how do u comb natural hair???

SSBD

Okay, i need to pick ou my hair and it hurts...how do i comb it, and do i have to pick it out after every wash???

Depend on your hair it may not be necessary to comb/brush your hair everytime you wet it or condition it.

I used tot hink I needed to, but my coils and curls POP when I just condition or rinse with water and don't comb.

I detangle about ever 2 weeks now and my hair looks great. I do finger comb and seperate the big knots in the shower, with a lot of conditioner in my hair and under running water.

Sometimes if the knots are bad, I condition,finger comb, rinse, then condition again and detangle.

But nothing really (for me) prevents the single strand knots. :ohwell: And I never detangle dry/damp hair EVER.

I comb mine very slowly and gently, while it's full of conditioner of some sort.

I usually start in the back, and start at the bottom, working my way up and around. I comb all my hair out in a 'mushroom' shape, rinse the conditioner out, lightly pat dry, then pick it out so that I can flattwist it. I wear the same style for at LEAST a week, so I'm only combing my hair once a week.

You should grab a section of hair and pull it taut first. Then start combing the ends first, working your way up towards the scalp.

You don't have to do it every wash. I will spot detangle with my fingers while I'm in the shower, but as far a actually detangling with a comb I might do it once per week. When my hair was shorter I almost never used a comb.

nappywomyn said:
I comb mine very slowly and gently, while it's full of conditioner of some sort.

I usually start in the back, and start at the bottom, working my way up and around. I comb all my hair out in a 'mushroom' shape, rinse the conditioner out, lightly pat dry, then pick it out so that I can flattwist it. I wear the same style for at LEAST a week, so I'm only combing my hair once a week.

I agree with nappywomyn. Use a wide tooth comb like those Jilbere Shower Combs.

I mostly "comb" with my fingers, but I also use a wide toothed comb and comb my hair from the ends up when it is wet or damp.

StrawberryQueen said:
Depend on your hair it may not be necessary to comb/brush your hair everytime you wet it or condition it.

I used tot hink I needed to, but my coils and curls POP when I just condition or rinse with water and don't comb.

I detangle about ever 2 weeks now and my hair looks great. I do finger comb and seperate the big knots in the shower, with a lot of conditioner in my hair and under running water.

Sometimes if the knots are bad, I condition,finger comb, rinse, then condition again and detangle.

But nothing really (for me) prevents the single strand knots. :ohwell: And I never detangle dry/damp hair EVER.

Sooo Mrs. Bana!! Think ya got him to yourself??? LOL

While I am at it. If you are combing wet hair. Start from the ends with a wide tooth comb and work your way up. I like to do this with a conditioner in, if I am in the shower or while using a very creamy leave-in conditioner while styling. Currently I am using a veeeryyy moisturizing, creamy leave-in (I mix it with veg glycerine, but is wonder by itselt too) called CANTU it is in a white jar with brownish/orange top.

I also found that the IC Fantansia Intensive Naturals gives good moisture and detangling abilities.

so if i wanted to comb/pick out dry hair i should use a detangler right??? i just dont want y hair to start to dred, it feels so dry...and is it possible to lay down all of my hair with gel???

Last edited:
i too only comb when my hair is Really wet and full of con- ends to scalp... i do this about once a week.

xx

i only do it when wet, and I alternate between using a detangling comb and finger combing. I suggest doing it only while wet and only with conditioner.

I only do my hair wet or at least the ends have some type of detangling product or something I make myself.

In the shower I do most of the detangling with my hands or a shower comb. Depending on the texture of your hair this may be the only viable solution.

I tend to onoly comb my hair once a month, normally because I have twists in for the full month and need to detangle. I've gotten to the point where I think I need to wash my hair in sections as doing it "free-form" leaves me with a huge mass of tangles.

I like to use Doo-Gro Triple Strength Anti-Breakage Growth Detangler...I don't know so much about the "growth" part, but it does detangle like a dream. I use a wide tooth comb, my hair is entirely too thick for finger combing...I'd probably lose a finger, LOL!

http://www.beautymotion.com/DOO-GRO-Triple-Strength-Anti-Breakage-Growth-Detangler-p-907.html

Another good detangler for me that is cream based is the Sally's Generics Paul Mitchell Leave In Conditioner, I'd slather this on and the comb would glide right through any tangles.

I only comb once a week when I wash. I comb in the shower while the hair is full of conditioner. (I wash my hair in four sections.) When I twist, I twist on wet hair and re wet as needed. I never comb my hair dry -- I'm too tenderheaded!!

tsiporah said:
Sooo Mrs. Bana!! Think ya got him to yourself??? LOL

While I am at it. If you are combing wet hair. Start from the ends with a wide tooth comb and work your way up. I like to do this with a conditioner in, if I am in the shower or while using a very creamy leave-in conditioner while styling. Currently I am using a veeeryyy moisturizing, creamy leave-in (I mix it with veg glycerine, but is wonder by itselt too) called CANTU it is in a white jar with brownish/orange top.

I also found that the IC Fantansia Intensive Naturals gives good moisture and detangling abilities.
Eric is all mine and I am fully prepared to battle anyone who come salong to try and take him. BRING IT ONNN!!! :knight: :swordfigh :bud: :armyhat:

I must be weird, cause I use a paddle brush to detangle. My hair is really really thick, though. I stopped using the wide toothed comb a long time ago. But I do only detangle in the showing while its soaking wet with conditioner and water is running over it.

Also, my hair has to be in sections, so I twist my hair (into like 10 big twists), and I detangle it one twist at a time.

I comb it in the shower after I put conditioner in it. This saves time from when I wash the conditioner out and blot dry. Comb from the bottom up when it is damp. GRasp a handful and comb it from the bottom up.

When wet, I only comb my hair under running water from the shower head.

When dry, I only comb my hair if it has been previously stretched out from braids or twists.

zzirvingj said:
I must be weird, cause I use a paddle brush to detangle. My hair is really really thick, though. I stopped using the wide toothed comb a long time ago. But I do only detangle in the showing while its soaking wet with conditioner and water is running over it.

Also, my hair has to be in sections, so I twist my hair (into like 10 big twists), and I detangle it one twist at a time.

Ditto. If I use a comb I'll be there all day and my hands get crazy tired. I also only do it when it soaking wet w/ conditioner probably once a week. In between I'm usually in twists/braid outs, so it's pretty low manipulation.
One of the ladies was asking about laying the hair down. You can get your hair to lay without combing through it, b/c if you do that dry you're going to have alot of breakage. I wet my hands and get my hair damp/ to wet using my fingers. Kinda fingerstyle it into the puff, get the edges lightly with a boar's bristle and then tie it down over night, or maybe right before work. It's been a lifesaver for me, and it gets the hair out of my face.:look:

Back