Hair Butters (Mango, Shea, Cocoa, and many more)

TGrigley

Hi, ladies. I was interested in hear people's opinions of mango butter and cocoa butter. I currently use a mixture of coconut oil and shea butter and want to venture out and use other butters. I would also like to know if you mix the butters with anything and where could I find mango or cocoa butter. Thank you ladies. I am anticipating the responses.

Allandra

Hi, ladies. I was interested in hear people's opinions of mango butter and cocoa butter. I currently use a mixture of coconut oil and shea butter and want to venture out and use other butters. I would also like to know if you mix the butters with anything and where could I find mango or cocoa butter. Thank you ladies. I am anticipating the responses.

I bet the shea butter and coconut oil mix that you made is nice. Those two mixed together make for a great hair moisturizer or body moisturizer.

Barbara

Princess
If I want to get rid of them, I mixed them into my secondary conditioner: Motions Moisture Plus.

sydwrites

Cocoa butter is cool, I used sugaplum(sp) version of Curly Pudding recipe( I found it in what is now Natural Living section) and it calls for cocoa butter and it worked pretty good. Its soft and isnt real expensive. I'm currently in love with shea butter mixed with jojoba or coconut oil. Here is the link to my post on places to find butters. My last order was from iHerb.com since I wanted to buy more than just butters and it was fast and cheap. Shipping if $4 (flat fee) and you can use code SAB871 if you've never shopped there before for $5 off.

Vonnieluvs08

Bumping....

Want to start making butters but don't know which ones are the best to use? What recipes do you have for moisturizing hair butters?

txnatural409

Bumping....

Want to start making butters but don't know which ones are the best to use? What recipes do you have for moisturizing hair butters?

I use kokum butter, irish moss, & jamaican black castor oil. Seems like a odd mix, but it's really moisturizing for my hair. :grin:

BostonMaria

I love avocado butter - very thick and looks like it would go on greasy, but doesn't
Shea butter is great on my ends. I used to whip my own shea butter, but now I enjoy it unrefined.
I thought almond butter and mango butter were too grainy for my taste. If I buy it again it'll be by a company that is mixing them up for me. I can't get it to not be grainy when I buy it as is.

If you want to buy butters that are already whipped then I recommend Afroveda and Shescentit. If you want to buy the butter by itself then I recommend texas natural supply. I am going to buy the coffee butter and hemp seed butter soon.

JollyGal

Mango butter is the base for most hair conditioners so it must be a great butter. If you mix coconut oil with mango butter it will make a great light summer butter.

Cocoa butter is fantastic. I hear it has heat protecting ability.

Shea is the mother of all butters (pure unbleached unadulterated). I love her to pieces lol. Shea mixed with olive oil is good for fading scars and stretch marks. Shea is strong and VERY nutty

How about mumuru butteR? Murumuru is a creamy coloured Brazilian tree butter which is well known for its powerful emollient qualities, being both anti-inflammatory & jam packed full of Vitamin A.

It helps to retain moisture, restore natural sheen & softness & improve the flexibility of your hair. Absolutely brilliant for dry hair, this conditioning butter creates a permeable barrier that prevents moisture loss whilst keeping your skin moist & tresses hydrated & pliable.

Murumuru is ideal for the treatment of lifeless and damaged hair. It is highly recommended for Afro-ethnic hair care. The Vitamin A content is three times higher than a carrots!

Tip! Melt 1 tablespoon of Murumuru & comb or massage through damp hair as a pre-wash conditioner. It can be used as a leave in conditioner for afro hairstyles.

txnatural409

Murumuru is ideal for the treatment of lifeless and damaged hair. It is highly recommended for Afro-ethnic hair care. The Vitamin A content is three times higher than a carrots!

I've been hearing rave reviews about murumuru butter but I'm having trouble finding it to purchase. Where do you get yours?

chebaby

the only butter i use is shea butter.
like you all stated i mix mine with coconut oil and use it from head to toe. i love that stuff. in fact i have it in my hair now and its so soft. i also use it on my face and not on does it keep my skin soft but it gives me a glow. i really love it.
when i get some money i may order some more butters to mix and see what i get.

Vonnieluvs08

Thanks ladies. I have really dry hair in the winter and I know now as a natural its going to be worst and want to be proactive about it.

The murmuru butter sounds really good. I can get shea local but the rest i'll have to order and I want to make sure I get the right one or ones. I was going to try a premade one too but I know i'll need a lot and would rather make one. Plus I love mixing up stuff for the hair.

Keep the ideas coming ladies. TIA

La Colocha

Thanks ladies. I have really dry hair in the winter and I know now as a natural its going to be worst and want to be proactive about it.

The murmuru butter sounds really good. I can get shea local but the rest i'll have to order and I want to make sure I get the right one or ones. I was going to try a premade one too but I know i'll need a lot and would rather make one. Plus I love mixing up stuff for the hair.

Keep the ideas coming ladies. TIA

What saved my hair last winter is avocado butter. It keeps my hair really soft.

JollyGal

I've been hearing rave reviews about murumuru butter but I'm having trouble finding it to purchase. Where do you get yours?

akamuti but they do not ship outside of europe

Anita grant sells it and she ships to the USA.

http://www.gardenstatenaturals.com/store/murumurubutter-p-2.html

http://ethicalonestopshop.com/eoss/...tin+fabulous+hair+conditioning+butter/pid/620

^this website is also selling the akamuti one

Do you have any natural health stores near you?

txnatural409

akamuti but they do not ship outside of europe

Anita grant sells it and she ships to the USA.

http://www.gardenstatenaturals.com/store/murumurubutter-p-2.html

http://ethicalonestopshop.com/eoss/...tin+fabulous+hair+conditioning+butter/pid/620

^this website is also selling the akamuti one

Do you have any natural health stores near you?

Thanks for the info! I see now that murumuru butter is a little pricey, 1 lb/$23.95 excluding shipping. :ohwell: But I will order some soon, it seems like it's worth it. I live in Houston and there is MAYBE 3 or 4 natural health stores that I have found. We do have four Whole Foods stores here though. I go in there every now and then to browse things.

txnatural409

That sounds like a great mix. :yep: Do you mind providing the exact proportions you use/the recipe? TIA! :D

Actually, I don't measure exactly how much oh each ingredient I use even though I should. I got the kokum butter from FNWL and it comes in blocks, just like the shea butter. I usually break off a pinky's length of kokum butter to use, about 2 inches tall. As far as irish moss, I found out about this herb on one of this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=117790

Follow her exact instructions on this. I didn't have the actual whole irish moss. I have irish moss powder. I used three tablespoons of irish moss with 3 1/2 cups of water. I took it off the stove and let it set for 20 minutes. It should become thicker. I poured this in the blender with the kokum butter. Let it blend until it gets thick enough for you, mine looked like a shake. Then I added about two tablespoons of jamaican black castor oil, and if I have it, I would mix in two tablespoons of olive oil too. I use half of the mix and store the other half. I slather it over my hair real good and leave it on for at least an two hours. I've never tried leaving it on all night though. The longest I've left it on was 6 hours and my hair came out lovely and luxurious! :grin: HTH

naijamerican

Actually, I don't measure exactly how much oh each ingredient I use even though I should. I got the kokum butter from FNWL and it comes in blocks, just like the shea butter. I usually break off a pinky's length of kokum butter to use, about 2 inches tall. As far as irish moss, I found out about this herb on one of this thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=117790

Follow her exact instructions on this. I didn't have the actual whole irish moss. I have irish moss powder. I used three tablespoons of irish moss with 3 1/2 cups of water. I took it off the stove and let it set for 20 minutes. It should become thicker. I poured this in the blender with the kokum butter. Let it blend until it gets thick enough for you, mine looked like a shake. Then I added about two tablespoons of jamaican black castor oil, and if I have it, I would mix in two tablespoons of olive oil too. I use half of the mix and store the other half. I slather it over my hair real good and leave it on for at least an two hours. I've never tried leaving it on all night though. The longest I've left it on was 6 hours and my hair came out lovely and luxurious! :grin: HTH

Me and my hair thank you very, very much! :yep: :D

Vonnieluvs08

What saved my hair last winter is avocado butter. It keeps my hair really soft.

Are you using this straight or are you mixing it with something else?

I use kokum butter, irish moss, & jamaican black castor oil. Seems like a odd mix, but it's really moisturizing for my hair. :grin:

So you use this mostly as a DC and not a leave-in? How is the kokum butter alone?

I love avocado butter - very thick and looks like it would go on greasy, but doesn't
Shea butter is great on my ends. I used to whip my own shea butter, but now I enjoy it unrefined.
I thought almond butter and mango butter were too grainy for my taste. If I buy it again it'll be by a company that is mixing them up for me. I can't get it to not be grainy when I buy it as is.

If you want to buy the butter by itself then I recommend texas natural supply. I am going to buy the coffee butter and hemp seed butter soon.

How was it grainy like you can see particles in your hair? As you emulsify(sp?) it in your hand it becomes grainy?
Thanks for the recommendation. The prices look good.

La Colocha

Are you using this straight or are you mixing it with something else?

So you use this mostly as a DC and not a leave-in? How is the kokum butter alone?

How was it grainy like you can see particles in your hair? As you emulsify(sp?) it in your hand it becomes grainy?
Thanks for the recommendation. The prices look good.

I used it straight, its good alone. Bm is right about the mango butter from there i just got mine today, it is grainy, like it breaks up in little pieces when you rub it. It desolved but id try to melt it down and whip it. I think it would leave bits in your hair just using it as is.

La Colocha

I want to try the avocado butter this winter..I LOVE the avocado oil so I can only imagine how good the butter is...

I think you might like it traycee, and you only need to use a little, it lasts a long time. I have the oil and i like it also.

Creatividual

That murumuru butter sounds good to me. I'd mix it with shea butter and whip it (with some oils, aloe vera gel, and honey) ....

txnatural409

I haven't tried using as a leave-in, good idea! But currently, I use it as a DC for my hair. :yep: I've used whipped kokum butter alone on my skin after a shower but I didn't too much like it. :ohwell: It's a little too thick for my taste, maybe I'm whipping it up wrong. :perplexed