Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issues!

lsubabiedee

Re: Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issu

sunnydaze said:
I believe blacks everywhere have these same issues period. We are no further ahead or behind those in other countries.

thank you.

as long as i've been on hair boards, i've read more disturbing things from americans about skin color and hair than anything i just read in that article...switch the DR with any other country with a black population, and you get the same result...i don't know why we cant just be honest with ourselves...there are millions of black people in this country with bad hair issues...

i think it's ironic that this criticism is coming from ladies who frequent dominican salons and buy up dominican products

senimoni

Re: Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issu

LOL.... Pot meet Kettle!!!

bravenewgirl87

Its not that people are criticizing, its that they are in shock. The ladies here have often prided other cultures for being more advance in racial matters than we have in America, and to know that its the same thinking right across the pond is what disturbs us the most. A lot of people who get Dominican hair treatments went there with the expectation that they were going to be treated differently, only to find out that the same secretly insecurities AAs have are shared openly and they were insulted. What bothers people the most is that this article are about people not just living in DR, but in Miami and elsewhere, have any type of money, work in fancy jobs, have education, etc. The lack of remorse for their words is what bothers us the most about this article. The only time these people felt sorry is when the **** hit the fan and they were condemned for saying what they said. I don't think that anyone should be offended by anyone's reaction to this article. clearly the stories expressed about experiences in Dominican salons confirm that these are not another form of false propaganda... i mean, its the truth. The afro-latina ladies here should not take our reaction personally; its not directed towards you. We respect that its your home country and culture that is under fire here. But, if it was Barbados that the article was displaying, I wouldn't feel attacked. i don't share the same views as the people in Barbados and even if I did, i have a right to do so. The truth about my country was put out there for all to see and I cannot deny it.

lsubabiedee

i guess i just don't understand why we think the grass is always greener when people in other places went thru the same treatment we did here. sometimes i think though we hold other people to higher standards than we do ourselves. people here, in america, say worse things about being dark skinned and having nappy hair. i've seen it on every hair board i belong to...yet i don't go around thinking that all black americans think that way...it's not fair to us who dont...just like it's not fair to assume that most dominicans feel the same way the women in the article feel.

bravenewgirl87

lsubabiedee said:
i guess i just don't understand why we think the grass is always greener when people in other places went thru the same treatment we did here. sometimes i think though we hold other people to higher standards than we do ourselves. people here, in america, say worse things about being dark skinned and having nappy hair. i've seen it on every hair board i belong to...yet i don't go around thinking that all black americans think that way...it's not fair to us who dont...just like it's not fair to assume that most dominicans feel the same way the women in the article feel.

We are not assuming that they all think that way, but majority of us have had experiences with Dominicans who do. We just confirmed that it happens. It sucks that we hold anyone to any such standards, but if peoplee don't know that they suffered the same way we did then we don't know. To be honest, I always knew there was conflict between Haitians and Dominican Republicia people, but never to that extreme. Black people lynching black people, for being black? Oh boy.:nono: But, like I said, anyone and everyone should be able to think the way they want to without fear of condemnation on this board.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Yes, this is sad, but am I the only one who believes it's time for folks to wake up and realize God didn't make a mistake when He made them dark skinned with kinky, curly hair? Seriously I can't be passive about it to say, 'it's not their fault they believe black is bad, etc etc. I mean, we no longer have white people telling us we are ugly... we do it to ourselves. I don't feel sorry for them and their beliefs. If they want to wallow in self hate/pity, so be it.

After reading this, how many will still support Dominican salons? I know not all Dominicans feel this way, but isn't this an eye opener to anyone?

Creatividual

wow! and i thought us black/african americans had hair issues. i mean we do but i really didn't know it was like that over that. that's so sad. it's almost as if ur not deemed a human being if you don't have straight hair over there.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

vivacious1083 said:
wow! and i thought us black/african americans had hair issues. i mean we do but i really didn't know it was like that over that. that's so sad. it's almost as if ur not deemed a human being if you don't have straight hair over there.

I must admit, it seems worse to be you over there than it does here.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

delta_gyrl said:
It's really sad that black is considered vile by so many. Moving to the northeast really opened my eyes to what was going on in the latin community.

I had an ex co-worker who is dominican and we became really close. She is dark and we have the same head of hair. Needless to say, for her, growing up was NOT fun. She hipped me to all of the dominican spots and salons in my area. That was my GIRL.

It's really interesting because light (white) skinned puerto ricans are considered the most beautiful. Brainwashing 101.

ETA- How in the hell do you brainwash millions and millions of people to hate themselves?????

Good question! I mean you mean to tell me there wasn't a group of people who were like 'who are you to tell me just because of my hair texture and color that I am not beautiful!' This goes to show negativity many times outweighs the positive.

bravenewgirl87

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Yes, this is sad, but am I the only one who believes it's time for folks to wake up and realize God didn't make a mistake when He made them dark skinned with kinky, curly hair? Seriously I can't be passive about it to say, 'it's not their fault they believe black is bad, etc etc. I mean, we no longer have white people telling us we are ugly... we do it to ourselves. I don't feel sorry for them and their beliefs. If they want to wallow in self hate/pity, so be it.

After reading this, how many will still support Dominican salons? I know not all Dominicans feel this way, but isn't this an eye opener to anyone?

I never supported them. When i got my first blowout and realized how much pain I had to go through just get my hair straight, i said "this **** is crazy and so are these ladies for doing this to themselves". Its a SERIOUS health hazard. Its not like you hair can't catch aflame! And everyone here got pissed at me for saying it. But, you know what? I'm a bit insulted that everyone is acting like AAs don't have a right to be disturbed by this article. Its DISTURBING! People here are acting like we are the only one who have the right to be this disillusioned. Even if it takes the mistakes of others to show us ours, at least we are waking up and trying to do better.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

bravenewgirl87 said:
I never supported them. When i got my first blowout and realized how much pain I had to go through just get my hair straight, i said "this **** is crazy and so are these ladies for doing this to themselves". Its a SERIOUS health hazard. Its not like you hair can't catch aflame! And everyone here got pissed at me for saying it. But, you know what? I'm a bit insulted that everyone is acting like AAs don't have a right to be disturbed by this article. Its DISTURBING! People here are acting like we are the only one who have the right to be this disillusioned. Even if it takes the mistakes of others to show us ours, at least we are waking up and trying to do better.

I agree with everything you said. We are making strides over here to be more accepting of our race. Are we there yet? Nope. Can we be saddened, shocked and upset at our brothers and sisters overseas who are harboring and spewing this mess to their future generations? Yes.

TJD3

YoungWavey said:
WTF...this really makes you wanna say kiss my a$$:mad:

I dont care what anybody has ever said, because I always say they are spanish speaking haitians. Anyway...

My first and last experience at a dominican salon was just super annoying and saddening.I went to get a blow out, and I had my hair in a scrunched up ponytail. Well everybody was looking at me like what the heck was I doing in there. I looked around at most of them with their weaves and hair much shorter than mine, and thought the nerve.

Anyway, after a wash and a blow out, my hair was almost apl. It was full and bouncy, and all them hephers did was stare. The lady that did the blow out looked so proud and happy with herself. As I was paying, the lady asked me was I mixed with something to have such nice hair. I looked her square in the eye and told her "nope, all black. Matter of fact, Im haitian". She had the most startled look on her face as did the rest of them. I just walked out really satisfied at first, then as I drove home, I got sad. I thought what a shame that to these woman I and them only had worth based on how silky our hair was, and not about whom we were:( .

After that ofcourse I never went back. Not to mention, that was waaaayyyyy to much heat on my head. It was just a yucky experience overall.

My neighbor is dominican (darkewith 3c hair). Her mother is a black dominican woman, but they are super duper sweet. One time her daughter got in an argument with my daughter and her annoying little boy jumped in and told my daughter they didnt like her anyway cause she was black. Mind you, these children are dark with 2c hair. I walked over there, girl Im sure you could have seen the smoke coming out of my ears. I told his little butt he had some nerve when his mother and grandmother were almost as dark as me. I also reminded him that he should run inside cause he was getting darker by the minute since and his sister were also dark. I told him to make sure and run home and tell that!

When the father who is a white PR came over complaining I told him I dont deal with grown children and I for sure dont deal with that ridiculous mess. His kids came over looking for a fight, and ohhh honey they got one! There was no talking to him, but when his wife came home she was mortified. She apologized for everything, and we have since become pretty close. I will not lie to you though when I tell you, I cant stand those kids:(. Its sad, but they know it too. Its almost as if there is an unspoken thing between us. When they say something that they know is over the line, they tend to look at me and I give them that look. Sometimes I wish we could move:(. Too much drama!

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop

bravenewgirl87 said:

And hey anyone can look at relaxers the same way. Its a SERIOUS health hazard. Its not like your scalp can't be burned to high hell from the chemicals.

Aren't the Dominicans trying to do the same, wake up and try better?

senimoni

Wasn't saying that people can't be shocked or saddened....but there is def an attitude of THEY are sad...LOOK at THEM.....WE AREN'T that Bad/Sad...iso, oh wow I didn't realize they are dealing with the same issues as we are... (not all comments but a good amount). Its not who is Good..Better...Best...b/c its all "disheartening" regardless...why the need to rank.

Good Point WildChild....I thought about that too.

nissi

Crazy, huh? Part of my double major was in Latin American studies, so this is old news. Nice to get the perspective on places like Venezuela and Honduras. If i had known blacks were there, i would have definitely gone to those countries for independent study. I took an Afro-Hispanic Literature course at Howard, and my professor also confirmed the social craziness for Latin blacks.

I went to RD when I was 15 for a language program for 3 weeks, and what an experience! :eek: I, a darker chocolate lady, soon learned that all the dark-skinned people were maids and servants and the white folks were on the top of the social chain. :ohwell:

Now, the social structure did seem to have some ties to income and class. The poverty there was striking to me and did affect "whiter" Dominicans. But from what i observed, skin tone was the primary distinguisher among the population.

One country club that my "whiter" host family visited with me refused to let them in with me there (they tried to hide it, but i figured it out)! I was called "morena" (black girl) in the street by at least 1-2 men. Whateva.

But overall i enjoyed the experience though. Even though i never got my hair done there! :cry: :cry2: :cry3: If only i knew then what i know now!

It didn't bother me much as i had already been through it with u.s. blacks (i.e., "you're a pretty dark," like dark isn't pretty), but it definitely gave me a global view and understanding of the impact of skin tone and hair, all around the world. It's an undercurrent that cannot be underestimated. I find that it can only be surpassed by who I am as a blood-bought Child of the King! :king:

All I can say is that the spirit of a woman counts the most! Who am I under this skin? Am I loving? Am I forgiving? That's what matters. I am glad that i know that the Lord made me individually as I should be -- no mistakes! I do NOT apologize for being me! :rosebud:

TJD3

nissi said:
Crazy, huh? Part of my double major was in Latin American studies, so this is old news. Nice to get the perspective on places like Venezuela and Honduras. If i had known blacks were there, i would have definitely gone to those countries for independent study. I took an Afro-Hispanic Literature course at Howard, and my professor also confirmed the social craziness for Latin blacks.

I went to RD when I was 15 for a language program for 3 weeks, and what an experience! :eek: I, a darker chocolate lady, soon learned that all the dark-skinned people were maids and servants and the white folks were on the top of the social chain. :ohwell:

Now, the social structure did seem to have some ties to income and class. The poverty there was striking to me and did affect "whiter" Dominicans. But from what i observed, skin tone was the primary distinguisher among the population.

One country club that my "whiter" host family visited with me refused to let them in with me there (they tried to hide it, but i figured it out)! I was called "morena" (black girl) in the street by at least 1-2 men. Whateva.

But overall i enjoyed the experience though. Even though i never got my hair done there! :cry: :cry2: :cry3: If only i knew then what i know now!

It didn't bother me much as i had already been through it with u.s. blacks (i.e., "you're a pretty dark," like dark isn't pretty), but it definitely gave me a global view and understanding of the impact of skin tone and hair, all around the world. It's an undercurrent that cannot be underestimated. I find that it can only be surpassed by who I am as a blood-bought Child of the King! :king:

All I can say is that the spirit of a woman counts the most! Who am I under this skin? Am I loving? Am I forgiving? That's what matters. I am glad that i know that the Lord made me individually as I should be -- no mistakes! I do NOT apologize for being me! :rosebud:

I know thats right!

spelmanlocks

bravenewgirl87 said:
I'm a bit insulted that everyone is acting like AAs don't have a right to be disturbed by this article. Its DISTURBING! People here are acting like we are the only one who have the right to be this disillusioned. Even if it takes the mistakes of others to show us ours, at least we are waking up and trying to do better.

I agree. We should be disturbed. I would be disturbed if we weren't. We shouldn't take a standpoint like 'oh well sad, that's just the way it is'.

Also, from my experiences living here and abroad African Americans are making a lot of great strides in improving the image of blackness (even though more can be done). According to some statistic I read we are the richest group of Africans/blacks in the world. We have organizations like the NAACP, National Urban League, over 100 black colleges and universities, black politicians, etc. A lot of other black populations don't have these things. Some may have them, but not in as great a number. And I believe that although black people here have our divisions we do for the most part somewhat get along, this site is just an example. So I agree African Americans are at least trying, (not to say these other countries aren't trying). Also, I've read that Brazil which has a huge black population is actually one of the worst places to be black. I've never been, but this is what I constantly read.

Last edited:

jasmin

How disappointing and racist that they have taken on what white people have said about us.

I will never go to their salon....thought about it for a quick minute.

Last edited:

imstush

bravenewgirl87 said:

Nope, that's not why.:)

But anyhoo, either way I agree with your posts

bravenewgirl87

Wildchild453 said:
And hey anyone can look at relaxers the same way. Its a SERIOUS health hazard. Its not like your scalp can't be burned to high hell from the chemicals.

Aren't the Dominicans trying to do the same, wake up and try better?

I'm saying that there is no reason for ANYONE to feel personally attacked or offended. Its unfair for us to choose sides in this situation because African-Americans and Haitians were both attacked in the article. They have every right to be.. they were attacked! I think everyone just needs to take it down a notch and stop making it about them. I've always said there is entirely too much racial propaganda on this board and the reactions to this article is a prime example. Did anyone ask how the Haitian females feel, having their past dug up and put on display in this article? How do you the African-American females feel? People are saying, " this article isn't accurate", but it came from the MIAMI HERALD; A very reputable source. this isn't the first time this has been drawn to America's attention. Look the issue up on the internet... its there! Hell, this threads is hundreds of posts long on people's experience with prejuidice in DR salons. i just don't get why everyone has to censored from expressing how they feel about the issue just because we have A-L women on this board. Did BlasianBeauty get up in arms when we talk about Amerie's concert tickets not selling in Korea because she was half-black? What about Glossyxlipz or PinoyPrincess? What about Camilia and all the statements we make about white women taking our men? Does she get mad and want us to stop? None of them took it personally so why is anyone else taking this article personally?
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited:

ShaniKeys

What a coincidence, I read this article online just two days ago. After the Puerto Rican Day parade in NY I started looking up all kinds of things about Latino's, and I started reading about intra-racism and stuff like that...interesting article.

divya

Good article...addresses the historical/cultural reasons for the mentality existing among many Dominicans. Ethnic issues are everywhere...

...but that's why I prefer to go to Ethiopians/Eritreans now. The stylist in my family only does hair part-time now, so I now go to an Eritrean lady. It's SUCH a big difference. She tells me NOT to relax my hair and that she can do naturally. And when she's done, my hair looks and feels BETTER than when the Dominicans do it!

(Ladies in the D.C. area, I can give you her info if you like)

klb120475

bravenewgirl87 said:
Just another one of the reasons why i want to leave LHCF, drama over foolishness.

No, need to leave....I luv your your posts.:)

bravenewgirl87

klb120475 said:
No, need to leave....I luv your your posts.:)
I just think that its crazy that there is a box over one ethnic group. People take things to personal. If we are going to be one-sided like that, then lets never say anything about white women, asian women, middle-easterns, polynesians.. no one. Everybody is exempt from any criticism. It must be fair that way.

jasmin

I'm with ya bravenewgirl. It's like we are suppose to relate to these racist people that look at us and think we are bad. They think black is ugly. I had to kick a friend who just happen to be a Black Cuban continue to say how he doesn't want to be black.

It's is not our plight to relate to other races that felt bad about thier hair and at the same time despise us as a people.

I'm very offended.

bravenewgirl87

jasmin said:
I'm with ya bravenewgirl. It's like we are suppose to relate to these racist people that look at us and think we are bad. They think black is ugly. I had to kick a friend who just happen to be a Black Cuban continue to say how he doesn't want to be black.

It's is not our plight to relate to other races that felt bad about thier hair and at the same time despise us as a people.

I'm very offended.

I just think that there should be no caps on any race. We don't respect anyone here, as far as race is concerned. We don't censor ourselves when we talk about whites or anyone else. Either we get strict with the rules and say, " can't talk about any other ethnicity beside your own", or all rules get thrown out. But, there cannot be a special box. Does anyone even bother to ask me if I am black or bi-racial... better yet, afro-latina when they discuss issues concerning races? No. Everyone just carries on with no regards for how I feel about it because they are expressing their truths about the issue at hand. So, let us not take these stories personal, no one is judging anyone here, and just carry on with the thread...ladies.:)

klb120475

bravenewgirl87 said:
I just think that there should be no caps on any race. We don't respect anyone here, as far as race is concerned. We don't censor ourselves when we talk about whites or anyone else. Either we get strict with the rules and say, " can't talk about any other ethnicity beside your own", or all rules get thrown out. But, there cannot be a special box. Does anyone even bother to ask me if I am black or bi-racial... better yet, afro-latina when they discuss issues concerning races? No. Everyone just carries on with no regards for how I feel about it because they are expressing their truths about the issue at hand. So, let us not take these stories personal, no one is judging anyone here, and just carry on with the thread...ladies.:)

So be it.....carry on ladies.:)

Caramel55

I'm just a little bit shocked that anyone would be surprised that Blacks weren't the only people who suffered the effects of white supremacist thinking. It's just been the kind of thing been studied scientifically since the 1940's. :ohwell: It really boggles my mind that this would be news to anyone.

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop

bravenewgirl87 said:
I'm saying that there is no reason for ANYONE to feel personally attacked or offended. Its unfair for us to choose sides in this situation because African-Americans and Haitians were both attacked in the article. They have every right to be.. they were attacked! I think everyone just needs to take it down a notch and stop making it about them. I've always said there is entirely too much racial propaganda on this board and the reactions to this article is a prime example. Did anyone ask how the Haitian females feel, having their past dug up and put on display in this article? How do you the African-American females feel? People are saying, " this article isn't accurate", but it came from the MIAMI HERALD; A very reputable source. this isn't the first time this has been drawn to America's attention. Look the issue up on the internet... its there! Hell, this threads is hundreds of posts long on people's experience with prejuidice in DR salons. i just don't get why everyone has to censored from expressing how they feel about the issue just because we have A-L women on this board. Did BlasianBeauty get up in arms when we talk about Amerie's concert tickets not selling in Korea because she was half-black? What about Glossyxlipz or PinoyPrincess? What about Camilia and all the statements we make about white women taking our men? Does she get mad and want us to stop? None of them took it personally so why is anyone else taking this article personally?
[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm lost as to why my post was picked out of all but I'll bite...I'm that easy.

I don't understand how this article is an attack on anyone. Its more of an exploration of racial issues that are a part of Dominican culture...the same issues that affect AA culture and if you look deeply enough other Black cultures.

Yes ppl are saying the article isn't accurate, most notably the Dominican woman who joined just to speak out about it. They are probably saying its not accurate b/c it doesn't reflect her experience within her own culture. It has nothing to do w/ the reputation of the newspaper but personal experience. So its wrong for her or anyone else to speak out against based on personal views the article but its ok for others to offer their personal experiences to prove the article right?

I didn't see anything about censorship once in this thread. If I missed it pls point it out to me.

I just think this whole thing gets ridiculous when ppl starting hating on an entire ethnicity b/c of an article, saying they will never to the salon again or be around those ppl again. How can someone not get offended? Any woman would be offended if a person of another ethnicity or race was commenting on how they would never be around Black ppl again b/c they read an article about how they steal or some crap like that.

jasmin said:

It is our plight b/c although they are not the same enthnicity as others their race is the same...Black. Look more division amongst Black ppl of the world

Umm,bravenewgirl,might i ask if ur siggy is a joke or r u serious????????