How do I flat iron and which one should I choose???

lalabanks

Ok...here's the deal. I've been transitioning since Oct of 04 and I have about 3a, 3b hair. I've been usually washing it and wearing it wavy since it gets wavy when wet and let it air dry, but I want to wear the straight look a few times and i'm not sure where to start. I have bra strap length hair and its kinda thick, if anyone seen my pics from my fotki you can get an idea. When I wash my hair and let it air dry it drys wavy, so do I need to blow it out first then use a flat iron. I think that would be damaging. Or should I let it air dry and comb the waves out then use a flat iron.

Secondly, which one should I use for my hair. I've seen good reviews on Chi and Sedu and should I get 1" or 2"? I've also read that I need a good heat protectant.

What do you all use...any ideas..suggestions..

Sorry its kinda long and a lot of questions.

These are great questions that I would also like to know. (Storing all this in my mind for a...future date) :scratchch

I let my hair air dry, and then flat iron. For a heat protectant I use Fantasia heat serum. I have an old gold n hot flat iron, and I think it is a hot tools flat iron/bumper. I was considering getting a ceramic iron, however, I too am very :confused: about which one to try. I went to follica.com, and when I am ready to purchase one I will more than likely go with the Sedu or Solia because many people seemed to complain about the Chi stops working. As far as size, with the length I would suggest a 2", however, if you want to be able to get your roots a 1" would get at the roots better.

I prefer a 1" iron because you can do a lot with it... Bump ends, flip ends, spiral curls, roots, etc. But, if your hair is longer, 2" could possibly be faster... I don't know. I have always used 1". My next will be a 1 1/4". Maybe that's a compromise? :)

ETA: For a heat protectant, I usually flat iron with a bit of oil (Hot 6 or coconut) and a bit of serum (Biosilk or NTM). I recently picked up this Fantasia IC Heat Protectant serum in the red bottle. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone used this?

Last edited:
Hey Lalabanks. For hair as long as yours, using a 2" iron would speed up the straightening process. You should be able to get very close to your new growth by applying the iron at a 90 degree angle close to your scalp before gliding it down the lengths. Following the flat iron with a fine toothed comb should give you smoother, silkier results quicker, but be careful, it takes practice. I agree that airdrying your hair is sufficient and preferred, to cut down on unnecessary heat from the blow dryer. Chi irons are very good, but most ceramic flat irons will do a good job. Just make sure that the plates line up tightly and evenly. I get great results with the Jilbere Titanium iron. I agree with Baglady that the 1" size can do it all. Redken Heat Glide is a good protectant, as well as Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme. HTH!

Back