How do you do a donut bun?

zzirvingj

I must admit, I don't know how to do one, but I wanna try it :look:

What material is the "donut" itself made of? Does anybody have tips on how to create the perfect donut bun (especially if you're natural cause I'll be doing this on my natural hair)....?

Please share pics of your donut bun if you have any! :yep: :drunk:

donewit-it

Hey zzirving, one of my hair idols.....

It is easy especially since you have all of that beautiful hair.
First make your ponytail using a holder. If you haven't purchased a donut, you can use a rolled up sock or knee hi. Just cut off the toe part and roll inwards until you have it in a circular position. I quess knee hi would be better if are natural, because the commercial styrofoam(sp) is kind of hard in my opinion.

Place the donut over your already established ponytail. After, take little sections and work it around and tuck under until you have formed a perfect bun. I don't have pictures of myself since my now natural hair isn't quite long enough. But I just might have to try it soon. Good luck and I hope it helps and is somewhat clear.

Last edited:

KinksnCurlz

I have done mine without the donut.

After putting your hair in a ponytail holder, use a fine tooth comb and fan the hair out (from the middle outwards so that the length of the hair is just hanging a full 360 around ur head). It helps if you hold your head down (not your body... just your head lol) Then you take small sections (i start from the right top) and softly roll it around gathering hair as you complete the 360. All of your hair should be bunned up. And it will be very full. Use wig pins to secure it.

The key with this is when you are gathering hair and going around, do not do it tightly. You are just grabbing hair and sort of 'tucking' it under in a half twist motion.

Here's a pic (this is olddddd lol)...

P.S. I also do this on my daughter's midback natural hair and it comes out wayyy better than mine. LOL

Last edited:

Fine 4s

From someone's fotki
-------------------

1. I bought this fake hair scrunchie as a filler for a thicker bun.

2. I made a ponytail with a tiny bubble.

3. Then I wound the fake hair scrunchie around my ponytail.

4. Next I found the center of the ponytail and fanned my hair out in a circle.

5. I loosely wrapped my ends around the base of the ponytail to make the bun.

6. After I made the bun, I secured it with a few pins or beaded scrunchie.

Another fotki:

Intructions for a bun

Tools needed:

-Scrunchy
-Elastic Ponytail Holder
-1 Sock with foot cut out - (for us that don't have enough hair to make a full looking bun)
-Hair Clips if needed
-Bobby pins
-Favorite gel
-Favorite moisturizer
-Scarf

To make a scrunchy/sock:
Cut off the foot part of the sock
Take the sock and wrap it around the scrunchy inside & out- until you have a scrunchy sock

To make the bun:
After hair is washed, condition and detangle hair with Denman brush
After conditioner is washed out, squeeze excess water out with hand softly, do not towel dry
While hair is wet, apply your favorite moisturizer to the ends of your hair.
Than apply our favorite gel to the edges & sides of hair
Brush hair into a ponytail using elastic holder
Apply hair clips if needed
Using the scrunchy sock, pull hair threw so that scrunchy sock is around your ponytail.
Your hair should be detangled so it should be easy to make the bun
Take your ponytailed hair, part it in the middle
By small sections, wrap hair around scrunchy sock & tuck under
Make sure you secure hair with bobby pins
Complete step all around the scrunchy until it is completely covered and have no more hair left
After you are done with your bun, tie down with a scarf to slick edges down

AFashionSlave's double decker bun!

• I started with one thin pair of black socks and one thin pair of white socks

• I rolled the white pair into a donut.

• Next I rolled the black pair over the white pair. (If you need more details please take a look at my original bun donut album.)

• Here I just wanted to show the size comparison to my normal bun donut. The bun donut I used in my original bun is on the right (bigger). The two bun donuts I created are on the left side.

• Here is another size comparison shot. The one on the left is the size I will use for the double decker donut style. The one on the right is my original bun donut used in the other album (regular size).

• I used one ponytail holder to make a low pony puff

• Then I added one bun donut around my puff.

• Spread the hair around the first donut and add another ponytail holder to secure the hair. Do not tuck in the loose ends of hair (like you would when using a normal bun donut). Leave your hair ends out.

• Stretch the second bun donut around the first finished bun. (this is the one that will be closer to your head and look bigger.

• Now use your thumb to tuck in the loose ends of hair. Tuck the hair into the area in-between the two donuts. (backwards)
But looking at the amount of hair YOU have Z, I don't think you need a filler.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
You can get a donut bun for 89 cents at Sally's. I just got one and I'm still experimenting. I would like to make my donut bigger though....any ideas?

I saw in someone's fotki (I think it was greenmaggie)........... she took a rolled up scarf and wrapped it around her ponytail for the donut. It was really pretty. I might try that one next

kweenameena

I have a pic in my fotki of the filler I bought at the store but your hair is long and thick enough to do it without a filler. Make sure you post pics if you do it.:yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I have done mine without the donut.

After putting your hair in a ponytail holder, use a fine tooth comb and fan the hair out (from the middle outwards so that the length of the hair is just hanging a full 360 around ur head). It helps if you hold your head down (not your body... just your head lol) Then you take small sections (i start from the right top) and softly roll it around gathering hair as you complete the 360. All of your hair should be bunned up. And it will be very full. Use wig pins to secure it.

The key with this is when you are gathering hair and going around, do not do it tightly. You are just grabbing hair and sort of 'tucking' it under in a half twist motion.

Here's a pic (this is olddddd lol)...

P.S. I also do this on my daughter's midback natural hair and it comes out wayyy better than mine. LOL

I love your bun!.....and your earrings!!!

Allandra

I don't use the foam donut to do my bun.

I pull my hair back as if about to put in in a ponytail, gently twist the length, and coil it around to form a neat bun. I secure my bun with Good Days Hair Pins.