How exactly should I base my scalp?

Yarnie

Ladies, I'm thinking of switching from no-lye to lye. I have read that you're supposed to base the scalp before the relaxer because of the lye burns. The thing is I never did anything to my scalp so I don't know how it is supposed to be done. I'm thinking of using Vaseline. How should I apply it? I have very thick hair and I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out. How do I keep it out of the hair and on the scalp only? Is this done right before the relaxer or can it be done previously?

Does this basing really make a difference? I've been using no-lye for a long time, and although it's supposed to be gentler on the scalp, I've been burned most of the time, I have a very sensitive scalp. I am a bit afraid of changing because of it.

All the help is well appreciated... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tracy

Yarnie,

Hey girl! Here's how I base my scalp...

I part my hair into 4 sections and pin each one up. I take one of the sections down and using a color applicator bottle filled with a light oil I part the hair in diagonal parts within the section. I now use the Elucence base which comes with the applicator bottle - but it is bottle is key because it hass a small nozzle that allows you to part the hair and apply the base at the same time. Once I've done the whole section I go back through and part on the opposite diagonal in the same section. Then I pin it back up and move on to the next section. Once I've done all 4 in this manner, I take them all back down and using the pads of my fingers and lightly massage the scalp. I do this very gently, making sure my fingers are not actually touching my skin. Then I brush my hair back into a bun (again no brush on the scalp - I just want it gently pulled back until I get to the salon).

Basing the scalp is important when using a lye relaxer because a different chemical is used in lye relaxers that more easily irritates the scalp. The chemical used in no-lyes are specifically designed NOT to burn the scalp, but can cause problems with the hair that are difficult to surmount if you want longer, healthier hair. Basing the scalp, and proper application, can ensure that you get all the benefits of a lye relaxer without any of the drawbacks.