Naturals/Transitioners - How often do you use heavy protein?

Transitioning/Natural Ladies - How often do you use protein treatments in your hair?

• Never

Votes: 61 34.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 22 12.3%
  • Every 2 Weeks

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 35 19.6%
  • Every 2 Months or More

Votes: 37 20.7%

• Total voters

mstar

Luxury bacon
I voted monthly because I'm adding Aphogee for damaged hair to my routine. My hair is fine/thin. I've found a heavy protein treat makes my hair much stronger and less fragile vs just using something like GPB.:)
Me too. My hair just loves protein! Plus, I'm trying to strengthen and thicken my baby-fine hair, and protein helps with that. I straighten every few months, and I'm trying to get to the point where my flat-ironed hair looks thick and healthy.

My daily moisture spray contains light protein, and I use a strengthening spray (CHI Keratin Mist, or Mane n Tail) every other day. I do a protein DC once a week, and I henna once a month. I don't have any problems with shedding or breakage, and my hair's texture is continually improving.

But I've never used Emergencee or anything like that...I think Aphogee 2-minute is the strongest thing I use. I'm ditching Aphogee though, and I'm going to start using Joico K-Pak instead.

Pandora1975

Thanks for posting this, I thought I was alone. I never use an actual heavy protein- I don't think I need it. I eat meat and peanut butter, and I drink soymilk. I get enough protein. I also use henna now. I tried an egg treatment once a few months ago out of curiosity. I may have left it on too long, but the dryness and breakage was scary bad. I almost gave up my transition. Things are much better now.

lsw29

I don't use hardcore proteins in my hair. I do use light proteins from conditioners on my hair.

fyb87

I do not use protein. Recently I unknowingly purchased some Giovanni products (they all have protein) and found out I am Protein Sensitive. I can NOT use Protein at all. Makes my hair dry and scalp itch like crazy.

RubyWoo

I use a light protein every 3-4 weeks. I usually use Redken Extreme Rescue force Fortifying treatment. I only leave it on for 5 min.

Chromia

I haven't used a heavy protein since I started transitioning. Before I started transitioning I used Nexxus Emergencee.

newgrowth15

I've been natural for more than 10 years and never used a protein treatment. I tried an Aphoghee Hard Protein Treatment several months ago. It made my hair really hard and dry and took several days to soften again. :wallbash: I will not intentionally use hard protein again. :nono: Whatever proteins are in the Jane Carter products, the Suave Humectant conditioner and any other product I use is all the protein my hair needs.:grin:

isabella09

I’m currently transitioning and never use a heavy protein. I use Joico K-pak Liquid Reconstructor once every two weeks or when my hair need’s it. I consider this to be a light – medium protein treatment

EccentricRed

I use ORS Hair Mayonaisse :)yep: I know I spelled it wrong.) every so once in awhile. When I was first transitioning, I used protein weekly because my hair was damaged from relaxers and my anemia (which made my hair a while lot weaker in addition to the damage I already had.)

Now that it has almost been a year since I've had a relaxer I use it less and less, because my hair is just healthier.

MelodicVessel

I am "natural" and I use protein to help baby these ends that have been damaged by highlights and high heat (went to a stylist in Apr 2008 that used a stove and it burned my hair straight). I don't think the hair close to my scalp needs anything but light protein...

Every other wash or so, I'll do AO GBP on my ends as a pre-poo. I've done the Aphogee 2-min and I may do that again if my newfound henna fascination doesn't eliminate the need for medium to hard protein on my ends.

(This is my very first post! Hi everybody! :hiya:)

vivEz daNs lamouR

Its funny, because when I was relaxed my hair LURVED it some Aphogee 2-Step Protein.

I did it for the first time as a natural about 4 weeks ago and my hair hated it. Needless to say, its now out of my life. I bought the 2 minute reconstructor instead so hopefully that will be all the protein I need.

classychic1908

Sorry, I misvoted. I said every 2 months or more, but I never use heavy protein. I do use light protein moisture balanced conditioner sometimes.

SweetSpirit86

Never. My hair doesn't even like small amounts of it in my products..if I did a heavy treatment I'd have helmet hair, and I'm not talking shape.

Neith

Never.

I've been natural for 6 months and have not done a heavy protein in that time.

My hair revolted from protein in all forms after I did my BC. Even light protein conditioners make my hair rock hard.

Lately I've been adding some bragg liquid aminos to plenty of water and rinsing my hair with it after shampooing... once a month. My hair seems to like it :)

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I'm incorporating Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor into my routine and I will be doing that weekly until all of my breakage is curbed. When that happens, I'll just do a protein treatment as needed. So far my hair is loving it.

asubeauty

I'm transitioning, and I haven't used a heavy protien in about a year and a half. I was using a conditioner with protien and was experiencing some breakage early in my transition, but I stopped using it and noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of breakage I had. Now I just use moisturizing products.

adnolej

I just voted every 2 months or more, but I misunderstood. I've never used the heavy proteins listed (ie aphogee, joico, emergence, etc). My idea of a heavy protein is an egg and mayo treatment which I do whenever I think about. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

melissa-bee

I'm transitioning and the last time i used Nexxus emergencee my hair felt awful, so i'll never be doing it again.

lilsparkle825

Whenever I straighten, especially if I am going to rollerset. I don't straighten that much...in fact, I don't plan on straightening at all this year until June, so my little bottle of Emergencee is chillin' on the shelf in my hair closet. My hair likes light protein with its moisture though, so I use Ion Effective Care Treatment (which has both hydrolyzed vegetable protein AND panthenol) or squirt either Megatek or Aphogee 2 Minute into my Matrix or GVP Conditioning Balm.

naturalgyrl5199

If I need protein I just mix a little Joico Kpax with my moisturizing product...So Joico Shampoo gets mixed with the CON or the Joico COndish gets mixed with whatever conditioner I choose to use....The Joico KPax is a mild protein which my hair responds to...so that's enough for me....I haven't had to do the treatments like Aphogee since I have been natural (21 months)...but oh boy when I was relaxed....Like 2-3 times a year....I am not sure if was simply because I was relaxed or if it was because I wasn't taking care of my hair...I speculate it was a little of both....

Yoshi3329

I don't use heavy protein, just light proteins like silk or wheat proteins. I can't even use medium they make my hair hard as a rock.

BEAUTYU2U

I only used a protein treatment twice in my natural-dom because I was afraid of moisture overload - which turns out to be not that hard for my fine strands - but it's not scheduled at all. It's a last resort kind of thing. My hair hates protein otherwise.