How Can You Avoid Breakage with Protective Styles?

tryn2growmyhair

I have seen a lot of posts about breakage from protective styles or breakage from phony ponies/buns. How have you been able to avoid this? I have just started baggies/protective styles and would love to know because this breakage would completely defeat the purpose of these styles. Thanks.

KAddy

Although I don't wear protective styles often, I would say that changing up where you wear your bun helps a lot. Move it lower or higher or to a side or something so the stress won't be in the exact same spot all the time.

BklynHeart

KAddy said:
Although I don't wear protective styles often, I would say that changing up where you wear your bun helps a lot. Move it lower or higher or to a side or something so the stress won't be in the exact same spot all the time.
I totally agree with Kaddy! Also, try a messy updo so you're not putting any stress on your hair.

UmSumayyah

Place bobby pins carefully. If your hair is long enough you can used polished hair sticks when putting your hair up.

greenidlady1

I make sure to spray the areas that might be stressed (I twist my hair gently and secure with a scrunchie) with an extra amount of moisture spray.
Take care,
G

Allandra

I haven't experienced breakage from wearing my hair in protective styles. I even place my hair in a bun when it's wet. I've been doing it for so long now.

NYRICAN

COULD I GET ANY BREAKAGE FROM DOING THE BAGGIE METHOD WHEN MY HAIR IS WET? i HAVE BEEN CON WASHING MY HAIR DAILY APPLYING SALERM 21 AND SHEA BUTTER TO MY ENDS AND THEN BAGGIE ON TOP. I HAVE SEEN ONE OR TWO STRANDS BUT THATS IT. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THIS WAS SAFE TO DO . AND BY THE WAY IN THE MORNING I SURGE PUT MORE SHEA BUTTER ON THE ENDS, THEN BAGGIE, AND WEAR A PHONY PONY. HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS EXPERIENCED ANY NEGATIVE EFFECTS?? THANKS IN ADVANCE

tryn2growmyhair

NYRICAN said:
COULD I GET ANY BREAKAGE FROM DOING THE BAGGIE METHOD WHEN MY HAIR IS WET? i HAVE BEEN CON WASHING MY HAIR DAILY APPLYING SALERM 21 AND SHEA BUTTER TO MY ENDS AND THEN BAGGIE ON TOP. I HAVE SEEN ONE OR TWO STRANDS BUT THATS IT. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THIS WAS SAFE TO DO . AND BY THE WAY IN THE MORNING I SURGE PUT MORE SHEA BUTTER ON THE ENDS, THEN BAGGIE, AND WEAR A PHONY PONY. HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS EXPERIENCED ANY NEGATIVE EFFECTS?? THANKS IN ADVANCE

Yes, this is a question that I have as well.

tryn2growmyhair

UmSumayyah said:
Place bobby pins carefully. If your hair is long enough you can used polished hair sticks when putting your hair up.

I have been looking for seamless hair sticks. Do you know where I can find them? Thanks.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
NYRICAN said:
I got breakage from doing the baggie method, but many ladies here are having success with it. I think it's because my hair is fine textured and my hair couldn't handle the stress of being half wet/moisturized (the hair in the baggie) and half dry (my edges and the hair exposed to air). Also, my hair isn't as long or thick as most ladies here. I would see breakage around the baggie and ponytail holder (it was not tight either). So if you wanna try the baggie method, check out the ladies that are having success with it and see what they do to properly do this method. For right now, the airdried, moisturized bun has been working for me.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Dana03 said:
Letting your hair dry completely before putting it in a bun :)
I agree. :) I let my hair airdry, apply moisturizer/oil, then put it in a bun. I just use my real hair; I don't use phony ponies or phony buns. I also agree with Kaddy about changing the position of your bun.

But if you have thick hair, putting it in a wet bun probably won't be a problem for you.;)

NYRICAN

When I Do The Baggie Method The Night Before (conwash, Surge And Put In Salerm, Then Put Shea Butter On Ends And Baggie) The Next Day My Ends Are Still Wet Is This Normal Or Should I Airdry First And Then Baggie???

SouthernGirl

Definitely change the position every now and then like Kaddy says, and here are also a few things I do and I've worn protective styles for over a decade as my main style option:

1) Never sleep in your bun! I got breakage this way
2) I choose not to use pins, but if you do, use as few as possible and use the "open" ones, not the ones you have to pry open to put on your hair
3) Use satin or silk scrunchies
4) Don't put anything on too tight. Even silk or satin will wreck your hairline if it's pulled too tight in back
5) Be careful when adding clip ons. The combs they have inside sometimes pull hair out. When I sported a fake pony, I used tracks about 10" long and I wrapped it around my ponytail and stuck a couple of pins in to secure, and wrapped a satin scrunchie arond it. This was the best for my hair, and it was very stylish like a long Sade ponytail. I think I'll do this one again!!

lveurslf

Last year I would wear a "protective" bun all the time until I noticed breakage. I would suggest wearing more than one protective style. Just changing the position may save the crown from stress but what about the front and sides that continued to be pulled into the ponytail? From now on I will only wear a bun for 2 weeks at the longest and then change it up to something completely different.

tryn2growmyhair

lveurslf said:
Last year I would wear a "protective" bun all the time until I noticed breakage. I would suggest wearing more than one protective style. Just changing the position may save the crown from stress but what about the front and sides that continued to be pulled into the ponytail? From now on I will only wear a bun for 2 weeks at the longest and then change it up to something completely different.

Thanks. Then what are the other protective styles that you will use? I would like to wear protective styles all the time, but I think I will need to change them up.

tryn2growmyhair

SouthernGirl said:
Definitely change the position every now and then like Kaddy says, and here are also a few things I do and I've worn protective styles for over a decade as my main style option:

1) Never sleep in your bun! I got breakage this way
2) I choose not to use pins, but if you do, use as few as possible and use the "open" ones, not the ones you have to pry open to put on your hair
3) Use satin or silk scrunchies
4) Don't put anything on too tight. Even silk or satin will wreck your hairline if it's pulled too tight in back
5) Be careful when adding clip ons. The combs they have inside sometimes pull hair out. When I sported a fake pony, I used tracks about 10" long and I wrapped it around my ponytail and stuck a couple of pins in to secure, and wrapped a satin scrunchie arond it. This was the best for my hair, and it was very stylish like a long Sade ponytail. I think I'll do this one again!!
Thanks for all the tips, SG. I like the ponies, but they often look so fake. What brand of hair did you use and did you trim the hair to shape it up? Thanks.

lveurslf

Well, according to the newcomer's guide a protective style can include: twists, braids, pincurl set. I'm sure there are plenty of flavorful styles to wear. We just have to search or create some.

Isis

tryn2growmyhair said:
A lot of those sticks have lines down the middle and knicks that will eat at my hair if I use them regularly. I'm looking for completely seamless ones, the same way there are seamless combs.
I have three pair from Claire's which have no seams that I can detect. One of the ladies here suggested dipping them in olive oil before inserting them in the hair.

These are some beautiful, handmade hair sticks and I assume they are seamless. You could always call and ask for them to be.

www.longlocks.com
http://www.longhairgirl.com