How do you deep condition? Pre/post-washing? Heat/no heat?

amwcah

With all my new growth :D from stretching, I have been deep conditioning overnite without heat prior to washing. I'm not sure if this is really considered deep conditioning or not since I'm not using heat, but I do use a cholestrol cap. :confused: Also, it is just too time consuming jumping in and out of the shower after every treatment.:ohwell:

So, what's your method for deep conditioning?

I always deep condition on dry hair which elimated the need to go in and out of the shower. If I want to pre-poo with some oils, then I apply the oils, put the heating cap on ..then use shampoo in the shower applying the conditioner for about 3 mins while I wash my body.
I personally like to have at least some heat everytime I DC but I know many have had great results with no heat at all..ie Isis

cutiebe2 said:
I always deep condition on dry hair which elimated the need to go in and out of the shower. If I want to pre-poo with some oils, then I apply the oils, put the heating cap on ..then use shampoo in the shower applying the conditioner for about 3 mins while I wash my body.
I personally like to have at least some heat everytime I DC but I know many have had great results with no heat at all..ie Isis

I do this sometimes, for the same reason. Just sometimes when I pressed for time, I gotta do it. But, like DI, I prefer to shampoo 1st.

shampoo and then apply the DC with heat under my bonnet dryer. I know some folks who dc before they shampoo but it feels weird applying conditioner to dirty hair so I wont be doing that method again.

I usually always dc after shampoo with heat, but I feel you on the jumping in and out of the shower :look:. I might try the pre poo dc tomorrow and see how that works out.

I shampoo (I don't pre-poo), then deep condition for up to 2 or more hours.

I shampoo my hair in the kitchen sink, then rinse condish out in shower.

Towel dry, upside down/bent over ( I don't pull the hair back to aviod tangling). Then apply the conditioner bent over, put into a high ponytail. Then I saran wrap for an 1 hr 45 min then I apply heat for the last 15 minutes. Comb my hair down(because of the slip--no tangling) then rinse in the shower.

Last edited:
I do all of my washing and rinsing in the shower. Having my hair go down the drain while it's still attached to my head is just disgusting.:perplexed

I mix a teaspoon or honey and a teaspoon of oil (hemp, avocado, olive, coconut, etc...) in a little bowl and leave it on the kitchen counter before I get into the shower.

I shampoo my hair in the shower and when I'm almost finished rinsing out the shampoo I yell for DH to put my honey/oil bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds. :lol: He brings it to me and I mix my deep conditioner into it and apply it to my damp clean hair.

Then I twist my conditioner coated hair up into a large bun on top of my head and put on a plastic cap. I wrap a hot towel from the dryer over the cap.

Then I hang out for about an hour, either on LHCF or reading to the kids, cuddling with DH, etc...

After an hour I hop into the shower and rinse my hair.

Comes out perfect every time!:D

camellia said:
I shampoo my hair in the shower and when I'm almost finished rinsing out the shampoo I yell for DH to put my honey/oil bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds. :lol: He brings it to me and I mix my deep conditioner into it and apply it to my damp clean hair.

Comes out perfect every time!:D
I love that! I wish I could get my mother to do that for me:cool:

A stylist once told me that you're not really deep conditioning your hair if you don't apply heat (i.e. sit under a hooded dryer with product in hair for approx. 15 minutes before rinsing out). However, Essence magazine recently did a poll on the best beauty products and readers rated V05 hot oil treatment as the best deep conditioner.

I purchased some the other day and used it today. All you have to do is place the tube of oil in hot water for 1 minute, then place the oil on your hair for one minute before shampooing. Some claim this is sufficient, but I can't really attest to it until I do it more often.

NuMe2004 said:
A stylist once told me that you're not really deep conditioning your hair if you don't apply heat (i.e. sit under a hooded dryer with product in hair for approx. 15 minutes before rinsing out). However, Essence magazine recently did a poll on the best beauty products and readers rated V05 hot oil treatment as the best deep conditioner.

I purchased some the other day and used it today. All you have to do is place the tube of oil in hot water for 1 minute, then place the oil on your hair for one minute before shampooing. Some claim this is sufficient, but I can't really attest to it until I do it more often.

Hot oil treatments never seems to do anything for me, but I like the ingredients in this.

Water (Aqua), Cocotrimonium Chloride, Aloe Barbadensis (Leaf Juice), Acetamide MEA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEI-1750, Polyquaternium 10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Thiamin HCl, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein/Vegetable Amino Acids, Retinyl Palmitate, /Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Phytantriol, Biotin, Polysorbate 20, Oleth-20, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (parfum), Yellow 6 (CI 15985)

I hesitate to say that this is the best deep conditioner of all with all the products out here, but I do like the ingredients in this. I also like the fact that you do it on your hair before shampooing. but, I guess that is with all hot oil treatments right? I may have to give this a try. Man, Safeway had these and other VO5 treatments on sale last week.

Lately, I've been deep conditioning on dry hair, sitting under the hood dryer for 20 minutes and leaving it on even longer if I can. Then I proceed with shampooing and conditioning in the shower. The only other times I typically deep condition after shampooing would be after self-relaxing and henna treatments.

I have always considered deep cond to be if you sat under a dryer for 20 min or more. So this is how I always do a deep cond. However on Friday nights I put a cond on my dry hair and let it cond overnight and then proceed with my normal wash on Sat. This is my pre-poo but I this is def not my deep cond.

I have a tendency to DC on dry hair, sometimes overnight. I usually will sit under the dryer for at least 30-60 minutes. It seems to be working really well. I have been trying to switch up and do it after my shampoo, maybe every other week. I think I might be liking the prepoo DC results a little better. My hair is moisturized but not too soft and squishy. It feels just right.

Divine Inspiration said:
I've deep conditioned on dry hair before, but I prefer to shampoo first then follow with a DC for 30 min. w/ heat.

Divine Inspiration~Did you notice a difference in your hair with applying heat and not applying heat?

cutiebe2 said:

Cutiebe2~Yes, I do this sometimes also. I just don't have time to jump in and out of the shower. Especially since it is still cold up this way.:(

Cleve_gryl said:
I usually always dc after shampoo with heat, but I feel you on the jumping in and out of the shower :look:. I might try the pre poo dc tomorrow and see how that works out.

Cleve_gryl~Girl, yes! Let us know how you like it.

camellia said:
I do all of my washing and rinsing in the shower. Having my hair go down the drain while it's still attached to my head is just disgusting.:perplexed

I mix a teaspoon or honey and a teaspoon of oil (hemp, avocado, olive, coconut, etc...) in a little bowl and leave it on the kitchen counter before I get into the shower.

Then I twist my conditioner coated hair up into a large bun on top of my head and put on a plastic cap. I wrap a hot towel from the dryer over the cap.

Then I hang out for about an hour, either on LHCF or reading to the kids, cuddling with DH, etc...

After an hour I hop into the shower and rinse my hair.

Camellia~I don't like that either! Actually, I will just bend over and wash in the tub for an alternative method.

ella said:
I DC on dry hair with a showercap for at least 2-3 hours,sometimes for even a whole day like today.

Ella~Me too! Actually, I do this the majority of the time. ;)

Back