a bamboo extract and 2nd the benefits. I drink the tea several days a week and take the Beautifully Bamboo supplements. I tried taking MSM but could never go beyond 2,000 mg. I am in the unfortunate group where it causes problems with my cycle. My cycle stayed on for 6 weeks straight when I went higher than 2K mg. Being anemic it was just more than my system could bear. I only take 1,000 mg a day now because I want to get some of the joint benefit.

@Daina I had a weird experience with taking MSM on its own. I can tolerate it just fine in my HSN vitamins (which has 1000 mg). Well when I ran out of my HSN vitamins, I decided to just take MSM on its own since I saw a bottle at Trader Joe's. I figured since it was the same dosage as what was in my HSN vitamins, it would be fine. Well I had nightmares every single day I took it. I was like oh heyal to the nall!
I chucked the bottle in the trash after about 3 days.

I can handle it it my usual HSN vitamin though. Maybe since there are other vitamins in there to balance it out? IDK

Daina

@Daina I had a weird experience with taking MSM on its own. I can tolerate it just fine in my HSN vitamins (which has 1000 mg). Well when I ran out of my HSN vitamins, I decided to just take MSM on its own since I saw a bottle at Trader Joe's. I figured since it was the same dosage as what was in my HSN vitamins, it would be fine. Well I had nightmares every single day I took it. I was like oh heyal to the nall!

I can handle it it my usual HSN vitamin though. Maybe since there are other vitamins in there to balance it out? IDK

@lulu97, I have heard several people complain of nightmares and really weird vivid dreams when taking MSM.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

@lulu97, I have heard several people complain of nightmares and really weird vivid dreams when taking MSM.

*Raises hand

I would have vivid nightmares. Man, I woke up one night in a cold sweat. Gaining a few inches ain't worth fighting no demons every other night. I ain't took MSM since...

Okay, you guys got me side-eyeing my unused jar of MSM like o_O. I was going to put it in my hair products and take some, but now . . . I'm scurred!

WP_20170121_004.jpg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Okay, you guys got me side-eyeing my unused jar of MSM like o_O. I was going to put it in my hair products and take some, but now . . . I'm scurred!

View attachment 386457

@YvetteWithJoy I think you should still try it and test out how your body reacts...maybe just start at a low dosage and work your way up.

I still take 1000 mg of MSM as it's already inside my Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins. I just don't take it on its own.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
1. I am healthy. my blood work is normal. I had gained a lot of weight due to medications and now have lost 40 lbs. I have also reversed my pre diabetes. I had to change up my lifestyle and I'm taking it day by day.

2. I had to cut some things from my life since my mother is very Ill. I'm still stressed but I was doing the most and it was lowering the quality of my life.

3. I eat better. I have been meal prepping which is helping me and I stay away from sugary drinks for the most part. I occasionally have low calorie iced tea.

Now on to the fun stuff:

Current length:

I would say I'm at the 5 line and slightly below APL

Regimen: wash, condition/deep treat, and style in wash n go once a week. keratin treatment on the roots every 4 to 6 months.

Exact goal length: Tailbone length

Plans to help you achieve your goal: keep a simple low manipulation regimen. I only mess with my hair on wash day.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: multivitamin

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: oil ends on wash day

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:

dusting 1/4 inch every 4 months

Top 10 products:
Vitale pro shampoo, conditioner, reconstructor, super conditioner, mystic oil
Wet line xtreme gel
Paul Mitchell the conditioner

I'm still figuring out the rest

trclemons

Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & Ojon Damage Reverse.
DC'd for an hour under the heat cap with CC's Natural ButterCreme.
Reconstructed with Kenya Moore Growth Repair & Hair Yum Pink Sugar Protein.
Rinsed Out Koils By Nature ACV Hair Growth & SSI Avocado.
LCOB'd with Ion Damage Solution, Keravada Crème Brulee, Over the Top Growth Elixir on scalp, Cream & Coco Green Apple on length & Mission Condition Whipped Shea on ends.

mayoo

Update:

Ran into a slight setback a couple of weeks ago while trying out a new twisting method. It caused my strands to tangle severely. Almost looked like half-locs :cry3::cry3:
Ended up having to rip tangles out :cry3:
A couple days after the ripped ends started to feel dry so I gave myself a trim all over. It was only about half an inch and I haven't trimmed in a long time so I dont feel too bad about it.
Also, trying out wash-and-go. Day 2 seems to be the furthest I can go before all my curls begin to tangle.
Detangling after a wash-and-go only takes about 5 minutes thanks to my new finger combing technique :toocool:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Update:

Ran into a slight setback a couple of weeks ago while trying out a new twisting method. It caused my strands to tangle severely. Almost looked like half-locs :cry3::cry3:
Ended up having to rip tangles out :cry3:
A couple days after the ripped ends started to feel dry so I gave myself a trim all over. It was only about half an inch and I haven't trimmed in a long time so I dont feel too bad about it.
Also, trying out wash-and-go. Day 2 seems to be the furthest I can go before all my curls begin to tangle.
Detangling after a wash-and-go only takes about 5 minutes thanks to my new finger combing technique :toocool:

Good, deal, @mayoo. If you don't mind and have the time, will you share your new finger combing technique at the Detangling Wisdom thread: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/detangling-updated-collective-wisdom-as-of-2016.796885/?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wavey:

Heyyyyy, everybody! Hope everyone is doing well! Welcome, new folks! :kiss:

Brief update:

Health:
  • I am down 1.5 inches around my tummy. :wiggle: Unfortunately, I am down 0.5 inches in my bust, and I don't have bust to spare!:cry3:;)
  • I have not been sleeping regular hours, and that's not good: I've been staying up too many hours, then having to make up the time with 10-hour sleeps. Not good. Will try to do better this week.
  • I have eaten VERY healthy, but I have had 3 serious binge sessions while writing. I had some Doritos and cookies. I can avoid this if I purchase dark chocolate covered almonds. I really hate that cookies and Doritos are in the house for my oldest's lunch.
Hair:
I cleansed with 22nd Century Natural Woman's poo bar. I DC'd with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition. Hair is in 13 twists. I will try the DevaCurl B'Leave-in and Arc AnGEL for the first time today and see how that wash-and-go fares.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
1. I am healthy. my blood work is normal. I had gained a lot of weight due to medications and now have lost 40 lbs. I have also reversed my pre diabetes. I had to change up my lifestyle and I'm taking it day by day.

2. I had to cut some things from my life since my mother is very Ill. I'm still stressed but I was doing the most and it was lowering the quality of my life.

3. I eat better. I have been meal prepping which is helping me and I stay away from sugary drinks for the most part. I occasionally have low calorie iced tea.

Now on to the fun stuff:

Current length:

I would say I'm at the 5 line and slightly below APL

Regimen: wash, condition/deep treat, and style in wash n go once a week. keratin treatment on the roots every 4 to 6 months.

Exact goal length: Tailbone length

Plans to help you achieve your goal: keep a simple low manipulation regimen. I only mess with my hair on wash day.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: multivitamin

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: oil ends on wash day

dusting 1/4 inch every 4 months

Top 10 products:
Vitale pro shampoo, conditioner, reconstructor, super conditioner, mystic oil
Wet line xtreme gel
Paul Mitchell the conditioner

I'm still figuring out the rest

@Napp Welcome and Congrats on the weight loss! 40 pounds is a great accomplishment.

:bighug:for your mom.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I've been tired of cold smoothies so I've up'd my salads to get me over this hump.

My hormones are all over the place. Don't know why or how...but everything is either pissing me off to the 10th power or making me extremely happy. My body just feels off. Probably going through sugar withdrawals....

I've been stretching and doing Pilates almost daily. I'll get a round of cardio in before the week is out.

Hair:
Operation convert mini braids into bigger braids complete.

I ended up with around 20 braids. I did wash them already because my hair just felt weighed down and product-y. They survived their first wash session. Woo-hoo!

After washing: I didn't feel like stretching them with rollers and sitting under the dryer, but I knew I wanted to stretch them nonetheless. So I took a tip from @MileHighDiva favorite Youtuber and stretched with Bantu knots. Worked pretty good! I like this much better than roller setting and having to extend my wash day by spending an hour under the dryer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wrapped them with my silk scarf and left them in overnight.

The next day:
image.jpg

And of course, I pulled them all back into one big braid with the tail rolled and tucked under. I'll leave this in for a week.

image.jpg

JoyBelle

1. Visit your doctor. Request a physical and blood work. Find out areas where you are deficient and address them. If you have had blood work done in 2016 and already know your stats...cool beans. Skip ahead.
I have quite a bit of work to do in this area. I am using food and herbal medicine to address my issues. Went to the traditional doctor for blood work last week. Will see an herbalist this week.

2. Reduce your stress. If there are areas in your life that are causing you to be stressed out...work on it.
I need all the help I can get in this arena!

3. Improve your diet and water intake. Make sure you are getting sufficient amounts of protein and lots of leafy greens.
I really need to work on the water piece! I do ok on the food front.

Now on to the fun stuff:

This is an open, year round challenge. Anyone, any length at any time may join. To join please commit to the initial 3 rules and state the following:

Current length:
(Pictures are encouraged but not required)

Regimen:
Protective style in braids or twists, DC with every wash, minimum weekly scalp massage, hot oil treatments weekly
-Chunky braids or twists I redo weekly - If my hair is in a chunky style I may also add a homemade masque to hair - honey & banana; avocado, coconut oil, and oat or rice water and so on
-Medium braids or twists I redo every 2-3 weeks but still wash weekly then bantu knot
-Mini braids or twists I redo every 6 weeks, wash weekly then rod or roller set
Heat 2-3 times a year

Exact goal length:
Tension blow dried hair at waist length without being pulled down. I'm not sure how long that will actually be.

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Protective style, low manipulation, keep hair moisturized, keep scalp clean, healthy eating, exercise

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Whole foods (WF) amino essentials - 3x weekly post resistance/weight lifting
NeoCell Super collagen
365 Adult multi with iron
WF thyroid complete
WF Hair, skin and nails with MSM
Flora enzyme blend
Megafood blood builder

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Sealing nightly with shea butter or castor oil

(I suggest you start off with a 1/4 inch dusting. Going forward, trim the same amount every 6 months. We will be working a lot on our ends during this challenge, so I plan on keeping them in tip top shape)
I still need to do this... o_O I haven't cut my hair since the last time I mentioned it in the grow it long challenge... :drunk:

Top 10 products:
1. Silicon Mix
2. NuNaat Intensive hair mask
3. S curl Curl Activator
4. Sesa herbal hair oil
5. Wild growth hair oil
6. ORS Girls Moisture Rich Conditioner (I use as leave-in)
7. Xtreme Wetline Gel
8. Castor oil
9. Shea Butter
10. Hask Charcoal Shampoo

We will be having mini 6 month challenges to keep the thread interesting and engaging. A check in will be due after each one is complete.

Last edited:

JoyBelle

Photos from last night: I started off with an oil treatment then DC'd and cleansed my hair. I let it dry in 6 braids then layered my products and converted to about 26 medium sized braids which I plan to bun and keep in for 2-3 weeks.

ETA: I'm starting the challenge at a solid MBL!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Photos from last night: I started off with an oil treatment then DC'd and cleansed my hair. I let it dry in 6 braids then layered my products and converted to about 26 medium sized braids which I plan to bun and keep in for 2-3 weeks.

ETA: I'm starting the challenge at a solid MBL!

Wooo, everyone's pics are so inspirational. :smile:

Any 4a ladies at MBL or beyond? I'm fishing for encouragement: My 4a hair is soooooooo coily. It's a lot, taking are of it, because of how coily it is. Detangling is sumpin serious. SHRINKAGE is SER-I-OUS!!!

JoyBelle

Any 4a ladies at MBL or beyond? I'm fishing for encouragement: My 4a hair is soooooooo coily. It's a lot, taking are of it, because of how coily it is. Detangling is sumpin serious. SHRINKAGE is SER-I-OUS!!!

Thank you @YvetteWithJoy ! I think my hair is more 5A or 5Z... But here is what works for me:

I generally will wash in sections. Sometimes I wash my hair as a single unit, finger detangling in the shower, but this is only if I am wet bunning for a long time 2-4 weeks straight. More often, I want to minimize shrinkage. I let the hair dry in 4-6 sections for about 30 min then I put on my products. No matter what, I follow with shea butter. This weighs my hair down so it has a bit of length when/if I take my braids or twists down. If I want to minimize shrinkage, Shea Butter is a must for my hair.

I will sometimes use heavy oiling to keep my ends healthy. I have to bun if I do this because I don't want to ruin clothes... More often than not, my hair is in a low manipulation protective style: chunky twists in a bun, braids in a top knot.

mayoo

Don't know if this counts but here's some pics of my hair before I cut it .I'm also 4a(with some 4b) with verryyyy coily strands. Even when I was hip length my wet twists were only like an inch longer than they were when I was bsl :look:

Attachments

• IMG_20161206_183515019.jpg
    IMG_20161206_183515019.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20161206_183507414.jpg
    IMG_20161206_183507414.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20161206_183500695.jpg
    IMG_20161206_183500695.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20161206_183203128.jpg
    IMG_20161206_183203128.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 71

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
1. Visit your doctor. Request a physical and blood work. Find out areas where you are deficient and address them. If you have had blood work done in 2016 and already know your stats...cool beans. Skip ahead.
I have quite a bit of work to do in this area. I am using food and herbal medicine to address my issues. Went to the traditional doctor for blood work last week. Will see an herbalist this week.

2. Reduce your stress. If there are areas in your life that are causing you to be stressed out...work on it.
I need all the help I can get in this arena!

3. Improve your diet and water intake. Make sure you are getting sufficient amounts of protein and lots of leafy greens.
I really need to work on the water piece! I do ok on the food front.

Now on to the fun stuff:

This is an open, year round challenge. Anyone, any length at any time may join. To join please commit to the initial 3 rules and state the following:

Current length:
(Pictures are encouraged but not required)

Regimen:
Protective style in braids or twists, DC with every wash, minimum weekly scalp massage, hot oil treatments weekly
-Chunky braids or twists I redo weekly - If my hair is in a chunky style I may also add a homemade masque to hair - honey & banana; avocado, coconut oil, and oat or rice water and so on
-Medium braids or twists I redo every 2-3 weeks but still wash weekly then bantu knot
-Mini braids or twists I redo every 6 weeks, wash weekly then rod or roller set

Heat 2-3 times a year

Exact goal length:
Tension blow dried hair at waist length without being pulled down. I'm not sure how long that will actually be.

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
Protective style, low manipulation, keep hair moisturized, keep scalp clean, healthy eating, exercise

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Whole foods (WF) amino essentials - 3x weekly post resistance/weight lifting
NeoCell Super collagen
365 Adult multi with iron
WF thyroid complete
WF Hair, skin and nails with MSM
Flora enzyme blend
Megafood blood builder

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Sealing nightly with shea butter or castor oil

(I suggest you start off with a 1/4 inch dusting. Going forward, trim the same amount every 6 months. We will be working a lot on our ends during this challenge, so I plan on keeping them in tip top shape)
I still need to do this... o_O I haven't cut my hair since the last time I mentioned it in the grow it long challenge... :drunk:

Top 10 products:
1. Silicon Mix
2. NuNaat Intensive hair mask
3. S curl Curl Activator
4. Sesa herbal hair oil
5. Wild growth hair oil
6. ORS Girls Moisture Rich Conditioner (I use as leave-in)
7. Xtreme Wetline Gel
8. Castor oil
9. Shea Butter
10. Hask Charcoal Shampoo

We will be having mini 6 month challenges to keep the thread interesting and engaging. A check in will be due after each one is complete.

Welcome to the challenge @JoyBelle I see you like braids in your regimen just as much as I do. I've been playing around with them since this past summer and they have slid on up in my regimen permanently.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I've been taking advantage of this nice weather and taking the little one on stroller walks to the park daily. Yesterday we walked almost 3 miles and would you know that child did not want to get out the stroller when we got home?! Talmbout "nooooo mommy fassa fassa (faster)" Mind you, our neighborhood is full of hills and slopes so ya girl was winded. So I've definitely got my cardio in this week.

How are you Ladies doing on the mini challenge? For all the new challengers, we do 3 month long mini challenges throughout the year. If you would like to join in, the first one is listed in the OP. I'll keep listing the mini challenges there so we can keep up with them.

Hope you Ladies have a fab weekend! I'm about to binge watch the 3 part New Edition special then contemplate on what I want to eat for my cheat meal tomorrow. :angeldevil: