How do you keep your edges smooth?

LovelyLionessa

Now that I have begun heat styling my hair, I am having a bit of difficulty keeping my edges in top form. When I was heat free, I was able to maintain my hair with frequent co-washes, S-Curl and coconut oil to keep them soft and moisturized. But with the rest of my hair flat ironed and I begin my relaxer stretch, I feel like it's a bit of a losing battle keeping those edges straight. I don't want to rewet them with S-Curl, since that seems counterproductive when trying to acheive and maintain straight hair.

I am considering repurchasing a wax stick I used to use from Sally's on my edges, when I thought I was transitioning, but it really morphed into a 6 month stretch.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/140/140106

Anyway I'm babbling, please give me your suggestions. TIA :D

inthepink

That's my only suggestion.

I usually use my tancho stick (like the wax stick) or CD Healthy Hair Butter (very sparingly).

LovelyLionessa

hairlove said:
That's my only suggestion.

I usually use my tancho stick (like the wax stick) or CD Healthy Hair Butter (very sparingly).

Thank you so much, Hairlove for responding. Now I don't feel quite so unloved. :look:

I think I'll pick up that Sally's wax stick on my next BSS run. :D

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I use Fantasia IC Gel for Color Treated hair to slick back my edges (after so many weeks of newgrowth) when wearing a bun.

I'll just tie my hair down in the front with one of those mesh wraps to keep it laying flat. If I'm not using gel, I'd use a bit of water and QB Alma & Olive Heavy Cream or Oyin Shine & Define on my edges and tie it down for the night.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I know what you mean because when I'm wearing my hair straight I don't want to re-wet it w/ anything either. I use Elasta QP Glaze and it always does the trick w/o reverting my hair.

Brownshugaz

Pokahontas said:
I know what you mean because when I'm wearing my hair straight I don't want to re-wet it w/ anything either. I use Elasta QP Glaze and it always does the trick w/o reverting my hair.

i second the glaze. look in my album i have some pictures of it on my edges

asubeauty

I use EQP Glaze too.

If it's close to touch up time, I'll put mango butter on my edges while my hair is wet, and tie them down with a scarf while I do the ponytail method to airdry. When my hair is dry, I mix gel with mango butter or another moisturizer and brush my edges with a soft bristle brush.

LovelyLionessa

Oooh, I think my Wal-Mart carries the EQP Glaze. Maybe I'll pick up a jar. :scratchch

Thanks so much guys!! Sorry I was so paranoid that no one would answer. I'm still very much a newbie and I had a little LHCF panic attack posting a new thread! :blush:

inthepink

I've tried QP Glaze before and it always melts like it has water in it or something so needless tos ay it didn't work for me.

I'm curious about the Joice Ice - does it stay soft enough to brush? Or do you have to rinse it out every day? (in which it wouldn't work.)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ELASTA QP GLAZE... trust me, it works!!!! I tried it once for a puff and it smooths my air down like nobody's businesss and gives great shine. It's the best thing I've ever tried for keeping my edges smooth. Better than the scarf method, brushing, or any other gel or product I've tried.

But now, I don't wear puffs anymore... I've just been wearing shake-n-gos.

hairlove, I cant believe it didnt work for you! I hope you find something that works for you. ;)

E

EbonyRose

that is a seriously good question cuz i'm still on napp partol and these jokers are something awful. i use the jam mixed with water and it does nothing--is elasta glaze the same consistency as jam? i haven't had a chemical fix since apr. and i'm running low on options--ya know when ur hair is short and combative-it looks like a HAM :lachen: well, atleast mine does (type 4).

EMJazzy

Happily retired
hairlove said:
I've tried QP Glaze before and it always melts like it has water in it or something so needless tos ay it didn't work for me.

I'm curious about the Joice Ice - does it stay soft enough to brush? Or do you have to rinse it out every day? (in which it wouldn't work.)

(bolded) the exact same thing happened to me :confused: I can't use that stuff either :nono: ...what works for me is the Thick n Shine (the brown Fantasia Gel) :yep:

LovelyLionessa

I got the Elasta Glaze tonight. I notice it is really thick but not at all greasy like I remember Jam. I dabbed some on my edges and brushed them down and I really like the hold the product provides. Very nice. Now the trick will be to see how long I can make this look last. I am going to experiment sealing it with a little WGO and putting my scarf for the night to see just how well I can make those bad boy edges lay down! :spank: :lol:

Extremus

I heard that the following things help maintain new growth:

1. Sunsilk 24/7 creme [ Have this, but dying to try it, don't have any thick new growth as of right now though :sad:]
2. Elasta QP Mango butter [I like it]
3. WGO [ I have this, haven't used this on my edges yet]
4. Elasta QP Glaze [Can't slick my thick edges if I'm 8+ weeks post... maybe I'm not conditioning right or something :ohwell:, it's very thick, which is what I like]