How come some people get away with washing so infrequently?

MissDarcei

With the recent post on the importance of frequent hair washing, it got me thinking. I have heard stories of people washing their hair very infrequently but still seeing results. Why is this?

I used to be one of these people actually. I would go 3 sometimes 4 months without washing my hair because I would only get it washed when I went to the salon to get my texturizer touch up/blowdry-style. I have always had long hair and when I chopped it off to SL, it grew back to MBL in a year and a half doing this method of infrequent washing. My hair was never oily or dirty or smelly, it never broke off and I had very few split ends. It wasnt until I found this hair board and the many youtube videos online that I learned about frequent hair washing. I was confused. I hardly ever washed my hair and it still grew just fine. Why did everyone say it was so important?

Today I STILL dont understand the importance of hair washing and why some people can get away with washing very rarely and others can't. Thoughts?

RoseTintedCheeks

Everyone's hair is different. My grandma didn't wash her hair for months at a time, and it was WL. My hair would be dry enough to start a fire if I did that.

lesedi

All is well with me
Maybe it's the low manipulation that works in their benefit?
My hair can deal with manipulation but can't deal with the dryness that comes along with infrequent washing (for me)
I also think certain hair types are fundamentally less dry so can deal with infrequent washing...JMO

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
If it works for you fine. However, I found out that one of my biggest problems WAS infrequent washing. My scalp reacts by breaking out and forming crusty sections. I never made the connection until I stopped with the oft repeated "don't wash your hair so frequently" mantra and stuck with once a week or more. When my scalp thrived, my hair flourished.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
my hair does better with infrequent washings but it smells so i have to wash 1-2x a week.:sad:

ms.blue

When I use to wear braids, I would only wash my hair when I removed them which was every three months. I would occassionally rinse my head. My hair didn't really smell but I hardly put anything on my scalp. I think that if the scalp (no oils) is left alone then there is no need for frequent washing.

SEMO

Maybe it's the low manipulation that works in their benefit?
My hair can deal with manipulation but can't deal with the dryness that comes along with infrequent washing (for me)
I also think certain hair types are fundamentally less dry so can deal with infrequent washing...JMO

I agree with this.

Personally, if I go more than a week without washing my hair it becomes unmanageable (dry and tangly, no matter what I put on it). And my hair thrives best if I wash it at least twice a week. But I've been lazy with my hair lately and haven't been doing this.

greenandchic

Not washing doesn't work for me.

Regular exercise = sweating
City living = dirt, exhaust (especially while biking in the city), public transit ickness, hanging out in public places,etc . :club:
Your skin is your largest organ - constant detox, etc. If you shower daily, wash your face twice a day, etc, why wouldn't you wash your hair at least once a week?
My hair needs constant moisture - the best way is water

ericajoy

^^Lol greenandchic, I love your illustration of city life. :lol:

I think this really does fall under the category of 'everyone is different.' I can't go more than a week without washing my hair b/c it gets dry, itchy, smelly...:blush: Other people don't seem to have a problem. Everyone's different.

*Though I will say* that I have at times stood or walked behind people out in the world, and gotten a distinct 'dirty hair' smell even though their hair looked nice. And I wondered, do they know their hair smells like that?? So in some cases more frequent washing might be better, but ppl don't know?

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
why don't you try dry shampoo?

i guess i could. any recommendations?

although i hate washing my hair, because it's so time consuming, there is something i love about the feel of water on my scalp.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I use the Victorias Secret dry shampoo on days after the gym when I dont feel like cowashing. Never leaves my hair dry, and keeps it smelling wonderful.

Lady S

For me, it's a scalp thing. I have oily scalp anyways & if too much time goes without washing, it ends up itchy and I end up tearing skin and then there are scabs. . .yeah. Not to mention the dandruff.

And I think there are instances where for some people the shampoos they've used so far are more damaging then just not doing anything at all. Hair is so weird. :lol:

lesedi

All is well with me
Oasis
I tried this when i went camping for a week and it worked well for me. I used the pink one and i liked the fragrance and my hair felt as fresh as it would do with my usual daily co-washing regimen.
Batiste dry shampoo

southerncitygirl

i have a friend that doesn't wash often but she uses essential oils on her scalp to kill bacteria and such and keep her scalp clean. she does braids as her low manipulation style and as a result she gets tons of growth. she doesn't have a problem with it smelling and doesn't sweat in her head alot. she does have issues with dryness but she moisturises and seals several times a week.:yep:

Missjae09

I think it's just one of those things... Some people can grow hair without protective styling or using heat frequently and some can't. Generally, healthy hair thrives with a healthy/clean scalp but there are always exceptions to the rules.

HauteHippie

my hair does better with infrequent washings but it smells so i have to wash 1-2x a week.:sad:

Same here. I sweat and I work out. Trust that it would not be pretty if I didn't wash at least once or twice a week.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I think you just get accustomed to things; when my hair was dry pre LHCF I didn't know it was abnormal and before starting to co wash regularly I thought the feel of my new growth was normal. Regardless of what you do your hair will grow (to some extent). If you aren't washing often you are also probably doing low manipulation styles which would help you retain.

lesedi

All is well with me
^^^^
There are quite a few women on this board who wash less than 5 times a year with stunning hair. I suppose it works for them....
OT: I remember reading a thread like a yr ago where a poster (can't remember her name) said how she never DC's or co-washes. She just shampooed and put grease in her hair like once a month. Her hair was past WSL and really healthy looking! I suppose different things work for different people

SuchaLady

My Mama never washed my hair when I was little and it was long and thick. I swear sometimes I feel like throwing all my fancy conditioners and hair stuff out the window and breaking out the Dax like back in the day.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

greenandchic

My Mama never washed my hair when I was little and it was long and thick. I swear sometimes I feel like throwing all my fancy conditioners and hair stuff out the window and breaking out the Dax like back in the day.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

Ever? :perplexed

Jewell

Diff'rent stroke for Diff'rent folks is all I can say! I can go about max 1 month with loose hair no washing. Can go 2 months with braids or twists w. extensions in...but even so my scalp begins to itch terribly and I HAVE to at least do a CW while in the install. I have gone up to 3 mos as a child with braids but that was with VERY little product usage and applying nothing to my scalp.

I use a lot of oils on my scalp, and moisturizers and so I have to get it out at least 2 times a month in summer. Winter, I drop down to monthly washing if braided beneath wigs. My hair likes to be left alone, but my scalp gets itchy if I go past 2 weeks. I like to plop my hair in a bun or twist and leave it there for a week or 2, lol and just re-gel the edges as needed or spritz with water...and I do know family members (deceased) who only washed a few times a year (less than 5 times), who had WL hair.

On the other hand, I know my grandma who is late 60's has WL+ natural hair and washes about once per week, but that is due to psoriasis. She says she'd love to go 1 month but needs 2 keep her scalp in check. As for my 3 yo DD, I only wash and DC her ONCE PER MONTH before rebraiding. I cant stand any more frequent than that w.o. some type of help to hold her down and calm her down (she doesn't like the loud sound of the rushing water).

LOL I'm too old :rolleyes: and frail with anemia for the acrobatics included (trying to lay her body down supine on the counter, head over the sink, holding her down with the weight of my upper body, while she flails about while I also try to extend my arms without letting her sit up to shampoo and massage her scalp)...:nono: Lawd once a month is all...

Her hair is thick and growing long, (it would be about BSL if I pressed it)...and her hair does not have a bad smell, scalp is healthy. I do all for her hair that I do to mine except I keep hers braided for get-up-and-go, and I don't wash hers as frequently cuz its an all-day thing between washing and braiding.

Last edited:

lesedi

All is well with me
SuchaLady
I think we need to remember that during childhood every part of us (including hair) was on a rampant growth phase so so-called 'damaging' hair practices wouldn't have had such negative effects then because they were counteracted by our bodies heightened 'growth focus' at those ages.

Jewell

i have a friend that doesn't wash often but she uses essential oils on her scalp to kill bacteria and such and keep her scalp clean. she does braids as her low manipulation style and as a result she gets tons of growth. she doesn't have a problem with it smelling and doesn't sweat in her head alot. she does have issues with dryness but she moisturises and seals several times a week.:yep:

Hmmm, great point! I use a ton of Tea tree oil and also rosemary, sage, eucalyptus, peppermint oils along with countless other herbal ingredients as an oil for my scalp. This is likely why I can go weeks btw washings before I start itching. I have no real build up on my scalp using the light EOs and natural ceramide oils.

As opposed to when I was relaxed I used grease on my scalp and I could feel a buildup on there as I was massaging it off during shampoo :nono:. The EO's and also some ppl use astringents like Sea Breeze and Witch Hazel to cleanse their scalp, this is a popular thing among loc wearers (and braid/twist wearers) who choose not to shampoo often, or who prefer the use of dry or powdered shampoo. Personally, I dont see the point of dry shampoo so I've never used it. I like the good ol' mild suds of traditional (sulfate free) and natural shampoos. :lick: (AO and CON is da bomb in the shampoo dept).

cabellera

Your scalp releases toxins from your body, just like your skin over all does. Also, your hair will take In everything in your environment as well. You can mask itch and order with oils, but nothing is like running water and a good cleanser to wash bacteria and grime away. Removal and renewal. Cleansing doesn't necessarily have to be harsh and drying, a cleansing tea rinse or condition washes frequently and a more thorough cleansing once or twice a month can do the trick.

Also frequent washes (rinses) help when you work out.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

PinkGirlFluff

It's one of those hair mysteries we might never understand. I don't understand how I made it through pink oil and blue magic hair grease but it worked during those times, at least for me. lol.

LaidBak

I know it works for some people, and I do not mean to offend anyone...But the idea of not washing ANY part of my body for 3 or 4 months is just disgusting.
Its about hygiene, not about what maximizes growth. Washing hair doesn't affect growth rates, it affects retention. If you told me that the only way for me to get to BSL was to stop washing my hair I guess I'd be SL for the rest of my natural life.