How important are deep conditioners?

soslychic

I have probably been looking for a good deep conditioner for 1 1/2 years and have yet to find one that doesn't dry my hair. However if I use a cheapie detangling conditioner but am sure to follow up with a good leave in my hair will feel moisturized anyway. Is this all it needs? Isn't the point of a deep conditioner to moisturize? Or is there something else in a deep conditioner that will penetrate further even if you can't feel the difference?

I'm also wondering if I could turn a cheapie conditioner (like suave milk and honey) into a deep one by adding some (maybe alot) honey (I would say honey and olive oil, but olive oil only dries my hair more).
Would sitting under the dryer for like 5 minutes and leaving it on for about 15 more 'cause a conditioner not made for this purpose to dry my hair out?

dreemssold

For my hair...very important. I used LeKair Cholesterol which is cheap and I like it. I think yes, adding honey to a cheapie conditioner is a good idea, but note that a conditioner doesn't have to cost more to be effective. I have used regular conditioners on my hair under the dryer and they have not dried my hair out. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

shellzfoshizzle

Good question. I don't think I have ever used a deep conditioner. I always thought deep conditioning was leaving your regular conditoner on extra long or sitting up under a hooded dryer with the regular conditioner.

Queenie

Deep conditioning has really turned my hair around to being healthy. I put on a plastic cap ans leave it on for 20-25 min. Some people only leave it in for 3 min w/o heat and get great results. I like Dominican conditioners w/o petroleum or mineral oil, Keracare, Nexxus Keraphix, and Ion's Effective care.

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I belive that deep conditioners are NEEDED. All of the stylist I've been to stress about it. I use all of motions conditioners for my deep conditions. (not all at the same time)

lovechic

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought deep conditioning was leaving your regular conditoner on extra long or sitting up under a hooded dryer with the regular conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]IT'S FUNNY CAUSE I USED TO THINK THAT TOO! NOW I'M GLAD THAT I KNOW THE DIFFERNCE! FOR THE LAST YEAR OR SO, I'VE BEEN USING UBH DEEP CONDITONER 2 X WEEKLY FOLLOWED BY A CREME RINSE. NOW I HAVE VERY LITTLE BREAKAGE! IT'S NOT NOTICABLE AT ALL AS THE DEEP COND HAS BEEN REALLY MAKING MY STRANDS STRONGER! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bunny77

Hey Queenie, what Dominican conditioners did you find that didn't have mineral oil or petroleum in them? Thanks!!!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
For me, deep conditioning is vital to my hair. Without it my hair would not be as soft and strong. I have to deep condition once a week, I really notice a difference when I for some reason don't do it.

Peachtree

For my deep conditioning treatment, I'll warm the conditioner & apply it to my hair. For me, deep conditioning is essential to keeping my hair properly moisturized.

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
I have to stop veing lazy and start deep conditioning on a regular basis. I know my hair will reap the benefits of it.
Can anyoone name any good deep conditioners??? I've used LeKair, but it gives me the itchies.

Queenie

The Dominican conditioners I use are Noruel BPT Honey & Almonds, Noruel BPT Aloe, and Rysell Aloe Vera Deep Conditioner Rinse. They're all really nice.

deedabug

if after deep conditioning you still feel dry hair maybe ur not leaving it on long enuff...(i do at least an hour)thats what i equate a deep conditioning...with or without heat...i put suave humectant with vo5 blueberries n cream to get protein once a week and extra moisturizing...with olive oil it does work better if u warm it a little...honey has the same benefits as suave humectant (honey is a humectant)

hiza

Well for my hair is very important.
I always deep condition after shampoo, even after condition washes.

hiza...