Hair Butters (Mango, Shea, Cocoa, and many more)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Even though I just bought a Couple of Seyani Butters and Gillian Butter from the SheScentIt Sale, I will definitely be looking into purchasing Avacado Butter, Macadamia Nut and a Couple of Others from Texas Supply to get me through the Winter months.:yep:

Butters sound like they are the missing link to keep hair moisturized, soft & supple for those colder months.:yep:

FindingMe

Ok so I'm having a slow moment here. When you say 'whip it' what are you doing exactly? TIA

I'd like to know exactly how to WHIP butters as well. :perplexed Do you just add oil and melt and mix/whip? Or are you just melting and then whipping it? Or something else altogether? ... :ohwell:

Ltown

Greyland
subscribing...

I have some cocoa butter that I have no idea what to do with. Any suggestions?

I put my cocoa butter in a jar, then place it in a small pot of water on the stove to melt/soft it. Then mix it with shea butter, mango, coconut oil and some other oils and essential oil. If your shea butter is soft it will whip with fork/spoon, mixer or wisk. If not you could put it in a jar over heat to melt it a little.

loveisnthehouse

Ive decided to that I am going to try and make some good DC with different butters. Once I get this first formula down with shea butter and coconut cream i will venture out and try more. I am so excited!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Ordered some Butters today from Texas Natural Supply I got:

Almond
Avacado
Hemp Seed
Jojoba
Olive
Shea
Macadamia Nut

So, it looks like Imma Be all Butter'd Up For Fall/Winter.:lick:

FindingMe

I put my cocoa butter in a jar, then place it in a small pot of water on the stove to melt/soft it. Then mix it with shea butter, mango, coconut oil and some other oils and essential oil. If your shea butter is soft it will whip with fork/spoon, mixer or wisk. If not you could put it in a jar over heat to melt it a little.

Got it!:grin: :thankyou:

Vonnieluvs08

I'm trying to get my hair together for the winter and I know butters are going to be that missing link. I'm ready to whip up some great butters. I'm thinking of ordering from Texas Natural Supply.

Butters:
Avocado
Hemp Seed
Illipe Seed
Kokum
Shea
Mango

Oils:
Sweet Almond
Jojoba
Hemp Seed
Avocado

I downloaded some recipes but I'm still looking for more. If any of you ladies have good butter recipes please add them. What fragrance/essential oils do you mix in?

MilaXs3

I love avocado butter - very thick and looks like it would go on greasy, but doesn't
Shea butter is great on my ends. I used to whip my own shea butter, but now I enjoy it unrefined.
I thought almond butter and mango butter were too grainy for my taste. If I buy it again it'll be by a company that is mixing them up for me. I can't get it to not be grainy when I buy it as is.

If you want to buy butters that are already whipped then I recommend Afroveda and Shescentit. If you want to buy the butter by itself then I recommend texas natural supply. I am going to buy the coffee butter and hemp seed butter soon.

I like the avocado butter also, I tried the mango butter from elasta qp and it was nice, but my hair loves the avocado butter better...:yep:

Nouvelle

Bumping for Butter recipes....

It's not much, but it makes an excellent hair and skin moisturizer:

8oz of raw shea butter
4 tbsp of castor oil or coconut oil

Whip until thick for around 5 minutes. You can whip it longer if you want, this is just what works for me. After it's done you should have a nice, buttercream consistency. I've just ordered some fragrance oils from saveonscents.com and I'm hoping they turn out alright. I think I ordered caramel, german chocolate cake, very creamy vanilla(or something like that) and two or three more fragrance oils. HTH a little:)

Last edited:

chebaby

i mix shea butter and coconut oil and use that on my hair and skin.
i love unrefined yellow african shea butter. when i get it is is soooo creamy and buttery at the same time. not too hard not too soft.

i just ordered:
olive butter
avocado butter
almond butter
coffee butter

the first mix i plan on making is a mix of coffee and almond butter mixed with coconut oil. i think thats a great mix right there but i may add jbco to make sure its extra moisturizing.

i plan on buying some oils from whole foods this weekend.
i want macadamia oil, sweet almond oil and jojoba oil.

at home i only have coconut, olive and black castor oil. i have others but they are mixed.

Keedah

Ive been wanting to experiment with butters too but the choices are overwhelming. i know my hair loves Oyin Whipped Pudding so Ima try to replicate that as best I can.

txnatural409

Ive been wanting to experiment with butters too but the choices are overwhelming. i know my hair loves Oyin Whipped Pudding so Ima try to replicate that as best I can.

That is a good product! I recommend avocado or mowrah butter as your first butters to experiment with since you've tried shea & cocoa butter with the Whipped Pudding. :yep:

FindingMe

I tried to whip up a cocoa butter mix with essential oils and a little shea, but when it fully solidified back, it is really grainy. What did I do wrong? Is there a way I can fix? Do I need to break out my blender/mixer?

leleepop

I am very sensitive and tried shea but it broke me out. I now use mango butter, with castor oil, and stir it together to a whipped consistency. I add sweet orange essential oil for the scent. This works well for me.

Ltown

Greyland
I tried to whip up a cocoa butter mix with essential oils and a little shea, but when it fully solidified back, it is really grainy. What did I do wrong? Is there a way I can fix? Do I need to break out my blender/mixer?
It's got to be the shea butter that is grainy, do you any aloe vera gel? Maybe the mixer will work!

Nouvelle

I was curious, how did the cocoa butter smell? Does it really smell like chocolate?

Last edited:

Vonnieluvs08

I read some where that there are times when you heat a butter too fast or too hot when it cools down it can become grainy. Also certain butters (mango I know for sure) can be grainy on their own.

How is this mixture working for you?

winona

In order for me not to get the graininess from Mango Butter. i melt it down and pour it into a container leaving the grains in the pot. I just rinse the pot in the sink when I am down. I still get the benefits minus the grains:)

chebaby

i just started using coffe butter from texas naturals and it makes my hair soooo soft. i mean it just melts right into my hair making it shiny and soft. i love it. i have some other butters to try out but shea butter is always my fave. but coffee is amazing too. it would be great for a pre poo.

lucea

Where is everyone buying their butters?

Tx Naturals and FNWL seem to have a lot of hydrogenated oils in their butters. I don't know if it's possible to make some of these butters without hydrogenated oils. I am looking for butters that are as natural as unrefined shea butter. I know I'll need lots of moisture for this winter.

Last edited: