How do you moisturize your hair?

daviine

I was wondering if people could list what they do to moisturize their hair under this thread. I've noticed that some people use a single prouct along with water, while others use a combination of products. And then among the combination product people, there seem to be some who mix the products at once and then apply to their hair while some people apply in steps...for example product 1, then apply oil, or whatever.

If this thread has been done already please forgive me and direct me to the proper thread. Thanks...

daviine

keylargo

I'm still trying to figure this out myself. For now, my hair is best moisturized when I'm wearing the ponytail/baggie method. For the past week I've been using Carefree Curl Gold activator with Elasta QP Oil moisturizer to seal in the moisture. I also use Worlds Of Curls activator as a gel to smooth my hair into my ponytail protective style.

I can't figure out how to moisturize my hair when I'm wearing my hair loose but, that's okay. I'm trying to wear protective styles most of the times anyways.

PrettyBrownEyes

I wear my hair down about 98% of the time. I use whatever Moisturizer I'm using at the moment, my current one is Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer.

Well, what I do is squeeze some into my hand, rub my hands together and starting at my ends, I take handfuls of my hair and spread the product on my ends and all over, my hair, lifting up sections of hair to make sure the product is spread evenly, and rubbing along the nape of my neck and edges all over.

I do this in the morning and then I just comb it through once.

daviine

Keylargo--are you saying that you apply in two steps or that you mix the two together THEN apply?

Sorry--just want to be sure.

EXSQUISIT

lately i have been doing braid outs (with plaits tho cuz i cant braid) but i just spritz it with a distilled water/evoo mix or my leave in i made with smooth and sleek and distilled water and evoo and then replait and add healthy ends to the end of each plait.

lunalight7

After I wash, I add Razac Leave-in, then Profective 3 Phase Oil, then a serum like Loreal's Smooth Intense or Keracare Silken Seal. Then I airdry in a ponytail w/ a roller at the end; or I rollerset. Daily, I apply Razac to the ends and then seal w/ Hot Six, Keracare Essential Oils, or monoi oil. Right now Im airdrying 50% in a ponytail, then Im gonna make 3 braids for a braidout.

lunalight7

I forgot to add that if Im gonna wear a phonypony bun, I just mist my ends at nite w/ distilled water, then add an oil to the ends. Same thing if Im re-doing a braid out.

inthepink

On a wash day, I moisturize with a leave-in conditioner, healthy hair butter, and then some kind of oil on my ends.
On a daily basis, I moisturize with a leave-in mix, and some kind of oil on my ends.

katie

On a daily basis I use jojoba oil.I have just started using the baggie technique with very good results at night.I also like Profectiv Break free and Root health at night.

Allandra

My hair mainly gets moisturized with leave-in conditioners. I also use Kiehl's Crème with Silk Groom and Worlds of Curls Gel Activator. I also mix some stuff (distilled water and some type of conditioner - mainly Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse) in a spray bottle for moisturizing my hair.

keylargo

[ QUOTE ]
daviine said:
Keylargo--are you saying that you apply in two steps or that you mix the two together THEN apply?

Sorry--just want to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two separate steps. Carefree Curl first, then Elasta QP oil moisturizer. Worlds of curls next and then a little more Elasta QP to seal in the moisture. Although, mixing the two together is an interesting thought

missykeyana

Hop out the shower and wrap hair with a towel to soak up some of the moisture. Remove towel and apply moisturizer (right now it's Elasta QP Mango Butter or Bronner Brothers Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil and Aloe) from roots to tips, distributing with my fingers.

Victorian

old head
Dude, this is like one of my favorite topics. I love talking aobut moisturizers, especially when I read something someone else is using and I put it on my list of potentials

So I think I've typed the name "BreakFree" at least 30 times in the last month or so, but I'll say it again cuz I love this stuff. I'm almost out of it which is why I bought the Beyond the Zone Split Mender, but after using this new product for a while I realized that it isn't really a good "replacement" for BreakFree because the ingredients are so different.

So yeah, I use BreakFree for just about every moisturizing situation--after I wash, regular upkeep, serious end treatment. I usually apply it first, then I seal it in with Hot Six Oil (something else I love). The oil makes my hair shiny
My hair doesn't really shine on its own, even when it's clean and relatively healthy, so I like using the oil for that (I also like Smooth and Shine Conditioning gel but I don't use it as much cuz it builds up fast).

On my most recent wash, I mixed the Break Free and the Split Mender together in my hand before applying. It turned out well but I think I like it better separate so the SM can really "seal." So I still need to either get more BF or try something new. I might try the MegaGrowth this time. I'm gonna get one of those bigger tubs they have at Sally's so I don't run out so fast.

Oh, one more thing (dag this is getting long--over some moisturizer
). I also have Profectiv's Healthy Ends. I don't use it nearly as much as the BF, mainly because it's so thick and a bit harder to apply. It's also heavier. But the other day I tried adding a couple drops of H6O (how ya like that little abbreviation?
) to it in my hand so I could thin it out a little. It seems like something that will be really good if I'm having serious issues with dry/frizzy ends.

Okay, really, I'm done now.

soulchild

Your Sally's has bigger tubs?? I've never seen them. Lucky..

BC, you're making me want to go out and get some break free. Also , if you think the Healthy Ends is thick, then you'll probably think the MegaGrowth is super thick. That's kind of why I like it though.

Usually the way I moisturize is: damp hair (water or water/conditioner mix), then follow up with an oil or butter type product.

Ayeshia

after my hair is washed and it air drys, i apply a small amount of B&B oil moisturizer throughout my hair. Then while my hair is fluffy (afro fluffy) and a little damp i braid four large corn rows (my hair is extremely thick) and spray infusium 23 on them and then i spray lusters pink oil glosser as a light oil. Then i put on a silk scarf and leave it on until i have to go sumwear....it really gets moisturized when i just wear my scarf in the shower the scarf locks in the steam and straigtens my new growth out really good...so well it looks like i have a retouch

I moisturize with Palmers Success Oil. It's light and has all the ingredients my hair needs like jojoba, safflower oil, vitamin E, and coconut oil.

brwnskingirl

I love elasta qp recovery....it leaves my hair soft and smelling good(thanks adrianne for the recommendation) I only use this on wet hair...so i put this all over my hair and then i spritz with care free curl moisturizer. since i am now wearing a bun and drawstring ponytail for the next six months or so...at night i wet my ends down with water and put some Giovanni's direct leave in and tea tree oil light hair dressing on the ends.

karezone

After I rinse out my moisturizing conditioner and before I style wet hair, I apply Africa's Best Herbal Oil with Ginseng, humectress mixed with water and some anti-frizz serum. After my set has dried, I apply some Profective Mega Growth to the very ends, and some Smooth and Shine styling mousse to my hair and then I wrap with pins, put on my scarf and go to bed.

soslychic

My regime hasn't been steady, so I'll give you my PLANNED regime.

After washing, spray on Biolage Leave In tonic. Comb through.
Apply homemade moisturizer (mix 1/2 part distilled water with 1/2 part vegetable glycerine, add jojoba oil, and aloe vera gel)

I always do this at night. In the morning, I spray my hair with some lavendar spray (distilled water mixed with a few drops of lavendar oil) until my hair is damp and apply my styling products.
This is when I wash daily. In winter, sometimes I don't wash daily and I rollerset or flat iron. In that case, I have the same regime, I just oil my ends daily. (My set last for 3 days) and the rest of my hair just stays moisturized for those 3 days.

I apoligize for just about giving you my entire regime. I got a little carried away.

GinuwinesBoo

lekair cholestoral
t tree leave in conditioner
ors shea butter
parnevu leave in creme
olive oil or shea butter spray

when i wear my hair curly i have a water bottle with lottabody setting lotion, vo5 strawberries and cream, and olive oil.

hotshot

is breakfree a protein moisturizer? im looking for something other than ORS carrot oil- something protein free.

Victorian

old head
[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
Your Sally's has bigger tubs?? I've never seen them. Lucky..

BC, you're making me want to go out and get some break free. Also , if you think the Healthy Ends is thick, then you'll probably think the MegaGrowth is super thick. That's kind of why I like it though.

Usually the way I moisturize is: damp hair (water or water/conditioner mix), then follow up with an oil or butter type product.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's the normal size (4.25oz) for all the products in tubs, and then they usually have MegaGrowth and BreakFree in bigger tubs (I guess those are the most popular ones), but I can't remember how many ounces..mabye 6 or 8.
Go on and get u some, girl

Hmmm the MegaGrowth is thicker? I might stick with the BF then and just use the HE when I need something with more oomph.

And here are the ingredients for BF:

Water & Horestail Extract & Sage Extract & Nettle Extract, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-37 & Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate & PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Soybean oil, Glycerin, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Acrylamidopropyletrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copolymer, Lanolin Oil, PEG 40, Collagen, Keratin, Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Cinnamidopropyl Trimethyl Ammmodium Chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Corn Oil & BHA & BHT, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Fragrance, D&C Red #33, D&C Yellow #6

Whew! I'm sure I spelled something wrong in there, but you get the idea