How do you moisturize your hair?

buffalosoldier

I just discovered pure coconut oil. I got some that smells of vanilla. Anyway I put it on my hair damp or dry and it really works great. Some other oils just sit on my hair but not this my hair seems to actually absorb it.
I was so happy with the results I immediately threw away my 'miracle oil moisturiser.' I have tried practically every moisturiser going and wont ever buy another one. for me the coconut oil works the best and is natural. (It is nice for the body too.)

hair 3c

greenidlady1

I use my homemade moisture spray containing Aussie Hair Insurance or Infusium leave-in, distilled water, glycerin and Aura Cacia Lavender Rain Aromatheraphy Body Spray (purified water with lavender, palmarosa and geranuim oils and smells wonderful!). Speaking of which, I need to make another batch...

I use coconut, African Wonder or whatever oil is closest to seal. After that I use a baggie at night to hold in the moisture or a scrunchie in the morning if I'm going with a bun.

Take care-
G

adrienne0914

on wash day, i use the following products and steps before doing the baggie/phonytail:

• towel dry and comb
• apply monoi oil lightly on my ends (sometimes)
• apply Elasta QP Recovery all over and air dry a little
• apply World of Curls/Fantasia IC gel mix all over
• comb hair into a ponytail and put in the bolita

• put a little more of the gel mix on the loose hair
• put a glob of Vaseline on ends and braid tightly

shelli4018

In the evenings I've been using UBH creme moisturizer after my daily rinse. Then mixing a little alcohol free gel with Elasta's Mango Butter for my edges. The next day I add a little more of the mixture to my edges and a slightly heavier moisturizer on the rest of my hair (like Pantene). I like my hair to be soft and shiny but NOT greasy. Like this:

web page

kix

Hello everyone -

It's been awhile since my last post.

My moisturizing technique is now very simple.

First, I conditioner wash with Suave Moisturizing Conditioner.

Second, I let air dry in two ponytails using scrunchies, tied together with a third scrunchie.

Next, I undo scrunchies and spray with distilled water, then re-apply scrunchies.

Then I place a stocking cap over hair, tie up with silk/silk-like scarf.

When scarves and stocking cap are removed, my hair is unbelievably smooth and well moisturized.

I finally found a technique that works for me.

Good to you all.

JazzAngel

S-curl activator gel or carefree curl activator then to seal in the moisture 911 leave in conditioner.

In the middle of the week if I dont have time to wash I spray a mix of glycerin, water and 911 leave in.

My natural hair has never been better than than this since finding this simple method. Also, my hair has stopped breaking completly.

andrea

OK!! I have a question. I have never thought of drying my hair in any other way but with a blow dryer.. I use Oprah's Andre's tips when I blow dry it works really well for me but I am sure that's part of where my dryness comes but my question is?

Doesn't your hair get frizzy when you let it air dry? and
If you are doing all this(baggies, conditioner washes)in the middle of the week , How do you wear your hair to work or out?

Pardon my naiveness if this seems like a dumb question.

Andrea

adrienne0914

andrea, i wear my hair in a bun with a drawstring ponytail 90% of the time. i only wash once a week. after combing and putting it in the bun, i don't comb it again until right before i wash again. since it's up and protected, my ends don't get frizzy.

Carolyn Gray has a method of drying the hair in a ponytail with no heat. when you take the ponytail down, your hair is straight. i've seen step-by-step instructions, but i've never tried this method. you can try doing a search on her to see if it has been outlined here.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
After shampooing or rinsing with conditioner, I apply a small amount of regular hair conditioner (MotownGrl's Leave-In recipe, Lafier Honey Almond Rinse and Elucence MB are my faves) and then apply Proclaim or Worlds of Curls Activator Gel. I put my hair into a ponytail and apply Palmer's Coconut Oil hair grease to the ponytail length. I put my hair in a bun, cover it with a fake puff and I'm done.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
ShirleyD said:
Where did you find the pure coconut oil and what is the product's name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try a health food store or an Indian or Asian grocery store. Most health food stores sell the Spectrum brand. It's refined, but the only difference I've noticed between refined and unrefined coconut oil is the smell and the price. I've read more than one report about people's hair getting dry from using refined oil, but that never happened to me. But I use the unrefined just in case... I got my unrefined oil from Tropical Traditions

Nature's Wild Child sells something called Virgin de Coco that is very nice, too.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
babyblue113 said:
where can i find a fake puff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from the bss. It's by Troika International and it's called "Kozy". Wowwigs.com sells it, too. They call it "Cozy".

BlkHoneyLuv2U

For a daily moisturizer, I use Infusium 23 leave in and world of curls instant moisturizer. I first spray the Infusium followed by the world of curls moisturizer, massage in really good, comb through , then put in a pony tail.

brwnskingirl

yeah andrea,

adrienne has been really helpful. because of her and her results I have started using the ponytail,baggie and drawstring method. I can't see any resuls yet because its just been three weeks since i started my challenge. its very easier than i thought. I think Ive gotten more compliments with my hair like this than when I was wearing it out.I really havent gotten tired of it yet. I cant wait to see the results. air drying in a ponytail is easy, i just slick my hair back braid the ends tightly and then but a baggie over it and then the drawstring ponytail over it. I actually cut my fake pony down and I wear my hair slic back so it doesnt look as phony as when u wear it up.

AngieK

<font color="brown">I usually moisturize my hair at night. I apply a moderate amount of Redken Climatress Moist Ends (a leave-in product) to the last 2-3 inches of my hair. Then I apply my oil moisturizer over it. Once I am finished, I wrap, braid, etc., and cover it with my sleep cap. When I wake in the morning, my hair is adequately moisturized. I do this maybe every other night (or as needed).

By the way, the Redken Climatress Moist Ends product has been discontinued
. I plan to call Redken to find out if the product has been repackaged/renamed under one of the newer product lines.

AngieK </font>

andrea

Brwnskingirl

I am glad the ponytail is working for you... I think the ponytail might be an option for me... I am going to try the braid out first. My problem is the dryness and the heat.. So, any thing without those things will be a welcome change for me.

Take Care

Spagirl

I do it both ways. It just depends on the products I'm using, what my hair need is at a given time/season or the type of style I'm wearing.

Presently I'm lovin Bumble and bumble leave-in along with Katawentz braid oil (Jojoba, olive, sesame, castor oils). I use this after I finish my wash routine and as needed between washes.

This has worked wonderfully for me since I'm on the bun challenge. One of my daughters (8 yrs old) stated: "This is the only thing that gets my hair soft again."

sterry

I use a few drops of emu oui, castor oil, jojoba oil and about 1/2 teaspoon of Regis Hydrating balm
Add to 8 0z of warm water in a spray bottle.
I really saturate ends of my hair.

phynestone

After I wash, I apply Infusium 23 leave-in and comb my hair. Then I apply a mixture of Kemi Oyl and Hot Six Oil (I can't apply the Hot Six Oil by itself b/c the smell knocks me out) and braid my hair in 6-8 plaits. I take it down in the morning and pick it out. This is working for me so far, but I don't know what I'm going to do when the summer comes.

divacurl

i mix avocado+castor oil, i put it on my hair every other night before going to bed. I think castor oil is the best oil for retaining moisture, it sucks up the moisture in the air.

LiqueXX

I am currently using ORS Olive Oil lotion and then sealing with Kemi Oyl. I think that I might try using Giovanni Direct Leave-In with distilled water on a daily basis and then sealing it with Kemi.
I too am using the phonytail/baggie method. I love it to death!! It is so easy to do. I simply wash and condition my hair as usual, put on some leave-in and my moisturizers...then phonytail it. I really don't use any gel, I simply smooth down my hair daily with my moisturizers.

valenciab

I use Dudley's PCA and UBH's Hair Lotion. The hair lotion is light and does not contain protein so my hair does not get hard. Since I wear rollersets, I can mantain my bounce and body with these products.