How honest are you with your friends about their hair?

naturalmanenyc

DH and I saw some ladies out with what appeared to be their friends. Not one of them told the friend that was looking a mess the truth about her hair.

Imagine you show up at a friends home to go out for the night. She comes out to the car with lime green hair (imagine a Nicki Minaj wig). Do you say anything...assuming you are not going to a Nicki Minaj concert or a Halloween event?

DH says he knew women like this from school who admitted to not telling their friend when she looked a mess. The reason he was told is that the friend was more attractive and able to pull more men. So the choice to let a friend walk around looking a mess was on purpose in hopes that men would avoid her due to her hair.

I recently saw a young woman trying on a wig that was not at all flattering. She asked my opinion and I told her the truth although the sales clerks (at least 3 of them) told her that the wig looked nice. She asked another customer who told her the truth as well. In the end I do not know if she purchased the wig but I did hear her ask for a different color.

So, my question is how honest are you with your friends (actual friends that you hang out with) about their hair?

Lucille

Girls fall into three categories;

1) The Frenemy

The girl who tells you, you look good no matter what. I mean even if you fell into a puddle of R Kelly's piss, she would be like ''Gurllll that new fragrance smells nice on you.'' But behind your back she's laughing. :look:

#When you figure out a friend is so insecure that she enjoys the moments you look bad, you needs to re-evaluate just how ''close'' you guys are.

2) The acquaintance

You say hi to each other, and ocassionaly go out to catch up but you've never been on the phone to each other hours on end. And you all know that's the one of the iniation processes before you can call someone a ''friend.'' So she doesn't feel obliged to ''correct'' your look. Or she's afraid your reaction be something like ''Gurl, have you looked in the mirror? For weeks I've been wondering why there is a dead racoon on your head, until I figured out that's your weave.''

3) Friend

A real friend knows you, and is not afraid of speaking the truth to you. When me or a friend look bad, we both say the same thing ''Girl, I'm your friend. So I will not let you go out like that because it'll be a poor reflection on me.'' :lol:

If someone in the group feels bad about her hair/ what she's wearing/or her makeup. We all gather round and giver her a makeover until she starts singing this song ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDeBcpLITQ

I have never understood ''friends'' who do not correct their friends wardrobe/look. As a friend it is your DUTY to make sure your friends look good, imo.

Last edited:

Spiffy

I'm fairly honest. I want everyone around me to feel and look their best, and I don't feel threatened by my friends or any other woman for male attention.

Although, I have experienced an incident where a friend was dishonest about my hair, which I found quite amusing.

BEAUTYU2U

What a weird reason not to say anything! I've held back so I won't hurt their feelings but with my bestie, we're equally hair obsessed so I can be totally honest.

PearlyCurly

Well For me ...

1) It depends on the friend. If the friend is extra sensitive then most likely i will be very gentle and hold back a lot. But i would still suggest another hair style or the best deep conditioner.

2) If the friend actually likes HAM hair styles. Ones hot mess is anothers hellz yes:yep:
If the friend likes over the top hair styles, then there would be no reason for me to say something no matter how much i hate it.

RENIBELL

i tend to lie to my friends when they try and do something with their own hair rather than just slap on a wig, this is usually to encourage them,l:look:.

i tend to ignore weaves never coment on them , dont know why :ohwell:
i guess i love anything that is real, natural or relaxed, tired of black women being known not to have anyhair :sad:.

i would never lie to someone just cause they were good looking and i felt intimidated :nono:. thats just Low, i couldnt care less. if i like it i say it, if i dont, i say nothing.

Last edited:

Kn0ttyByNatur3

I am super soft when it comes to my friends. Even if we both know her hair is a HAM, I try to be optimistic about it.:lol:

I don't like getting people down. :(

Aireen

Hair is not that serious for me in real life. I hardly notice my friends' hair unless they point it out. I'm known for being blunt though so believe me if I do notice something I'll comment or if they ask, I'll give an honest answer. If their hair looks ridiculous and they don't pay me any mind after mentioning something, I assume they're happy with it and I'm forced to just be happy they're happy.

(Edited because my last sentence didn't make sense.)

Last edited:

lesedi

All is well with me
It depends. Some of my friends have completely different taste than me. I don't have to like their hair if they love it. But if they step to me and ask advice, then i'm happy to share. I refuse to give advice to the people who say i 'do too much' to my hair when all i do is wash, condition and moisturise it and in the next breath they are going on about how healthy my hair is looking... They are not ready.

lilyofthenile

If they asked my opinion on their hair, I will be honest. But I won't just put it out there just because I wouldn't wear my wig that way, or wear a wig like that etc.

Mis007

DH and I saw some ladies out with what appeared to be their friends. Not one of them told the friend that was looking a mess the truth about her hair.

Imagine you show up at a friends home to go out for the night. She comes out to the car with lime green hair (imagine a Nicki Minaj wig). Do you say anything...assuming you are not going to a Nicki Minaj concert or a Halloween event?

DH says he knew women like this from school who admitted to not telling their friend when she looked a mess. The reason he was told is that the friend was more attractive and able to pull more men. So the choice to let a friend walk around looking a mess was on purpose in hopes that men would avoid her due to her hair.

So, my question is how honest are you with your friends (actual friends that you hang out with) about their hair?

That doesn't work, men would approach you regardless, I have often had to run to the shops not looking my best (night headscarf on) and still get attention. I am very honest with my friends about their hair, but they're not with me :lol: if my hair is looking rough they hand me a rubber band, I put it in a ponytail and life keeps going on :lol:.

melisandre

If my friend is trying a new look, then I will gently give my honest opinion. However, if she consistently looks a mess. Then, I don't say anything. I figure, She must know by now how she looks. That must be the look she's going for. Some people are just ratched. Lol.

frizzy

I am honest, but it depends on the situation. ex. I had a friend that had yarn braids in, they didn't look bad and were neat, but they just didn't suit her, so I told her. She liked them for the ease of being twisted up, but I couldn't sit there and tell her how good they look when they don't look good on her. She never got them Raggedy Ann yarn braids put in again.

But now if I had met up with a friend at a public place, I wouldn't tell them how bad their hair looked 'cause it too late, we're already out.