Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

NaturalShe94

I haven't been to this thread since early June. Loving the picsss! So much beautiful hair! :love4:

I've been soooo busy with work that I barely touch my hair anymore...
My life is like :office: ... Seriously lol.

However, still bonnets every night, protective styling: plaited buns, or my favorite, and most easiest, a curly flip up. (I'm attempting to upload a pic of my lil curly flip up today but I keep getting an upload erroro_O)
I haven't been super consistent lately as far as my regimen goes.... I barely use products, barely wash it, barely take my vitamins.... I don't think it has affected my growth or length retention though because I haven't seen any breakage, and my hair is def growing.... I co-washed my hair last Sunday and I didn't put ONE product in my hair the entire week! That's the first time I've done that. I cowashed it, let it dry, plait it then bunned it! My hair surprisingly stayed soft throughout the week (not that dry "ugh" feeling) ... However I took the bun down yesterday and let the hair go for two days now, and now it's a tangled dry mess :hair:

Today, I'll actually wash, condition and deep condition, moisturize, seal and whole works just to give my hair some TLC. Something it has def been missing.

tapioca_pudding

I still haven't done a proper length check. But this past weekend I wore my hair in a wash n go, and didnt pin it up in a puff. Normally I hate the way my wng's look just hanging down because it's such an awkward length. But I actually liked how it looked and it hung really nicely. So I assume there is some length retention & growth happening :yay: I'll take it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm so not good with hair dates. I have no clue when my last relaxer was, the day I cut off all my relaxed ends or any of the dates that everybody finds important regarding their hair. But I renewed my LHCF subscription today so that means I've been on the forum for close to 4 years. In that time, I've gone from bleached highlighted transitioning bra strap length hair to fully natural butt length hair. I'm proud of my progress and am happy to say that I have not had any major setbacks. Only a few "nah girl, wrong way" signs. LOL My hair and I have come a long way and have managed to build a pretty solid give and take relationship.

MzSwift

I'm so not good with hair dates. I have no clue when my last relaxer was, the day I cut off all my relaxed ends or any of the dates that everybody finds important regarding their hair. But I renewed my LHCF subscription today so that means I've been on the forum for close to 4 years. In that time, I've gone from bleached highlighted transitioning bra strap length hair to fully natural butt length hair. I'm proud of my progress and am happy to say that I have not had any major setbacks. Only a few "nah girl, wrong way" signs. LOL My hair and I have come a long way and have managed to build a pretty solid give and take relationship.

Congratulations!

Sometimes screen names are so similar but I feel like we were in another challenge together back then -- or maybe I was lurking, LoL. I remember your hair color. Didn't you used to Bantu knot your hair?. If so, you're the reason I Bantu knot my straightened hair to give it a little umph. You've made such awesome progress!!

MzSwift

This has been my surprise protective style since early June. I put in cornrows in order to rock wigs but I've been too darned lazy to even bother with a wig. SMH. So now I cowash, bun them and rock them out with a headband.

View media item 129305
This style has been such a Godsend during this move and I never would've walked out of the house with these janky cornrows in the past. But I guess the baby wrap tied to my chest and dried spit up stains on my clothes put things into perspective for me. LoL

I think my hair will remain like this for another month. KISS!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Congratulations!

Sometimes screen names are so similar but I feel like we were in another challenge together back then -- or maybe I was lurking, LoL. I remember your hair color. Didn't you used to Bantu knot your hair?. If so, you're the reason I Bantu knot my straightened hair to give it a little umph. You've made such awesome progress!!

Yes that was me! I used to roller set then put my hair in 1-3 Bantu knots....still do to maintain sets. I did them and talked about them so much @MileHighDiva named them "lulu knots" LOL

Some days I miss that hair color. Funny enough, it was my reason for going natural. My hair started to break badly and my stylist said it was probably because I was double processed at it was taking a toll. She advised to let go of the bleach or the relaxer. I chose the relaxer! LOL But then after around 2-3 years, the bleached hair started webbing together and breaking too. My hair took off when I let that crap go as well....but it was pretty while it lasted. LOL

image.jpg

image.jpg

MzSwift

Yes! Those are the pictures I remember! Thank you for inspiring me with the bantu knot! Before that, I had been doing too many and my knot out was too curly. You mentioned doing only one knot and how it gave a soft curl and that has been a staple for me when I rock straightened hair. Appreciate you, sis! :)

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I switched over from Purvana Max hsn vitamins to Itworks hair vitamins. If I don't notice a difference after a month or 2 I'll try something new.

I haven't been working out like at all...my new gym doesn't have childcare, so I either have to work out in the wee hours or late late. I've been eating a whole lot better though. I stepped up my fruit and veggie game big time!!

My hair feels healthier since I ditched the wigs. My edges seem to be getting thicker too:yay:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So you walking around here looking sexy based on something I said? :thud: I'm loving your hair. Your going to need to come do mine now :lol: Glad I could help.

Aw, thanks!

:lol:

Yes! It's your fault and @Sharpened 's. She shared videos that completely demystified the process, and you answered all my questions and shared that CRITICAL tip about what to do if you get to the end of your twist and it's very lopsided (lots of hair on one half, little or no hair left on the other half).

faithVA

Aw, thanks!

:lol:

Yes! It's your fault and @Sharpened 's. She shared videos that completely demystified the process, and you answered all my questions and shared that CRITICAL tip about what to do if you get to the end of your twist and it's very lopsided (lots of hair on one half, little or no hair left on the other half).

That's all well and good but when are you coming to do my hair :lol:

MzSwift

I've got a question for the thread:

Do you think it's possible to reach MBL and beyond if one brushes one's hair?

I ask because I keep seeing claims to the opposite, and I just can't be a finger-detangling-only hair carer.

I credit finger detangling and overall low manipulation with helping me get to MBL and beyond as a 4b natural. But I have fine strands so low-no manipulation is optimal for my retention..that and maintaining my protein/moisture balance. HTH!

ETA pix:

It took me 2 years to get from SL to MBL. I'm slow grower and I had never had hair longer than SL in my life so optimal retention is always my goal.

April 2011
View media item 124741
April 2013
View media item 124361

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I credit finger detangling and overall low manipulation with helping me get to MBL and beyond as a 4b natural. But I have fine strands so low-no manipulation is optimal for my retention..that and maintaining my protein/moisture balance. HTH!

ETA pix:

It took me 2 years to get from SL to MBL. I'm slow grower and I had never had hair longer than SL in my life so optimal retention is always my goal.

April 2011
View media item 124741
April 2013
View media item 124361

Amazing growth! Many congratulations! :smile: :yep:

I think I have to come to terms: Maybe I don't yet want it bad enough. I'm unwilling to forego brushing, and I have fine strands.

I'll reassess around January 1, 2018. I'll see what my retention is like having brushed all year to detangle. :yep:

snoop

ETA pix:

April 2011
View media item 124741
April 2013
View media item 124361

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel good! Like you I'd always had short hair (maybe CBL the longest) and thought that my 4c hair was just the type to never grow, but when you achieve those milestones it feels like a whole other world has opened up about we and our hair "can" and "can't" do.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

I ask because I keep seeing claims to the opposite, and I just can't be a finger-detangling-only hair carer.

I think you can reach any length still using brushes, combs or only your fingers as long as you are gentle and not ripping through your hair. I can get away with finger detangling 90% of the time and only running my TEK brush or my TEK comb through here and there.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I think you can reach any length still using brushes, combs or only your fingers as long as you are gentle and not ripping through your hair. I can get away with finger detangling 90% of the time and only running my TEK brush or my TEK comb through here and there.

I meant to add:
If you must use combs/brushes:

When you have tangles or knots, try to work those out with your fingers first.

MzSwift

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel good! Like you I'd always had short hair (maybe CBL the longest) and thought that my 4c hair was just the type to never grow, but when you achieve those milestones it feels like a whole other world has opened up about we and our hair "can" and "can't" do.

:amen:

I rocked my hair in a texlaxed 2-3 inch curly fro for most of my teen and adult life. Whenever I thought about growing my hair out, I was always discouraged by people because I'm not "mixed." When I finally found the hairboards, I just shaved my head and didn't tell anyone what I was doing. Heck, my ultimate goal was APL bc I thought that was the only possibility for me (notice it's the only line marked on my makeshift shirt). People started to respond once it grew past SL though. Once I passed APL, I scolded myself for my limited thinking. Then I started visualizing and made WL. I'm ready for my butt length hair!!:D

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

Finger detangling is the most gentle way to detangle hair, but I don't have the time for alladat. I think you can use brushes and still retain length, so long as you find the most gentle tool for your own hair and use it only when necessary. Wearing styles that keep tangling to a minimum and finger detangling to get the major knots before brushing, also helps.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Finally gave myself a relaxer and my length looks exactly the same lol It's not as thick but guess it's to be expected considering...

I'm over the PS. I think it's starting to react negatively to it. I rather maintain here than to grow thin TBL.

How will you be wearing your hair now? I know you like to rock those lovely wigs.

How is the postpartum shedding now?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I tried a lot of new things for wash day. Oh vey! :ohwell:

Here's what I did, and the results are in the picture below. This hair is huge (pictures don't show it justly!), and I got some breakage of my ends. I feel like the reason for the breakage -- aside from any that might have stemmed from blow drying -- is that the new-to-me deep conditioner was not that great on my hair.
  • Cleanser: HairPrint Chelating Shampoo (looooooove this stuff! It's a plant-based chelating poo that leaves my hair light and springy but not dry)
  • Deep conditioner: Natty Naturals Rhassoul Deep Conditioner
    NOTE: This felt like Komaza Care's Protein treatment on my hair application-wise. Very strange. I left it in overnight. Didn't feel like I got anything from it, but my hair is like that with most DCs. It might be great, I dunno. I definitely couldn't detangle with it.)
  • Heat protectant and leave-in: Chi Total Protect
    NOTE: Smelled like something green (plant-like) and perfume-y all at once. :smile: Did not leave my hair feeling as silky as Chi Silk Infusion. Seemed fine otherwise.
  • Blow dryer (first time ever on natural hair): Lescolton blowdry and styler in one (paddle brush blow dryer)
  • Sealant: Natty Butter
  • Styler: Natty Creme
So, I loved flat twisting on stretched hair. I like the results. I'm wondering if this whole process would fare better were I to use my Chi Silk Infusion instead and my HG DC, Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment. When I tested the blow dryer on a patch with just the Silk Infusion, there was no breakage and things fared MUCH better.

I will try it again sometime, but if I get breakage again, I'll abandon it.

WP_20170805_037.jpg WP_20170805_070.jpg WP_20170805_073.jpg

NaturalShe94

Me in a WnG today. Not really a souped up WnG, but I threw some water in it, a cheap moisturizer and the cheap growth oil that goes with it which was only because it was light and it's wash day so I didn't wanna use my higher end products just for work. However it came out pretty okay to me for a cheapie which I don't really use for my WnG's.
IMG_3182.JPG