Two different hair textures...what would you do?

stixx

In between SL and APL "texlaxed" hair...changed hairdressers maybe 6 months ago and now I have two different textures going on. The "old" hair is pretty much straight with a slight curl to it. The "new" hair, about 3-4 inches worth, has much tighter curls...it almost looks natural although it's a lot softer and easier to manage.

I don't think I've had breakage at the demarcation line between the two textures...yet. However I've been straightening my hair thermally so there's no stress between them, and I can't keep that up in summer.

What I think are my options: (also welcome to any other suggestions!)
I could "transition" to the new texture...good because it's less processed and so much healthier, except that the majority of my length is the "old" type and I want to try and keep it.

I could try a corrective relaxer on the new texture, but my hair is super fragile to begin with and I'm really scared of relaxing any of it more than once.

I really aprpeciate your input!

MummysGirl

I'd say transition to this new texture.... if it's a problem, you could do a corrective when you're getting your next relaxer - make sure you protect your ends with conditioner/oil.

prospurr4

I agree with MummysGirl; I would transition to the new texture...in fact, that's what I did.

Several years ago, I decided to improve my health by eating better and exercising regularly. Soon, I noticed that my new growth was coming in thicker than before. I liked this healthier texture and wanted to keep "some" of it, so I started texlaxing. Like you, I had a lot of relaxed-straight ends; I was a little past SL. So, I just trimmed gradually until all that was left was texlaxed. My hair is so much thicker and healthier now.:yep:

stixx

Bumping with an update and more questions... :spinning:

It's been a couple months since I had a relaxer....so I definitely have 3 distinct textures. My new growth, some underprocessed hair, and the rest almost bone straight. So it looks like:

Roots: ZZSSSSSS----------------- :Ends

I haven't noticed any breakage at either of the demarcation lines lately, but I'm worried. So again I'm thinking of just touching up my new growth to get SSSSS----------. But then I'm still worried about breakage at the S/- line.

What I'm wondering, is if you consistently keep your hair one texture, there won't be any breakage, right? I.e. in my case, if I always kept my hair bone straight via. rollersets or flatirons?

I know this is super confusing, but I appreciate your help!

Duff

well I'm transitioning from bone straight to texlaxed hair. so far I love it. the only challenge is conquering the tangling. I dont plan on cutting off my straight ends (you can really see them in my profile photos). I have no split ends and I see no need. eventually they will be trimmed off slowly and prob after I reach my goal.

stixx

Thanks Duff!

How do you wear your hair on a daily basis? Wash-n-go or straight?

What I'm wondering is what's worse - having the two different textures in your hair and potential stress as the demarcation line, or the manipulation/heat from keeping it all straight.

Last edited: