How do you keep your new growth as soft as possible?

melodee

For those who stretch or are transitioning, you know how hard it is to manage those two textures. In my case, there are three--stringy bone straight hair ( I'm bout to cut all that thin stuff off), more textured hair from applying relaxers without the heavy hand, and new growth/kinky hair.

What products or methods do you use to keep your hair from breaking too much or to control new growth? My coconut milk and lime mix worked, but only very temporarily.

LiLi

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny System. The shampoo alone allows me to comb through 2 years of new growth and relaxed hair with no problem.

hottopic

Bees said:
Elasta QP Mango Butter and most definitely SCurl.

2nd this comment. If it was not for SCurl especially, I would be in trouble. Mango Butter I use on my ends.

RabiaElaine

Melody, good thread!!!

I am dealing with the same problem as you (dealing with 3 textures), only thing is my hair is much shorter than yours so it's even more difficult managing the 3 textures during my stretch.

I'm 15 weeks post (relaxing on thursday). I've done a couple of things...I mostly wore my hair with a phonypony throughout the stretch for my everyday style. I put my hair in a ponytail while in the shower. I would squeeze WGO and MTG into my roots with applicator bottles.

In terms of softening the roots I would have to say that WGO and Scurl work magic for me, though Scurl isn't a good idea if you want a straight style.

HTH

caligirl

LiLi said:
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny System. The shampoo alone allows me to comb through 2 years of new growth and relaxed hair with no problem.

This is how I feel about Matrix Sleek Line Shampoo/Conditioner. My beloved denman brush glides thru my natural hair like its relaxed.

cocowhite

Smooth n' Shine leave in conditioner with vitamins and NTM leave in conditioner has worked wonders on my new growth. It is so managable and soft.

planodiva

Melodee, I'm so in need of this thread. Okay now ladies who suggest S-Curl...how does this help with the newgrowth? I was wondering if I could use S-Curl for my wash and go but I don't know anything about this product.

Melodee- co wash and EVOO during stretches really help me go the distance which is only 12-14 weeks.

metalkitty

planodiva said:
Melodee, I'm so in need of this thread. Okay now ladies who suggest S-Curl...how does this help with the newgrowth? I was wondering if I could use S-Curl for my wash and go but I don't know anything about this product.

Melodee- co wash and EVOO during stretches really help me go the distance which is only 12-14 weeks.

For me and alot of other ladies, s-curl really detangles and moisturizes the newgrowth into curls and waves instead of frizz. I agree with you about the co washes too!

kitkat3ny

Daily CW w/ Wheat Germ conditioner and Suave Humectant or Russ Kalvin Humectant knock-off and Qhemet Biologics Heavy Amla & Olive Cream. Nothing has ever soften my hair like this cream.

aileenadq

LiLi said:

Does the shampoo have SLS or ALS in it?

TIA

Soul♥Flower

I found this recipe by accident but it works and has lasting results (until next washing):

1/4 cup olive oil
2tablespoons honey

Mix together, warm (in microwave or stove), then stir until honey blended as much as possible, then add

1/3 cup pure aloe vera(liquid)
1tsp castor oil

Mix together and use as a preshampoo deep conditioner.

brownsugarflyygirl

Since I am transitioning, I am now working with a years worth of new growth! Deep conditioning 2x week with olive/castor oil added to my conditioner, detangling when wet and saturated with conditioner, using a little Kids Organic Shea Butter Moisturizing Detangler after leave in for added slip, and airdrying in four ponytails has helped me manage my new growth. It seems to be what I do to my hair BEFORE my hair dries that makes the difference not what I put on AFTERwards. My newgrowth is soo soft and when I ocassionally comb it between washes, I just mist it with water first and the comb slides through....I dont even have to use hardly any products to get it to lay down....

Oh and as a side note, I tried S-Curl and didnt like it...it made my hair to feel heavy, weighed down, and kinda greasy. I wasnt feeling it :down: I still have it so I may try again after I BC for lasting moisture and curl definition..but for now its a no-no

wadadligyal

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Oh and as a side note, I tried S-Curl and didnt like it...it made my hair to feel heavy, weighed down, and kinda greasy. I wasnt feeling it :down:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Scurl either but regular cowashes, less manipulation, a half half mixture of infusium and water along with my new fav leave in garnier fructis sleek & shine leave in conditioner. I'm 17 weeks post and counting

LovelyLionessa

I spray my new growth with S-Curl, seal with coconut oil, brush edges down with a soft bristle toothbrush, and put on a scarf and go to bed. This helps moisturize, soften and straigthen my NG. :cool:

Also deep conditioning works wonders on my NG while stretching. Since my last touch-up I have since discovered WGO and Qhemet Biologics Alma & Olive Heavy Cream and these 2 products make my hair touchably soft. I will definitely be reaching for these when that NG comes in. :yep:

Allandra

LiLi said:
I've been using this line for a while, and it's great!