How do I know if I NEED heavy protein?

Ariana4000

I'm confused, do I need heavy protein? Everytime I use Aphogee or DRC-28 my hair feels hard even though I use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. My hair ends up breaking off more from using them. In fact this is the only time it breaks. My airdrying usually feels soft, but today its all rought and brittle. Can someone tell me once and for all, do I need these heavy proteins or can I use something a little milder like Motions CPR.

mahogany66

I decided to use a HEAVY protein treatment (aphogee) because my hair felt like cotton whenever it was wet, the treatment made a big improvement in my hair. I also noticed that I needed a GOOD moisturizer because my hair was still hard after I used the aphogee moisturizer:(, so I followed up with my Humecto and that made my hair VERY SOFT and XTRA MOISTURIZED. :)..

How often are you using the protein treatments?

mahogany66

What condition was your hair in before you used it? I would suggest only using the HEAVY protein treatments if you hair is severley damaged. Try a lite one and see what happens.

*BUMPING FOR MORE REPLIES*

Last edited:

Ariana4000

That's what I was thinking too. I just THOUGHT I should be using something heavy. My hair wasn't damaged or anything. But I usually don't use protein at all, and I wanted to do something with protein.

Arcadian

I use a softer protien like keraphix once a week. I've never seen the need to use the harder protiens all that often, and only when I see severe breakage do I use them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those harder protiens were for when you had severe damage and/or right before you get a chemical service.

-A

Mestiza

Try going w/o the use of the heavy protein, for awhile and see how your hair responds. I don't use Aphogee or DRC-28. I've used Joico Reconstructor (Generic) and that has been enough protein for my hair, even before I started using henna. So, a lighter protein conditioner may be enough for you.

DahomeyAhosi

If your hair truly only breaks after you use a heavy protein I'd say you don't need one. If you feel the need for protein in order to strengthen and your hair is already in good condition I agree you should go with a milder protein like nexxus keraphix or even Aubrey Organics GPB.

Mizani_Mrs

Your hair will break if you overuse protein. So i'd say that these treatments are more protein than your hair can handle. You should just do mild protein treatments every once in a while. Try once a month and see how your hair does, then you can adjust it. You only need a heavy protein if your hair is damaged and/or you are experiencing alot of breakage. I also do one a few days b4 a touchup. but that may not be for you either. And be sure to select a very moisturizing conditioner to follow your trtmnt. Hummectress or Kenra always works good for me.