How do you self trim?

Fine 4s

My hair care habits have either plummeted or I'm at term length.
I learned that once I past BSL, I should have trimmed consistently and I don't mean baby trims!

In any case I went to get my hair straighten and of course the stylist wanted to give me a trim. Nope didn't do it. The young assistant who blowdried my hair tugged and ripped my hair out and was VERY frustrated. I had to show her the tension technique, which she loved. Also because she did not blow dry it well and all the way down, the ends were naturally more tangled and kinky while the roots and shaft were straight! Of course the stylist assumed my ends are so frayed that you need to cut 4-5 inches! Anyway...

However, I have been meaning to trim and I haven't found anyone to do it as I would want it. My last trim was in May. My regular stylist doesn't cut enough and I'm sure this last one would cut too much. How do you do it? What's your technique? I don't need it to be super even as I don't wear my hair out often.

Any tips would be appreciated, I want to do it today after I flat iron (the work already done) to get a good look at my ends. Let's pray for no heat damage. I'm already getting myself ready for it though. I used the marcel in June and now again in August :( Most likely again in November for another trim...