How do you maintain your natural hair weekly?

Country gal

I am transitioning. I did cut out a good portion of the perm so I mostly have new growth in my hair with a few inches of perm. How do you wear your hair through the week. I am challenged and what to find other alternatives besides wetsetting. I plaited my hair last night and unplucked it this morning. I think it looks cute. I am trying to stay away from heat (blowdrying and then flat ironing) because I think it is causing my hair to shed. When my hair is wet it is so easy to syle. How can I maintain the wet look even after it dries? My cousin was telling me there is so product that makes your hair crinkly. I think she said it was so soft.

Daughter

UK Blak
Staying away from heat is definitely the way to go...

When I was transitioning, I mainly had my hair in cornrows without extensions until it grew out long enough to try twists (still my usual style), puffs and so on...HTH

CocoaButterflyy

my transitioning style was flat twists going all the way back into a bun, braid sets (with and without rollers on the end), twist sets, and braids. For the "wet" look after it dries I use a creme set lotion and oil and apply that all over my hair and then diffuse and stretch my hair a lttle hth

caligirl

For the wet look, you can leave a little regular conditioner in your hair.
Every week, I wash, deep condition, and do 14 plaits for a braidout.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I did the BC 3 weeks ago and my hair is growing like weeds!! :shocked: Let me add that my hair is very low maintence. :yep:

Every night I shampoo, towel dry, and apply either Hawaian Silky "Sure Gro" Grease or Hollywood's Carrot Mositurizer. Cover with a silk bonnet.

I deep condition 2x a week. I apply no heat. :nono:

In the morning, when I wake up for work, I spray a concotion of Surge Plus 14 mixed w/ water and EVOO, apply my "Miss Jessie Curling Pudding Substitute", lightly brush it back, and I'm out the door..opps not before my make-up. :lol:

moda

sugaplum said:
I did the BC 3 weeks ago and my hair is growing like weeds!! :shocked: Let me add that my hair is very low maintence. :yep:

Every night I shampoo, towel dry, and apply either Hawaian Silky "Sure Gro" Grease or Hollywood's Carrot Mositurizer. Cover with a silk bonnet.

I deep condition 2x a week. I apply no heat. :nono:

In the morning, when I wake up for work, I spray a concotion of Surge Plus 14 mixed w/ water and EVOO, apply my "Miss Jessie Curling Pudding Substitute", lightly brush it back, and I'm out the door..opps not before my make-up. :lol:

Sugaplum, spill the beans what is it?

I do buns, twists, twistouts, braidouts, strawsets, and spiral sets no heat required.

Dolapo

cincybrownsugar said:
Sugaplum, spill the beans what is it?

I do buns, twists, twistouts, braidouts, strawsets, and spiral sets no heat required.
yep what is it? err...im doing bantu knot outs and braidouts. and i have to wet it everyday with my spritz mixture then adding oils

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
I also did twist/flattwists while I was transitioning. I would put perm rods on the end so that the permed ends would not unravel and thats it. An easy style that lasted for a while and no heat needed.

lavendarlover

I do daily shampoo, conditioner, then rinse and fingercomb without applying any product. I can't help you on the wet look, because I actually LIKE the way that my hair looks once it dries. My signature style would be the puff, or parted with clippies. Mostly chunky all over, which would be difficult for you with the permed ends.

Ayeshia

No heat whatsoever...I also co wash daily with Elucence or Herbal Essences fruit Fusions. I leave the conditoner in..add some oil and thats it.However now that I have highlights, I have to do protien treatmentsa and moisturize more often.

kristina

it depends on the week but i like going 2-4 weeks in twists or box braids. in between I wear a ponytail or bun. For all the styles the prep. is similar- i wash condition, detangle, put in large braids (approx 14) and dry overnight. Then I unbraid my hair which is dry or pretty close to dry and either gets to twisting or braiding or smooth it into a bun or a ponytail. I'm regularly using hair butters in my hair and I but in a hair softener (something with glycerin) when my hair feels dry.

lsubabiedee

well, i usually just shampoo, co rinse, or just rinse my hair at nite and then put it into 2 braids ( i actually did one braid last nite for the first time and all my hair fit and i didnt think it would), and take them down in the morning and maybe add a headband or something and go....but for a few nights this week I just kept it in the puff i wore that day and tied it down and just fluffed my hair up in the mornings and that worked out quite nicely

curlilocs

During my transition I was a wash and goer, I wet my hair daily. I guess now that I've BC'ed I'm still a wash and goer. I CO everyday, add my coconut oil, add my MOP Leave-in, (just replaced Smooth and Shine Curl Activator Gel), and I'm out! Super easy!

Sridevi

To the daily CO washers- -how long does it take your hair to dry?

My hair is quite thick. I've found that if I completely wet my hair in the evening it will not be completely dry by early morning when I have to leave for work.

For this reason I wash and condition once weekly. Plait my hair with Carol's Daughter's HHB and wear a scarf until it is completely dry. When I undo the plaits the braid-out will last through the end of the week. I re-plait certain areas during the week if they start to frizz.

carameldiva

i do a co wash daily- i add liquid aloe vera to my conditioner.
Rinse then apply my leave-in (glycerin/water mix) massage it in and go.
Usually takes a hour or two for my hair to dry and it is moisturized all day long and soft.
Weekly:
Preshampoo treatment of castor oil-applied to dry hair, add thin plastic cap and leave on for 2 to 3 hours
Shampoo out with shampoo concentrate from www.thechemistrystore.com or cream of nature shampoo in the green and white bottle
apply rinse out conditioner(same as my daily co)
leave in for 5 to 10 mins
rinse and apply cholesterol, apply thin plastic cap, leave in for 2 to 3 hours
rinse and spray hair with Beyond the Zone's protein cocktail

That's it.

ajargon02

I really shy away from heat myself. I am trying to grow out color, and a layered cut that I had gotten. What I do in the summer differs from the fall/winter rutine. What does stay the same is that I try to keep my hair in twists or braids. I do let my hair out once every week and a half at times. Right now, I just stay twisted,w/ cw every few days. Then I just re-twist. I don't really have time to play w/ my hair like I want to( I still have hand in fro disease) so I just twist it up in a way that I like, and that's about all. I will curl the twists on magnetic rollers at times, and I have a bunch of hair thingies to keep things fun. I figure that I can do everything w/ my hair straight, that I can do w/ it being "fro-ey". In the summer though, I shake and go often, depending on how hot the weather is gonna be, and if I don't really feel like twisting or doing anything else to my hair. Just cw, a little finger styling and go. I think the "styling options" as a natural depend on how comfy you are in your own skin w/ your natural hair, and well you can style your hair period. Just my 2 cents

locabouthair

right now i am wearing cornrows with a phony pony doing the baggie technique. i try to deep condition every week and braid it up again because thats the only way i can keep my hands out of my hair. and i am hoping giving it a rest will help it to grow.