Spinoff.. should we brag about how long we can go without washing our hair?

Is it okay for a person to brag about how long they can go without washing their hair

• Yes, nothing is embarassing about it

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • No, some things should be kept to yourself

Votes: 74 62.7%
  • Doesn't matter one way or the other

Votes: 40 33.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wash my hair everyday or every 2 days and I'm natural. I'm a type 4 as well and people have looked down on me for it. I think you have to do what is best for you! Different strokes for different folks.

Looked down on you? For having a clean scalp and hair? Goodness.

PennyK, I don't think it's that we don't produce as much sebum as white folks that makes our hair dry or not get greasy. It's that our hair which happens to be curly or kinky instead of straight prevents sebum from spreading to the ends of the strands. What's more, with hair that stands up rather than hangs, this makes sebum distribution to ends of strands even more difficult.

Very true. However, sweat glands are still excreting moisture. The scalp stays warm, moist and rather insulated, creating a virtual petri dish for all manner of fungus and bacteria to breed. That's what contributes to the itchies, dandruff, and musty odor. Most people are used to the smell and don't smell it, and assume others can't, either. But others can and do smell it and it isn't nice.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. In my line of work, I'm often the only Black person that works at a place at any given time. And in the office we leave the TV on CNN. So sometimes when a black person is being interviewed, and they're being "extra" with it, or speaking ebonics - I find myself secretly cringing. Then I immediately feel guilty for being ashamed of my race.

I constantly have to remind myself that just like I don't speak for all black people, all black people do not speak for ME. We are all individuals, and must stand (or fall) on our own merits - just like any other race.

So in short, don't accept responsibility or culpability for someone else's actions. They don't represent you. Only YOU can do that.:yep:

You know I really hate to bust your bubble but it is not just blacks that talk like that and it don't come from being in a black neighborhood either. It just depends on how educated they are. I have been around some white folks who are worst than what you think you see.

Very true. However, sweat glands are still excreting moisture. The scalp stays warm, moist and rather insulated, creating a virtual petri dish for all manner of fungus and bacteria to breed. That's what contributes to the itchies, dandruff, and musty odor. Most people are used to the smell and don't smell it, and assume others can't, either. But others can and do smell it and it isn't nice.

@MissMasala5, I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't wash hair when I explained why our hair feels dry (I actually would wash my hair more if it felt dry!). Nor was I suggesting that our scalps don't get dirty. I was just addressing the issue of sebum production, that I didn't think it was different between the races. (For the record, I shampoo my hair twice a week every week, and that's without using any leave-in products or oils of any sort in between washes which lessens the likelihood for my hair to attract dirt. Yet I still feel the need to shampoo twice a week coz I love having a squeaky clean scalp and clean hair).

Last edited:
@PennyK, I don't think it's that we don't produce as much sebum as white folks that makes our hair dry or not get greasy. It's that our hair which happens to be curly or kinky instead of straight prevents sebum from spreading to the ends of the strands. What's more, with hair that stands up rather than hangs, this makes sebum distribution to ends of strands even more difficult.

so does that mean we "should" be washin our hair more, 'cause if the oil isn't goin down our hair, it's stayin close to the scalp?

so does that mean we "should" be washin our hair more, 'cause if the oil isn't goin down our hair, it's stayin close to the scalp?

@me-T I don't think we can deduce that either should be washing more or less based on that statement. Greasy, smelly hair is just as gross as a gunky, funky scalp, so in the name of good hygience, both should be washed/cleaned regularly. Of course there's no schedule that will work for all. Some folks sweat more than others and so may need it sooner than others; others are just OCD or creatures of habit and do it just because it feels "normal" to them.

I agree with @EllePixie, what is embarrassing for one may not be for the next person and if it's embarrassing at all, it should not be selective embarrassment. LOL Also the question "Should we brag about...?" is really as personal thing. There are people who will brag about being able to make the loudest fart. So what has that got to do with me? Should they brag? Well, if they are proud of it, why not? I say "Knock yourself out!" to them. Would I? No, most definitely not, but why should what I do or what they do have anything to do with the other. They aren't representing me, nor me them. So live and let live, I say.

Last edited:
I used to go up to 4 weeks without washing my hair and I never bragged about it because it wasn't something I deliberately chose. I hated going 4 weeks without washing my hair but I was in college and busy, busy, busy. I'm in grad school now but I'm back home, I'm more comfortable doing my hair myself so that doesn't happen anymore. But I don't see it as something to brag about by any means.:nono:

I have a newborn at home..Well he's 6 months now and believe me u hardly have time to even go to the bathroom sometimes! So I personlly go 3 weeks without washing my hair and I love it! And it's also low manipulation and it's less stress for me as I don't like wsh and go's for work. And don't like long hours at the salon.

Am I dirty or guilty for this? My hair don't stink so I don't see what's the big deal!

in all fairness, black people are more likely to go that long without washing

i know we're special here and we're all high class and upper echelon...but i'm talking the average black person on the street

Thank you.

I don't think women who state they haven't washed their hair in a month are bragging though. I always thought it sounded more like they couldn't quite take a compliment and was trying to downplay the maintenance of their style, or just stating that it doesn't look as fresh as it did. They aren't bragging or being ashamed. What's wrong with that?

Lots of black women wash their hair once a month and this doesn't make them dirty. Just because whites may wash theirs every day doesn't mean that should be the standard. Not everyone's hair will be stinky or dirty in the same period of time. We need to stop measuring what we do against others so much.

Most black women I know at work only get a shampoo from their stylist because alot of women don't know how to do their own hair. So I think your coworker is proud that she can save her money and keep her hair looking "fresh."

Most black women I know at work only get a shampoo from their stylist because alot of women don't know how to do their own hair. So I think your coworker is proud that she can save her money and keep her hair looking "fresh."

I agree with this. When I was relaxed and went to the salon, I wanted my style to last as long as possible. As long as I was not putting a lot of extra product in the hair while it was styled (that can cause buildup), and it looked good, I didn't see anything wrong with going 2 weeks or more between washing.

The exception to me is weaves. I just could never figure out how to maintain them properly. I tried to wash the weaves and it got tangled and matted, and started smelling weird and itching my scalp. I couldn't keep weaves in my head longer than 2 weeks without problems. That is why I just can't do weaves anymore.

The scalp is an extension of your bodily skin. I can't go over one week without washing. When you encounter the elements of this world, how can one justify not washing the hair/scalp often?

When i was a kid (and natural), my hair was washed once a week. My great grandmother would wash it (saturday or sunday don't remember which) and have it styled for school. i grew up in jamaica tho and this was pretty standard for kids. when i was older i stuck to the schedule out of habit. when i shaved my head and had a twa i washed even more often because why not? you're in the shower and might as well. there's no maintenance to a twa or a buzz cut so it's just an all over shower.

but that's just me.

however; i really don't understand how so many people find it an unfounded insult on our entire race to speak the truth; it's COMMON KNOWLEDGE (at least for most blacks) that we, on average, as a group, don't wash our hair as often as other races. Women who are not on a HHJ and have permed hair typically don't wash their hair more than once a month to maintain their perm. women not on an HHJ who have braids or weaves typically don't wash their hair more than once a month or more to avoid getting fuzzies etc and basically to maintain the style. common knowledge, why are people up in arms about it?

even Kimmay mentioned in her video that before she discovered how to take proper care of her hair she did not wash or let water touch her hair often. no big deal. we're not dirty people. we've just been mislead or even lied to when it comes to our hair. eventually more and more women will learn to ignore conventional wisdom and listen to their hair.

back to the OP tho; no of course we shouldn't brag about any of our personal habits amongst ourselves or in 'mixed' company. this isn't junior school. we're grown women, the hell?

I was going to start a new thread and ask a question, but will see if I can get a response here. I was talking to a couple of people at my church about how often I wash/cowash my hair. They wash theirs once a month....they asked if I am washing away the natural oils from my hair. what do you all think? I always moisturize...water, castor oil, evoo...everyday. What are your thoughts on natural oils produced from the body? Is that the benefit from not washing so often?

I was going to start a new thread and ask a question, but will see if I can get a response here. I was talking to a couple of people at my church about how often I wash/cowash my hair. They wash theirs once a month....they asked if I am washing away the natural oils from my hair. what do you all think? I always moisturize...water, castor oil, evoo...everyday. What are your thoughts on natural oils produced from the body? Is that the benefit from not washing so often?

Baggettcindy, our body is like a thermostat. If you wash your scalp and don't apply anything to it, your scalp produces sebum to replenish the oils you washed off.

I haven't applied anything to my scalp for years and shampoo my head twice a week, focusing more on my scalp than anything, and my scalp is never dry.

Similarly, I was never one of those with oily skin, but ever since I stopped smothering my face with products, I can go bare skin and not have the dry combination skin I used to have that used to feel tight until I applied something. Why? My skin's thermostat was not producing oil when I was busy being "an expert" with layers of stuff coz I seemed to have a handle on thangs, and so sebum production took a back seat. But when I stopped being a busybody and cut back on my crazy regimen, my skin went from dry-combo to normal/oily.

So no, I think you'd be washing out oils if you were shampooing hair daily and were not one with over-active glands. When you don't wash your hair, not only do you encourage fungus growth, also dirt and sebum clog pores so IMO you're not really getting anymore oil produced. Itching scalps are a sign something isn't right, so folks who go too long w/o washing IMO are not doing their scalp a favor.

Itching scalps are a sign something isn't right, so folks who go too long w/o washing IMO are not doing their scalp a favor.

and this is where learning your hair comes into it IMO. many of us don't really know what to do when our hair/scalp is speaking to us. we're generally taught to ignore our itching scalp. that itching is a sign you need more "blue magic/hair grease" or braid spray. there are so many products out there for itchy scalp. when really an itchy scalp is your body telling you to forego the product and pick up some shampoo (or whatever one uses to wash their hair).

I agree, when my hair starts to itch really bad, i go ahead and wash it and my scalp is fine again for a couple of days. It usually starts itching after 5 days unless I have worked out then it is sooner.

and this is where learning your hair comes into it IMO. many of us don't really know what to do when our hair/scalp is speaking to us. we're generally taught to ignore our itching scalp. that itching is a sign you need more "blue magic/hair grease" or braid spray. there are so many products out there for itchy scalp. when really an itchy scalp is your body telling you to forego the product and pick up some shampoo (or whatever one uses to wash their hair).

Every 2-3 weeks for me. Ain't ashamed of it either.
I don't see anything wrong with it. I've been doing it for many years and my hair is not dirty nor does it stink. At 2-2 1/2 weeks you'd never know it had been that long. I've even taken pics before and it looked almost the same as when I first washed it, just a little oilier.

I wonder about this often, enough. Something about being able to wear a style "forever" and the black woman seem to coincide. Did it began with that hard as hell french roll? Remember? The roll that you were supposed to get for a special event and then women began wearing as a lifestyle? The longer you could keep that in the better? Then the zillions? All of these hairstyles that took so much time and money that made you never want to wash your hair? Telling me how long you've gone without washing your hair is too much information! I do not want to know that.

I wonder about this often, enough. Something about being able to wear a style "forever" and the black woman seem to coincide. Did it began with that hard as hell french roll? Remember? The roll that you were supposed to get for a special event and then women began wearing as a lifestyle? The longer you could keep that in the better? Then the zillions? All of these hairstyles that took so much time and money that made you never want to wash your hair? Telling me how long you've gone without washing your hair is too much information! I do not want to know that.

I remember that style. And freeze curls. Goodness.

Even before hairboards, I washed my hair every 1-2wks. Now, I can barely go one week. I wash 2x/wk.

Every 2-3 weeks for me. Ain't ashamed of it either.

For years I had a standing bi-weekly hair appointment and I didn't wash in between. *Shrugs* I remember once I missed my appointment and when I went back to the salon the stylist asked me did my Mom wash and set my hair (I just had a wrap). When I told her no she was like your hair hasn't been washed all this time? It doesn't look dirty. I thought you had washed it and redid it at home. It had been 4 weeks at that point. I just made sure I wrapped it up at night and didn't put any product on it. It looked fine. It wasn't itchy. It wasn't smelly. It wasn't stiff.

As long as it isn't dirty or smelly I don't see the problem. That's part of the reason why I stopped using grease and oil back in the day. It made my hair dirty and smelly fast. The stickiness allows dirt and dust to cling to the hair. :nono: I typically wash my hair once a week now. If I'm being lazy I may let it go to two weeks. But again I don't put product on my hair on an everyday basis.

Well, our hair is different from that of Europeans and Asians. For most of my Euro and Asian friends, if they go ONE DAY without washing their hair, it gets limp and greasy - seaweed looking. I truly believe that if I went a YEAR without washing my hair (as long as I don't add any grease or oils to it) it would get DRY rather than greasy. That's how different our hair is. Nothing to be ashamed of. That's like being ashamed of only handwashing your delicates or taking them to the dry cleaner instead of washing them like your white cottons on the hottest longest cycle with bleach.

Right now I rinse my hair several times a week, in order to keep it moist. But I know it's perfectly doable for me to got a couple of weeks w/o washing, like when I was a child. Heck, with those harsh shampoos we used to use, it would take one week of oiling, combing, and plaiting; oiling combng and plaiting, before the hair got back stretched out and elastic instead of shrunken, dry and brittle like after the wash. Had to enjoy that for a week before washing again.

Well, our hair is different from that of Europeans and Asians. For most of my Euro and Asian friends, if they go ONE DAY without washing their hair, it gets limp and greasy - seaweed looking. I truly believe that if I went a YEAR without washing my hair (as long as I don't add any grease or oils to it) it would get DRY rather than greasy. That's how different our hair is. Nothing to be ashamed of. That's like being ashamed of only handwashing your delicates or taking them to the dry cleaner instead of washing them like your white cottons on the hottest longest cycle with bleach.

Right now I rinse my hair several times a week, in order to keep it moist. But I know it's perfectly doable for me to got a couple of weeks w/o washing, like when I was a child. Heck, with those harsh shampoos we used to use, it would take one week of oiling, combing, and plaiting; oiling combng and plaiting, before the hair got back stretched out and elastic instead of shrunken, dry and brittle like after the wash. Had to enjoy that for a week before washing again.

I agree. My nieces get their hair washed and braided once every 2 to 3 weeks and their hair does not stink. Their hair ranges from 3c to 4b. If a person is using a lot of products on their hair without washing then I could see how it would stink and get nasty. But, without the product I think most hair would be okay. I have never had a problem with having oily hair/scalp unless I poured some oil on it.

Back