How do you make a half wig look more natural?

HairQueen

Hi

I am BOOOORED of my current protective style which is a phony pony. I want to try something new so I bought a half wig.

Please see the pictures I have attached below. The one bought was the one in the first picture. It just looked SO fake! First it was too shiney and second it was just so BIG! I would like to try something else (I especially like the 3rd picture) but I am afraid it will look too fake.

Ladies who wear them regular how do you take the shine out of the fake hair and how do you make it not look like too much big hair?

Thanks

Attachments

• Half Wig1.jpg
    Half Wig1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Wig 2.jpg
    Wig 2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Wig 3.jpg
    Wig 3.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Wig 4.jpg
    Wig 4.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
They all look so nice, HairQueen. I rocked the "Hannah" half wig from the same collection (Outre)for a long time. I still wear a 1/2 wig daily.

I have found that after about a week of wear, it loses its shine. The longer I wear the piece, the more natural it becomes.

I hope that you give it a try and that it works out for you!

I've read that for the shine you can either brush a little baby powder through or spray spritz on. hth

some of them can look real plasticy too. Make sure first off to pick one that doesn't have so much of a plastic sheen. That will help you right off the bat.

And the sheen does kind of wear off. Make sure to get the piece of hair hanging out to be a great match by curling, flat ironing, rodding it or whatever. And spray it with sheen spray (or lightly gloss it with oil and your fingers) so it will match the fake hair better.

I also use Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion on my half wigs/wigs to keep them looking fresh. Just scrunch it into the "hair" either dry or after you wash it. It really helps.

Last edited:
Make sure you comb thru it so it doesn't look so "molded" and uniform. That move in and of itself makes it look natural IMO

I dont know if this is too much work, but I make my own. I pick my own human hair and sew it onto an adjustable wig cap. This way I know Im using good hair that looks natural as well I can control the density so it doesnt look too wiggy. HTH

I think it depends on the particular style...I find some of them to be a hit or miss.....to me most of them don't even look the same as they do in the photo...I usually look on line to get a general idea of styles that interest me and then go to the beauty supply store to check them out...out of several styles that I write down I usually only find one or two that I like....I don't pick any that have that fake shiny look...

some of them can look real plasticy too. Make sure first off to pick one that doesn't have so much of a plastic sheen. That will help you right off the bat.

Yeah I don't mean to sound cruel but I don't wanna look like 'another black girl' with a bad weave lol!

I hate fake hair at the best of times, I have seen some girls with nice curly styles but you can just TELL it's not their hair..

I dont know if this is too much work, but I make my own. I pick my own human hair and sew it onto an adjustable wig cap. This way I know Im using good hair that looks natural as well I can control the density so it doesnt look too wiggy. HTH

Good idea - I have thought about doing this but I just don't have the patience for that!

I read a post where someone said they soaked theirs in vinegar and water! Can't remember who posted it - does that not make it smell of vinegar??

How about it if I soak it in some shampoo do you guys think that will help cut out the shine????

Hi

I am BOOOORED of my current protective style which is a phony pony. I want to try something new so I bought a half wig.

Please see the pictures I have attached below. The one bought was the one in the first picture. It just looked SO fake! First it was too shiney and second it was just so BIG! I would like to try something else (I especially like the 3rd picture) but I am afraid it will look too fake.

Ladies who wear them regular how do you take the shine out of the fake hair and how do you make it not look like too much big hair?

Thanks

Hi!

I rotate half wigs and phony ponies ALL the time. To make half wigs look more natural. I stick with curly, wavy ones - as most of the straight ones look plastic to me. I always comb out the curls either with my fingers or a wide tooth comb.

If you think it is too thick, don't be afraid to snip some of the tracks out where you would like to cut back on thickness.

I have soaked my wigs in shampoo or vinegar to cut down on the shine. After the vinegar soak, rinse the half wig and let it soak in some conditioner- i promise there will be no smell.

Here is a picture of me wearing the wig that is 3rd from the left- so you can see what it look like IRL.

sensationnel.jpg

ETA: I always cut my half wigs to full shoulder length.

Last edited:
I usually wear my half wigs where I gel down the front of my hair so that it matches the wave pattern of the wavy/curly hair then I add a hair band (usually black if at work) to cover up the damarcation line between my hair and the half wig. That's been my staple lately.

Hi!

I rotate half wigs and phony ponies ALL the time. To make half wigs look more natural. I stick with curly, wavy ones - as most of the straight ones look plastic to me. I always comb out the curls either with my fingers or a wide tooth comb.

If you think it is too thick, don't be afraid to snip some of the tracks out where you would like to cut back on thickness.

I have soaked my wigs in shampoo or vinegar to cut down on the shine. After the vinegar soak, rinse the half wig and let it soak in some conditioner- i promise there will be no smell.

Here is a picture of me wearing the wig that is 3rd from the left- so you can see what it look like IRL.

sensationnel.jpg

That looks really cute on you! How do you style the front of your hair wearing that half-wig? It looks like you have it clipped up off your face.

If its curly I will braid/ twist the front of my hair and put perm rods on the hair that is straight and blend it. If its straight...My hair covers all of the top and I'll bump what ever falls over the wig. Then use a serum (Mizani high gloss) to run throught the entire length so it has the same sheen.

Do you have instructions on how to do this. I would like to try making my own wig

Hi!

THis is also what I do, I soak my wigs in vinegar and water for a couple of hours, rinse, then hang to dry. It really does work to remove the shine from synthetic hair. Now I have never tried this w/human hair but then it usually doesn't have that shine to it.

Hi

Thanks

Omg i used to always wear the half wig u attached with the girl wearing the light blue shirt! i remember i wore it for like 1-2 yrs with no regrets. everyone either thought it was my real hair or thought it was a nice weave. the trick for me was to not leave my hair out in the front cuz it is less hassle than trying to constantly blend. i attached it like 2 in away from my hairline and put a cloth headband over the beginning of it. what made it look real was that my edges would show then it would be a headband then beautiful hair. there are always going to be haters with any hairstyle but i didnt get many cuz as long as the wig isnt too old the hairstyle will always look fresh! HTH :grin:

That looks really cute on you! How do you style the front of your hair wearing that half-wig? It looks like you have it clipped up off your face.

Thanks Determined!

That day I made a bang, flat ironed it, and then pulled the bang over the demarcation line. The hair under the wig was braided going back into a french braid. I usually don't bother with heat, and just gel my hair back and slap a head band on.

I will PM you a picture so that you can see more in detail an aerial view when I get back to my house, right now I'm on my work laptop:nono:.

I have a few pics of half wigs in my fotki (p/w in profile).

One thing that helps me is to flip my hair over and run my fingers through it to blend it. when i flip upright, it's usually pretty natural looking.

Ateya does a pretty good tutorial on half-wigs, but uses a bit too much heat for my taste...kind defeats the purpose of a half wig as a protective style IMO. I usually roll the bang part the night before or perhaps use a hot roller or two in the AM if I decide at the last minute to wear a half wig.

one tip I've learned is to not part my hair from ear to ear. Most of mine fall forward enough to cover up the side lines of demarcation.so I usually part from the edge of one eyebrow to the other.

It was bit too hot for me to wear them like I wanted to this summer, but I'm actually excited to start again in the fall and winter.

Thanks Determined!

That day I made a bang, flat ironed it, and then pulled the bang over the demarcation line. The hair under the wig was braided going back into a french braid. I usually don't bother with heat, and just gel my hair back and slap a head band on.

I will PM you a picture so that you can see more in detail an aerial view when I get back to my house, right now I'm on my work laptop:nono:.

Thanks, I'd love to see it.

Yall gon make me take a trip the BSS this weekend!

Oh, and for the vinegar soaking, how much vinegar to water? 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water?

Thanks, I'd love to see it.

Yall gon make me take a trip the BSS this weekend!

Oh, and for the vinegar soaking, how much vinegar to water? 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water?

I usually fill up the sink (I guess you could use a basin or something) and add about 1-2 cap fulls of vinegar. I don't know how much that would be, maybe someone else actually measures it out.

Hi!

sensationnel.jpg

Looks so nice in your pic!

I am trying the vinegar test. I am using normal household white vinegar hope this okay, after this I will soak in Shampoo, fingers crossed!

Hi!

Thanks for this tip! I was afraid I would *** it up, but Iwent for it and now it looks sooo much more natural :) I also combed out the curls some. At one point, I think combed it out too much, but I put a little foam wrap lotion, scrunched a bit ,and now its all good. It really looks and feels like my own hair now :yep:

ETA:SelfStyled I consider you the half wig queen! :notworthy

Last edited:
Thanks for this tip! I was afraid I would *** it up, but Iwent for it and now it looks sooo much more natural :) I also combed out the curls some. At one point, I think combed it out too much, but I put a little foam wrap lotion, scrunched a bit ,and now its all good. It really looks and feels like my own hair now :yep:

ETA:SelfStyled I consider you the half wig queen! :notworthy
:blush::lachen:- I am so glad that my lil tips helped you out. Your half wig looks GREAT on you chica.

Back