Holidays Days Throughout The Year - I Did Not Know Some of These Days Existence..

star

....did you know? I put an * next to ones I did not know.

Common 2008 US & Canada Holidays

New Year's Day: January 1

Martin Luther King Day: January 21

Groundhog Day: February 02

Ash Wednesday: February 06

Lincoln's Birthday: February 12

Valentine's Day: February 14

Canada Flag Day: February 15

President's Day: February 18

Washington's Birthday: February 22

Leap Year Day: February 29

Commonwealth Day – Canada: March 10

Palm Sunday: March 16

St. Patrick's Day: March 17

Purim: Sundown March 19

Good Friday: March 21

Easter: Sunday, March 23

April Fool's Day: April 1

Passover Begins: April 19

Earth Day: April 22

Eastern Orthodox Easter: April 27

Holocaust Remembrance Day: Sundown May 01

*Cinco de Mayo: May 5

Mother's Day: May 11

Victoria Day – Canada: May 19

Memorial Day: Monday, May 26

* Shavuot: Sundown June 08

US Flag Day: June 14

* Juneteenth: June 19

Father's Day: June 15

Canada Day: July 1

US Independence Day: July 04

Provincial Day – Canada: August 4

Labor Day: September 01

Rosh Hashanah: Sundown September 29

Yom Kippur: Sundown October 08

* Sukkoth Begins: Sundown October 13 (dont really know what this is)

Columbus Day: October 13

Thanksgiving Day – Canada: October 13

Halloween: October 31

All Saint's Day: November 1

*All Soul's Day: November 2

Veterans Day – US: November 11

Remembrance Day – Canada: November 11

Thanksgiving Day – US: November 27

*World Aids Day: December 01

Chanukah Begins: Sundown December 21

Christmas Day: December 25

Kwanzaa Begins: December 26

*Boxing Day: December 26

New Year's Eve: December 31

We love holidays in this country. Now just add on birthdays, graduations, anniversary, and wedding days. Now this does not have Mother's day, father's day and grand parent's day but we do honor those as special days but not holidays. There is alot of opportunites to share love and togetherness throughout the year with friends, families, communites and even strangers.

HWAY

Juneteenth marks the day American slaves were told they were free from slavery. Union officers rode on horseback to different towns and plantations in the south so some slaves were told of their freedom on June 15, some on June 16, on up to June 19. My mother is from Texas and she says she never celebrated July 4th as Independence Day as a child. That was not considered Independence Day for African Americans in her community. It's supposed to be a day to commemorate how far we as a people have come since slavery, give honor to our ancestors and thank God for blessing us and keeping us safe as a people. There are many communities here in the north that have Juneteenth festivals.

star

Juneteenth marks the day American slaves were told they were free from slavery. Union officers rode on horseback to different towns and plantations in the south so some slaves were told of their freedom on June 15, some on June 16, on up to June 19. My mother is from Texas and she says she never celebrated July 4th as Independence Day as a child. That was not considered Independence Day for African Americans in her community. It's supposed to be a day to commemorate how far we as a people have come since slavery, give honor to our ancestors and thank God for blessing us and keeping us safe as a people. There are many communities here in the north that have Juneteenth festivals.

Thanks for sharing. I did not know what this was. If I heard of it in the past I must have forgotten or it was not explained to me correctly because this is an important day to remember about our people.