How come some people get away with washing so infrequently?

HanaKuroi

Jewell

I used shower visors on my kids in the tub.

No screaming chilluns. No breaking your back. You can use it in the shower or tub. No soap in eyes.

I hope the pic isn't too big. I don't know how to resize.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Lucia

I've been on my hhj for about 5 months. I am transitioning and at this point I don't know what to do with it. It's extremely.....fluffy and thick? I don't know if I should wash more or less often. I really hate to deal with my hair at all. I almost grabbed a perm just so it would be more manageable but I don't want all this work to have been for nothing. To answer the question, I fight to wash my hair once a week on average...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Have you tried co washing more often then shampoo every 2 weeks maybe if you might try braids twists braid buns twist buns just putting the braids up low manilulation and easy to style easy to moisturize when done cw or shampooing use a moiturizing conditioner as a leave in
wash in 4 sections in the shower use a really wide tooth comb don't flip your head over the sink that tangles up hair like crazy. Try
Have you tried curlygirl method? It might help cause right now you have to cater to your natural hair and transitioning fresh off the creamy crack hair is very very dry like don't stand in the sun too long or it will spontaneously combust dry So it needs tons and tons of moisture. Also ditch sulfate shampoos if you still must use them. HTH

spacetygrss

Everyone's head is different. That said, I need to shampoo weekly at a minimum. In reality, I shampoo twice a week, with a couple of cowashes/rinses thrown in. My scalp will go crazy if I go past a week without shampooing.

candy626

Actually, as humans we don't need to shower daily. Our constant bathing rituals remove layers of skin that we need to protect against a lot of germs and bacterias, and we would be healthier if we bathed every other day for example. Now I'm not advocating skipping showers and/or stinking, but people go so hard for societal norms and just accepting what they know to be the holy grail truth without ever being exposed to contradicting evidence :rolleyes: which is why people need to do whatever suits them instead of weighing every decision in the court of public opinion.

Do we have to shower daily? no. Is there such thing as good bacteria? Yes. Does taking a shower daily kill of good bacteria? Sure, but the amount is probably negligible in comparison to bad bacteria. Particularly if you work out or lead an active lifestyle, but even if you dont, removing dirt and impurities from your body on a daily basis is perfectly fine. Scientific findings and explanations are not always right and can sometimes change over time. I have a feeling this is one of those things, that will eventually be disproved 10 years from now.

At the end of the day, certain hygeine rules should be followed. Point blank. Whether it's in regard to your body, your hair, teeth.

Cmon people.

lushcoils

Actually, as humans we don't need to shower daily. Our constant bathing rituals remove layers of skin that we need to protect against a lot of germs and bacterias, and we would be healthier if we bathed every other day for example. Now I'm not advocating skipping showers and/or stinking, but people go so hard for societal norms and just accepting what they know to be the holy grail truth without ever being exposed to contradicting evidence :rolleyes: which is why people need to do whatever suits them instead of weighing every decision in the court of public opinion.

Showering/washing hair every day or other day is a lot different from only showering/washing hair once every 2-4 months.

nicole625

I am living proof of your statement. I have four different skin diseases and the main thing that improved my skin overall was cutting back on the amount of showers when the dermatologist requested me to. I went from everything irritating my skin (including water) to now being able to wear lotion on my skin

getting back to the topic, i think everyone should do what they see fit for their hair. My hair grows at a pretty good rate no matter how frequent or infrequent i wash it. I just have to work on retaining length

candy626

And yes I get everyone's hair is different but hygeine is hygeine. Im sure someone can go months without washing their hands without them smelling that doesn't mean they are not dirty.

AlwaysNatural

I have an "aunt" not biological who asks me to "scrape/scratch and grease mi scalp." I almost keeled over and died... Washes her hair... Every relaxer, which are 4 months apart. It's not till you get close. Smelled like vomit.

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

cami88

Some of you would choke on your diet coke if you knew how long I go with out washing my hair. My infrequent washings haven't hindered my hair growth yet.

Ann0804

I wish I could go for long periods without washing my hair, but my scalp gets super itchy, my skin breaks out, and my hair is just limp and dirty if I don't wash it once per week. If it works for you to go months, then you should stick with it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
If infrequent washing works for you than you should stick with it. There's no rule that you have to wash frequent to have long hair. If I did that I'd have a whole lot less hair on my head but that's just my hair. I don't go months though, the most I go is 2 weeks.

yorkpatties

Do we have to shower daily? no. Is there such thing as good bacteria? Yes. Does taking a shower daily kill of good bacteria? Sure, but the amount is probably negligible in comparison to bad bacteria. Particularly if you work out or lead an active lifestyle, but even if you dont, removing dirt and impurities from your body on a daily basis is perfectly fine. Scientific findings and explanations are not always right and can sometimes change over time. I have a feeling this is one of those things, that will eventually be disproved 10 years from now.

At the end of the day, certain hygeine rules should be followed. Point blank. Whether it's in regard to your body, your hair, teeth.

Cmon people.

I ride the subway in NYC and if I didn't shower frequently who knows what type of dirt and debris my skin would be eating up. Maybe showering every other day is fine for those women who run through the lilies all day in the Summer's Eve commercials, but I am a city girl. There is dirt and smog everywhere.

I agree that we might not HAVE to shower daily, it still makes me comfortable to do so 2x a day. Even if I don't lather up and scrub down hardcore in the morning, I still need to feel the water smacking me in my face to wake up and it makes me feel confident to know I've at least cleaned those "key spots" before I leave the house. LOL

When I was transitioning, I washed once a week and maybe cowashed once a week. It was a hassle to detangle my porous relaxed ends. I noticed that my new growth wasn't a problem, but my relaxed hair cause major issues. I'm new to this BC, but I've been cowashing every day and I love it.