How does one grow Natural Hair this long?

camellia

Wow! I LOVE that second picture. She has some amazing thick, long and pretty hair. It looks really soft too, like a cloud.

bLackButtaFly

mscocoface said:
It definitely gives us naturals something to strive for. My cousin has hair length like this natural and all over the place.

She is one of the reasons I decided to go natural. Her texture is more 4A mine is more 4B but darn if I am not going to give it my all and see what happens.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

As my Mom always says.....Nothing beats a failure but a try! I am going to give it everything I have to see if it is possible to achieve.

Keep hope alive ladies!! Wouldn't it be a wonderful testimony in 2-3 years to see how many of use have obtained this goal? We can check in yearly to post pics of our progress.

Let's mark the date April 9, 2009 or 2010 let's see who has made it or gotten close to this type of length. Not a fan of the blow dryer at all but maybe banding or using the cool setting will allow us to show the true length.

Is anyone game! :grin:

OH YEAH! Count me in! That'll be so hot if there's like agroup of us that achieve this!!:)

imstush

seeminglysweet said:
My hair looked exactly like this as a child. When I was 8 I was trying to get all that into 1 klunker ball ponytail holder and it wouldn't fit so I cut out a huge chunk just so I could rock a ponytail.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I can't believe you cut out a chunk!!!!!!!!!

My mom got those ponytail holders in with no prob. And my hair was THICK!!!!!!!!!!! I have to scan some pics of me when I was a kid.

Poohbear said:
Dynamic1, your hair is beautiful! I love that big bun in your avatar!

Isn't!!!!!!!!!! I was like is that a bun!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it Dynamic

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
spiceykitten said:
Wow! Thanks for sharing these pictures! I think the lady and her hair are beautiful. I really appreciate these photos.

I also think it is great that Mermaid cleared up that mixed race can have numerous hair types.

I think there is no such thing as mixed race hair. Bi-racial and multi-racial hair types can range from a 1 to a 4. Just as a person that is not mixed race can have any hair type: for example Bublinbrnsuga. In addition, African hair can be multitude of hair types; Carmela is an excellent example.

As women of color we all have unique hair types, skin colors etc and that is why we are so beautiful as a people.

Again, thanks for the photo. I am not sure if I will wearing a huge fro like that but it is nice to see the beauty of natural hair.
I totally agree with all of this. In my opinion there is no mixed race type hair. Hair texture is just that....hair texture, anyone can have it no matter what race.

This lady has pretty and long hair but I'm not really feeling the style either.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Pokahontas said:
I totally agree with all of this. In my opinion there is no mixed race type hair. Hair texture is just that....hair texture, anyone can have it no matter what race.
I agree with you and spiceykitten as well! :)

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair is longer than that. Especially if I brush it out like that. :D

It just takes patience and a verrrry low key regimen. No brushing, no heat appliances, no chemicals, no wearing the hair out every day etc etc.
Simplicity is the answer.

ETA: My hair can look just like that if I brush it after it has dried. So it's not only 4a hair that can look like that. Black hair is very versatile :)

seeminglysweet

DivaStyle said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh No!

You were supposed to put the pony tail in a ponytail holder (it's like a covered rubber band) and then put the balls or the bow on. It works like a charm! AND why were you doing your own hair at 8?

Girl, at 8 I was cooking, cleaning, doing laundry and styling my hair. I didn't wash it myself or relax it but I would change my hairstyles for school, grease my scalp and brush it everynight.

That thick bush was too much for my mom to handle and it was a workout for my sister to wash and blowdry it.

spiceykitten

Poko.., Poohbear and Flowerhair:

Thanks for the agreement with my post and Flowerhair my hair looks like that after a blowdry but not as dry looking. My hair is a lot shinier, so I am right along with you! LOL

Again, I think this is a great thread to encourage other naturals.

GoldenBreeze

Poohbear said:

Xay, I too have been a bit fustrated with my hair growth/length. It's in that "inbetween stage"...when I stretch it, it's between my shoulder blades and 1-2 inches from fully armpit length.

I wonder how these ladies grow their hair so long...Chicoro, Maestradiva, Nay, Bublnbrnsuga, unlvgirl, Peachtree, Catheadface, brneyedgrl, Ms Lala, and many others have all grown their hair out in DIFFERENT ways! I wish I could figure out what method/style/regimen would be best for me to grow my hair out.

But then I think about these ladies' hair journeys, and realize the key is patience. It took these ladies over 2-3 years to grow their hair that long. I haven't even reach 2 years (it'll be 2 years next month). Plus, I started my natural journey with a close shave so I'm pretty happy with my current progress... I just wish I can leave my hair alone for a change.

Mscocoface, it's nice to see ya over here at LHCF. I cannot wait to see how my hair has progress 1-2 years from now. Maybe we can PM each other about our progress over here instead of NP since LHCF provides more space for PM's! :)

ETA: And how in the world do some of you ladies (DivaStyle, dynamic1, MsLala, and more) blowdry and flat iron from the plaits or rollersets you do to stretch your hair??? Even when I unravel airdried plaits or twists or take out rollers, my hair is not stretched enough to even attempt blowdrying or flat-ironing so I avoid heat at all costs. There are still coils/springs within the stretched out hair.

Poo, be incouraged girl. Chicoro grew her hair out in about 2 years, but she was at BSL when she started with lhcf. I don't think there are any real big secrets, it's just a matter of PROPER haircare and the passage of time. We just have to have patience, and be consistent with our regimens.

ETA: Your hair has grown amazingly since your BC. :)

Last edited:

spiceykitten

Poohbear:

I agree with Goldenbreeze. Your hair will grow longer with time and patience. You may even get a growth spurt during your journey and be there in no time.

There is no special regimen but low manipulation etc..all the things Flowerhair said. However, each person is different and you must do what works for you.

I should tell you that when I decided not to relax about five years ago, my hair was taken down like a boy. I looked like your close shave. It was a shock but my hair grew past my shoulders in a year. It may have been longer but iI kept cutting, trimming and manipulating the heck out of it. My hair grows fast but there is even a rough patch for us fast growers. After I reached bra strap my hair went through a slow patch and I started to regret cutting off my long locs but now it has picked up again. I was really scared last year because after living in Europe for a bit my hair was jacked up from the hard water and all the crazy crap I did to it: flat ironing (now I know how to flat iron), horrible brushes. UGH..too painful to rememeber!!

I had to cut off quite a bit but now my hair is thriving again. I am back to my length and a lot more. I did it with a good hair cut, prayer and all the rules Flowerhair gave.

Have patience because you will be there in no time and I think your hair is so nice now. You know I go peak at your album often. I think your hair is Fab!

Dee Raven

mscocoface said:
It definitely gives us naturals something to strive for. My cousin has hair length like this natural and all over the place.

She is one of the reasons I decided to go natural. Her texture is more 4A mine is more 4B but darn if I am not going to give it my all and see what happens.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

As my Mom always says.....Nothing beats a failure but a try! I am going to give it everything I have to see if it is possible to achieve.

Keep hope alive ladies!! Wouldn't it be a wonderful testimony in 2-3 years to see how many of use have obtained this goal? We can check in yearly to post pics of our progress.

Let's mark the date April 9, 2009 or 2010 let's see who has made it or gotten close to this type of length. Not a fan of the blow dryer at all but maybe banding or using the cool setting will allow us to show the true length.

Is anyone game! :grin:

I definitely want to join. It will be so fun. Long but fun.:p

mscocoface

Poohbear said:

Xay, I too have been a bit fustrated with my hair growth/length. It's in that "inbetween stage"...when I stretch it, it's between my shoulder blades and 1-2 inches from fully armpit length.

I wonder how these ladies grow their hair so long...Chicoro, Maestradiva, Nay, Bublnbrnsuga, unlvgirl, Peachtree, Catheadface, brneyedgrl, Ms Lala, and many others have all grown their hair out in DIFFERENT ways! I wish I could figure out what method/style/regimen would be best for me to grow my hair out.

But then I think about these ladies' hair journeys, and realize the key is patience. It took these ladies over 2-3 years to grow their hair that long. I haven't even reach 2 years (it'll be 2 years next month). Plus, I started my natural journey with a close shave so I'm pretty happy with my current progress... I just wish I can leave my hair alone for a change.

Mscocoface, it's nice to see ya over here at LHCF. I cannot wait to see how my hair has progress 1-2 years from now. Maybe we can PM each other about our progress over here instead of NP since LHCF provides more space for PM's! :)

ETA: And how in the world do some of you ladies (DivaStyle, dynamic1, MsLala, and more) blowdry and flat iron from the plaits or rollersets you do to stretch your hair??? Even when I unravel airdried plaits or twists or take out rollers, my hair is not stretched enough to even attempt blowdrying or flat-ironing so I avoid heat at all costs. There are still coils/springs within the stretched out hair.

I thought that was you!!!!!!!!! I would love to do updates with you here. You are right, it is a lot more space to talk and discuss. We have missed our top of the month review for April.

Poohbear

GoldenBreeze said:
Poo, be incouraged girl. Chicoro grew her hair out in about 2 years, but she was at BSL when she started with lhcf. I don't think there are any real big secrets, it's just a matter of PROPER haircare and the passage of time. We just have to have patience, and be consistent with our regimens.

ETA: Your hair has grown amazingly since your BC. :)
Well, it actually took Chicoro longer than 2 years to grow her hair to waist length. She had shoulder length natural hair in 2000/2001. I've PM'ed with Chicoro back and forth on several occassions and she has told me that moisture is key and that the baggy method has helped her tremendously. At my hair length, I can't do the baggy method unless I put a plastic cap over all my hair and I really don't like to do that. Plus, my hair has more shrinkage than hers.

I'm not really looking for any secrets or anything...that's why I mentioned patience is key and that I want to find the best routine for my hair where I can stay consistent and have little to no manipulation like these ladies have. ;) And manipulation is so difficult to avoid with hair like mine which is at an in-between length and my hair is extremely coily and shrinky.

And thank you for your comment and encouragement. :)

CurleeDST

HERE HERE!!!!! I was doing all of that at age 8 as well!

seeminglysweet said:
Girl, at 8 I was cooking, cleaning, doing laundry and styling my hair. I didn't wash it myself or relax it but I would change my hairstyles for school, grease my scalp and brush it everynight.

That thick bush was too much for my mom to handle and it was a workout for my sister to wash and blowdry it.

GoldenBreeze

Poohbear said:
Well, it actually took Chicoro longer than 2 years to grow her hair to waist length. She had shoulder length natural hair in 2000/2001. I've PM'ed with Chicoro back and forth on several occassions and she has told me that moisture is key and that the baggy method has helped her tremendously. At my hair length, I can't do the baggy method unless I put a plastic cap over all my hair and I really don't like to do that. Plus, my hair has more shrinkage than hers.

I'm not really looking for any secrets or anything...that's why I mentioned patience is key and that I want to find the best routine for my hair where I can stay consistent and have little to no manipulation like these ladies have. ;) And manipulation is so difficult to avoid with hair like mine which is at an in-between length and my hair is extremely coily and shrinky.

You're welcome.

LOL, I was only talking about the time it took her to get from BSL to Waist from 2003 to 2005 after joining lhcf. She has certainly been a great help to me. Her baggy method has worked very well for her hair, and I have modified it for my own use. I hope it works as well for me.;)

It really seems like you have a good handle on caring for your hair. Thank goodness the in-between stage doesn't last long.:)

dynamic1

Poohbear said:

Thank you Poobear!:)

You have made great progress already and didn't you have to chop twice?

I don't straighten often, just 3-4 x per year. And it doesn't come without perils, believe me. If you have knots and run heat over it, it's no fun!:(
But what I have realized, is that the less products I put in my hair after I wash and detangle the better. Also, I break every silicone rule in the book! From Sometimes from shampoo to finish!:lol: But it makes it easier.
I also detangle in very, very small sections with a great deal of patience.

I do not think I'll be trying it anymore and I will rollerset to stretch.

ETA: Thank You imstush!

Last edited:

ToyToy

I would like to join as well!!!
I BC-ed last year with less than an inch, but I actually don't like short hair very much. I am hoping to be APL by this time next year. I am at neck length at the moment (the back and sides of my hair touching my shoulder) when stretched.
I tried to upload a picture into my siggy, but I couldn't for some reason.

Poohbear

spiceykitten said:
Poohbear:

I agree with Goldenbreeze. Your hair will grow longer with time and patience. You may even get a growth spurt during your journey and be there in no time.

There is no special regimen but low manipulation etc..all the things Flowerhair said. However, each person is different and you must do what works for you.

I should tell you that when I decided not to relax about five years ago, my hair was taken down like a boy. I looked like your close shave. It was a shock but my hair grew past my shoulders in a year. It may have been longer but iI kept cutting, trimming and manipulating the heck out of it. My hair grows fast but there is even a rough patch for us fast growers. After I reached bra strap my hair went through a slow patch and I started to regret cutting off my long locs but now it has picked up again. I was really scared last year because after living in Europe for a bit my hair was jacked up from the hard water and all the crazy crap I did to it: flat ironing (now I know how to flat iron), horrible brushes. UGH..too painful to rememeber!!

I had to cut off quite a bit but now my hair is thriving again. I am back to my length and a lot more. I did it with a good hair cut, prayer and all the rules Flowerhair gave.

Have patience because you will be there in no time and I think your hair is so nice now. You know I go peak at your album often. I think your hair is Fab!
Yes, I agree. Flowerhair gives good advice. I too manipulated my hair a lot last year...and manipulation to me is too much dry combing. Now, I've been finger styling and only combing/detangling my hair when it's soaking wet in the shower. I've also been moisturizing my hair more often. Thanks for your comment!

natstar

Poohbear said:

Poohbear- you can do the baggie method. I seperate my hairin 3 sections (2 front and 1 back) and put on 3 baggies. It works well. Believe it or not, this also helps me combat some shrinkage.

Poohbear

natstar said:
Poohbear- you can do the baggie method. I seperate my hairin 3 sections (2 front and 1 back) and put on 3 baggies. It works well. Believe it or not, this also helps me combat some shrinkage.
Interesting...so how do you style your hair after taking off the baggies in the morning??? My hair doesn't look right when I wear it down parted in the middle with hair on both sides because the hair in the front and sides looks shorter than the hair in the back, and the hair right in front of my ears is longer than the top. My hair has a very awkward shape.

I think I'm going to try growing my hair out with twist-outs by moisturizing and putting my hair in 10 fat twists each night. ;)

natstar

Poohbear said:
Interesting...so how do you style your hair after taking off the baggies in the morning??? My hair doesn't look right when I wear it down parted in the middle with hair on both sides because the hair in the front and sides looks shorter than the hair in the back, and the hair right in front of my ears is longer than the top. My hair has a very awkward shape.

I think I'm going to try growing my hair out with twist-outs by moisturizing and putting my hair in 10 fat twists each night. ;)

I actually wear a side part (or a little off the middle) cause my face shape doesn't look good w/a middle part :perplexed . Anyway, when I baggie, I kee my side part and when I wash I do the same so it stays. You can always use a couple bobby pins as well.

One more thing, on wash days, to let my hair dry, I do fat twists as well which stetch my hair out for the week. I am then able to section and baggie. I can also bun my hair better.

tallnomad

Count me in for this challenge. My hair is about shoulder length. I'm actually getting it double strand twisted today and will do so every two weeks.

PinkSkates

Im a natural 4a type and my hair looks exactly like that after I have blow dried with a diffuser. Its at shoulder length at that point and after I press it straight it is at full bra strap length all over.

tallnomad

I went on her myspace page and noticed one of my friends is listed as a friend on her page. I was actually on the phone with my friend and asked her about the beautiful-haired woman.

My friend J. said that she knows Ishe (I think that's her name) and that she is a vegan. She said that her hair is really beautiful and she thinks that Ishe braids it up when she washes it. J. told me that she would ask her about her hair regimen. I also emailed her asking how she washes it etc. so hopefully we'll get an answer. J. said that Ishe has a daughter who is 5 and has the same thick long hair as her mother.