How I got 2 inches of growth in one month...

what did the avocado do for your hair. In another post someone said that it broke their hair.

Brwnshugah, welcome to the board. There are many thread where you can learn alot. I would suggest that you read all that you can find from all the old threads and the new ones to. The girls in here are very helpful and you will learn alot.

You know how we get advice and store it in different parts of our brains for later use?

Well, everything most of us have ever learned points to intaking greater amounts of protein. Hair is made of it and why wouldn't it "fill in the [damaged} blanks".

Thanks for that Teva cause I'm super sick of taking vitamin supplements. No, I do not eat right though I eat better than I used to, but supplements are not the answer for someone like me.

Though, I do love the MSM cause I truly believe it "softened" my new growth, but I can't be bothered with the countless horse pills.

I've been seriously slacking and I believe because of your testimony, I will switch over to just a protein supplement and high protein foods and report how that goes for me.

Thanks again, and happy growing!.
AZjeepgurl

[ QUOTE ]
Brwnshugah said:
Hi all--I'm a newbie. I came over from NC.com, and we who relax/blowdry/iron our hair are not well received there! I feel like I have found a new place to hang out. I have nothing against curly hair, but my hair is not at the point where it can be worn curly/natural. I LOVE what this site is about because my hair has not grown appreciably since I was 11--26 years ago.

I relax my hair quite often--every 3 weeks--and blowdry and flat iron every day--I have to. I also have baby fine 3C hair. So, as you can imagine, I have mad breakage. Can someone help me get started on trying to grow my hair longer and more even (besides stopping the daily relaxing/blowdrying/flat ironing)? It is about shoulder length right now, but is 2 million different lengths due to breakage. I can't use anything with oil--not even a drop--or cones in it, as these products cause my hair to be limp, dull, and sticky.

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome aboard, Brwnshugah.

You relax HOW often? Did you say every three weeks? Please explain why. As for the breakage and different lengths of hair you have, that could be the problem (along with the flat ironing).

We're here for you. By the time we finish with you you'll be relaxing every 3 months and flat ironing only for special occasions. I hope you can find different ways to stretch your relaxer and wear protective styles like so many people here have.

Tebby

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
what did the avocado do for your hair. In another post someone said that it broke their hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teva,

I don't know if we are thinking of the same post - but the one I'm thinking of the person stated that the "bumby" avacados broke her hair - the smooth ones moisturize.
confused.gif
Although I can't recall ever seeing a smooth avacado - are they light green??

Hi

The avocado blended, make my hair feels moisturize.Because of the oils, I suppose.
And yes, the smooth ones, that I used, were lighter green, kind of a leaf colour, without any black spots outside.

[ QUOTE ]
Zuppy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Teva,

I don't know if we are thinking of the same post - but the one I'm thinking of the person stated that the "bumby" avacados broke her hair - the smooth ones moisturize.
confused.gif
Although I can't recall ever seeing a smooth avacado - are they light green??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that was the one I read.

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">I love the effects of avocado on my natural hair. It makes my strands a bit straighter but also they feel alot stronger. After applying a good moisturising conditoner after the avocado treatment, which I keep in my hair for a few hours with heat first for 30 minutes, my hair feels very nice. It really is a mild protein treatment. I won't stop using it.

Someone posted, I think it was Tracy who said that the smooth skin avocado was better than the bumpy skin and I have to say that she is correct. I find the smooth skin avocado left my hair alot softer without that harsh dry feeling that the other one left. </font>

<font color="brown">I have to say that this month past I have been away and not able to focus as steady with my diet. The decrease in my protein intake most definately showed a difference. So this confirms my belief that the increase protein, along with maybe my daily runs which revs up my metabolish, makes for longer hair in shorter time.

Oh yes, if you increase your protein intake drink alot, alot of water to flush out your kidneys.

Water, Water, Water...</font>

Someone wanted to know which protein shake I drink. It's Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey Proteinin Natural Vanilla flavor. I love, love this new flavor. It taste too good to be good for you. It's really nice tasting.

Anyone else saw an improvement?

JazzAngel
Rose.gif

thank you Jazz I can see more growth since I started to take in more protein.

I will start to increase my water intake also.

Hey ya'll...been on the Atkins diet for a while now...I can testify to the protien AND exercise cause the hair to grow faster theory...or it does in my case.

I eat no red meat...Boca Burgers for lunch...Salmon for dinner. Omelets with salmon, cheese, sour cream and capers for breakfast. Either that or boiled eggs if I am in a hurry. I snack on cheese and deviled eggs made with Splenda for sweetness. I had my check up with the doctor last month...he has decreased my blood pressure medicine down to half a pill a day...I was up to two. Just by loosing 36 lbs so far...my blood pressure is controled...I am down 2 dress sizes and according to my husband...I no longer snore or stop breathing in my sleep for long periods of time...he says I am so quiet sometimes he wants to put a mirror to my nose to see if I am breathing.
laugh.gif

My health has only improved, however I am increasing my soy, eating more rice cheese (you honestly cannot tell the difference) and hopefully want to get rid of fish all together...even though it is very good for you....who knows...I may change my mind on that.

Congratulations on all of your success, pookeylou! How much extra hair growth did you see in addition to your health and weight changes?

Tebby

[ QUOTE ]
Tebby1017 said:
Congratulations on all of your success, pookeylou! How much extra hair growth did you see in addition to your health and weight changes?

Tebby

[/ QUOTE ]

AT LEAST an inch and a half...more in the top of my head...that seems to grow faster always.

This just gives me even more insentive to follow the Atkin's Diet.

This morning I had a Soy Protein shake made with Soy Milk. Right now I'm eating 3 hard boiled eggs.

I CANNOT wait to see the growth spurt...I don't even get an inch of growth a month.

Tebby

I cannot over emphasize the exercise part of it too...no one can tell me that it did not help...I just wont believe it if they said it....I walk (and am now beginning to run) 3.2 miles, 4 days a week...IT IS CRUCIAL! Is there an Atkins thread on here somewhere?

If you check in the Health &amp; Fitness area, there's a thread on Lo Carbing...there might be a thread on Atkins Specifially but you would have to do a search there...most of the information is under the Lo Carbing thread.

Tebby

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I cannot over emphasize the exercise part of it too...no one can tell me that it did not help...I just wont believe it if they said it....I walk (and am now beginning to run) 3.2 miles, 4 days a week...IT IS CRUCIAL! Is there an Atkins thread on here somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Yes the exercise part makes a very big difference. I believe that increase protein yields above average growth even without the exercise but with daily exercise I have seen phenomanal growth. </font>

Glad to know that you gained more than one inch. Congratulations!
bouncy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchucf the things that we use are natural. Like aloe vera, we use to have the plant in our backyard, so we opened the leaf and removed the pulp to mix with a conditioner and apply as deep treatment.
Mayonnaise, yogurt, avocado, banana, vegetable oil, olive oil, liquid vitamin A (arovit) was our beauty supply products. All these because was cheaper than by brand products. But there, is easy to buy herbs, oils, anywhere. They sell herbs on the street. Here I have no idea where to find them. And the prices way better, for example with $1.00 you can buy like 6 huge avocados, not tinny like here.
I have some conditioners that I brought last year and some vitamins as well, but the weather here is different, the water is different, my diet is different so maybe that's why they do not respond as well as there.
I miss there so much because I did not have to really take care of my hair, but here in US I am suffering.
antlers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Im from Belize and we eat a lot of protein as well...I eat a lot of fish naturally. rice, beans and other high protein foods. Its so funny that u mention the aloe vera gel because thats ezactly what we use to do in Belize. We had a big plant in the back yard and when it came time for the time of the month for treatments we cut this open and applied it directly to our hair. I dont remember exactly how it came out though, but when i first joined this board I remembered that when I was younger we used aloe as well. Now i use it in my conditioners (sometimes) the end result is fantastik.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Hey ya'll...been on the Atkins diet for a while now...I can testify to the protien AND exercise cause the hair to grow faster theory...or it does in my case.

I eat no red meat...Boca Burgers for lunch...Salmon for dinner. Omelets with salmon, cheese, sour cream and capers for breakfast. Either that or boiled eggs if I am in a hurry. I snack on cheese and deviled eggs made with Splenda for sweetness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is the first protein diet Ive seen that actually sounds doable to me, everything here sounds good
lick.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dahllia said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

I eat no red meat...Boca Burgers for lunch...Salmon for dinner. Omelets with salmon, cheese, sour cream and capers for breakfast. Either that or boiled eggs if I am in a hurry. I snack on cheese and deviled eggs made with Splenda for sweetness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is the first protein diet Ive seen that actually sounds doable to me, everything here sounds good
lick.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It really works...I'll give an update on my weight loss for the week on Monday (10/6/03)...

girl thanks for the encouragement coz ima try and start back up on my protein drink coz i kno that takin it wud help but i'm jus too lazy!!

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

I eat no red meat...Boca Burgers for lunch...Salmon for dinner. Omelets with salmon, cheese, sour cream and capers for breakfast. Either that or boiled eggs if I am in a hurry. I snack on cheese and deviled eggs made with Splenda for sweetness. I had my check up with the doctor last month...he has decreased my blood pressure medicine down to half a pill a day...I was up to two. Just by loosing 36 lbs so far...my blood pressure is controled...I am down 2 dress sizes and according to my husband...I no longer snore or stop breathing in my sleep for long periods of time...he says I am so quiet sometimes he wants to put a mirror to my nose to see if I am breathing.
laugh.gif

My health has only improved, however I am increasing my soy, eating more rice cheese (you honestly cannot tell the difference) and hopefully want to get rid of fish all together...even though it is very good for you....who knows...I may change my mind on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on your success pookeylou! I've seen a difference since I've become a vegetarian because I have to keep up on the protein since I cut meats out. I still eat fish, ONLY salmon and tuna, but no red meat, pork, ham, etc. I work out 5 days a week and I can tell a difference also because of the water intake. I can't wait to do my touchup to see how much growth I gained.

I know that protein shakes are reallypopular but it is getting really cold now so are there any warm drinks I can take with protein in them or would they be tooo nasty to take?
look.gif

As an addendum to diamondchair's question...

Are people mixing their protein shakes with water and just stirring? Or are you doing a whole blender thing and adding milk (skim, soy, or otherwise)?

I realize I may be the only one suffering from this, but do you guys notice an increase in bowel movements from protein. I've had soy protein and now I am on milk and egg protein and yesterday I was hauling butt to the toilet. My boyfriend is a former athlete and he's told me before how protein can keep you on the toilet. So if you are ingesting 130 grams daily, how much does your body actually absorb? I am only taking around 30 grams, with the shakes and food, I know that 130 has to keep your stomach rolling or do you get used to it after a while? Maybe this is too much info, if so, please forgive me.

Perhaps you are lactose intolerant? My best friend just found out that he was when he became a vegetarian and had to eat more dairy products. Just a guess. I have never heard of that before.

Well I don't believe I am lactose intolerant, only because I don't drink milk, but every other dairy product such as ice cream, I do have cereal with milk, and cheese, don't give me problems. And I make my smoothies with juice and fruit. Maybe I just have to get used to it for longer than a week.

Back