How Do You Deal with Mixed Textures?

RelaxednNapulous

I didn't complete challenges this spring because my hair was flying off of my head and I wasn't sure why. I was having tangles about 1" from my scalp that were so tight, I couldn't tell where the end was. It was like a doll with looped yarn hair.

I've had issues with the ends breaking off in the past when I got to shoulder length, but I could usually trace it to laziness or carelessness. A few good DCs and all was well. This problem was different. I couldn't detangle my hair in the shower, although for years the comb slide easily through my hair while rinsing out any conditioner, even when I was careless. By careless, I mean sloppy about keeping a regimin, not styling, just throwing it into 2 ponybuns all summer, getting it wet (even in the buns) and letting it dry, putting it in buns while wet. One summer I basically camped and had limited access to a bathroom and the carelessness was even greater. But my hair grew and grew.

By contrast, now, when my hair is wet, you can see how thick it is the first 4-5 inches, but the ends are increasingly thin. It's APL, but not full.

Since moving from a TWA about 6 years ago, I've always texlaxed. For years, I did it by lowering processing time. A little over a year ago, I started using the silkener technique (mixing in oils and protein conditioner with my relaxer). I also switched back to lye at that time, since my hair thrived with a stylist who used lye. I also bought all the other products she used around that time, because they had worked well before. I don't remember when the trouble began, but it was several months in.

When I relaxed 2 months ago, I increased processing time by about 5 minutes, combed through and spread over previously underprocessed areas. I repeated this, except for overlapping, last week. This seemed to correct the tangles at the 1" mark. But I'm still having 2 kinds of breakage: clumps of hairs that look like they were cut off and hairs that have been lassoed by Type 1-3a hair. They might even be the same problem.

I'm mixed, but most people assume I'm 100% black because of my hair, so I always thought of it as 100% type 4something. In the last year or so of having difficulties and paying much more attention to my hair, I've noticed more and more of those Type 1 and 3 hairs. I also noticed that the hair on top of my head is fine and fragile.

Finally, I learned that most of my hair isn't curly at all. No spirals. It's wavy, which is why the "Silkener" didn't produce the cute coils I'd hoped for, but almost straight hair with just a slight wave. Only the back of my hair is coily, though some of it is wavy, too. This makes sense, because my mom has wavy hair. I have mostly afro texture, but mostly a wavy pattern.

This is all a revelation to me. How do you handle the various textures of hair? I know I've seen people post that they had one type in the front, one in the back, etc. I seem to have that as a general pattern, but I've found Type 1 straight hair all over my head. As it is, I am considering straightening more, like trying to get the hair straight everywhere, to end conflict between the textures. I don't want to do that, because I like the waves and especially the coils in the back. But those straight hairs are strangling the curlies, one clump at a time. Or, as my mom put it, "Just like The Man, keepin' brothers down." For now, I'm blowing out more, since it reduces the differences in textures. Haven't done a good rollerset in ages, but trying that again, too.

keepithealthy

I have two different textures in my hair 3c and 4a. But fortunately they aren't that different just a more looseness in curl in the 3c areas and more dryness in the 4a area. I treat both areas the same and just make sure that the 4a area is moisturized adequately. I'm bumping for you so some others can come in and help.

greenandchic

I'm 3c in the front and 4a in the back too. I usually have to spend much more time and care detangling my hair in the back. Washing in sections helps a lot with dealing with the various curl patterns.

Other than that, the issue is mostly when it comes to styling.

RelaxednNapulous

Thanks for responding. Guess I didn't sub, so I didn't know there were responses. I have the 3w (w for wavy!) All over and 4abcwz in the back. But the hair-choking Type 1s are all over.

Haven't heard of anyone else with this issue. I didn't have it until I got past shoulder length.

I also started doing aquatics, so I think the breakage around my entire hairline was from the swimming cap. I use a shower cap instead now. I'd like to swim again, but with all the breakage, I'm hesitant to add another variable before I figure out the real issue(s). Fortunately, it's a saline pool, so there isn't as much chlorine.

song_of_serenity

3c in the top half, and 4a in the middle and the sides around the 3c and 3c/4a mixed in the very back. It's not, as keepithealthy said, that different, but the 3c does hang looser than the 4a which is annoying as it is a bit longer as well. I wear twists or puffs so it doesn't affect much if I style accordingly.

ryanshope

I have like 3 distinct and different textures 4A on top, 4b on the back and like 5Z on the sides...so my top is looser and the cur diameter is rounder making my fro look like a pompadour/Lavar Burton thingy...its terrible. I "TRY" to keep the sides and back extra moisturized and I always do twistouts---cuz wash n goes don't do so well with my various texture mixes. I just play up the top....braid the back n sides up or do afro puffs until the sides are longer...

cheryl26

I think having multiple types makes my hair look damaged. It's straight at the nape and looks odd up against the rest of my curls which I guess are 3ab. The crown is also course and frizzes up easily so I just put more of whatever product I'm using and it looks alright. Nothing else I can do since I wear it down most of the time so I don't look so big.

Amarilles

I'm transitioning still but I see types 2 waves, type 3 curls and type 4 coils in my shed. I cut the perm off and they look like below. I live in braidouts now and I probably will continue living in them once I'm 100% natural.