How long did it take for your damaged 4c hair to regain health?

Jharianna

I'm new here,but I've been lurking for a while now. I have 4c relaxed hair. Late last year my hairdresser moved and left me with no one and my hair thinned out a lot. I found a new hairdresser,but it ain't getting no better. Then, I let her cut the layers back into my hair thinking it would look fuller. Well, it looks awful and it now you can see through the bottom layer in the back!

I am so frustrated because I hate short hair on me, we really don't believe in cutting our hair anyway, and my hair was so full and pretty this time last year. Just looking at the pics sadden me.

Anyway, I discovered Komaza Care and ordered the califia line. I love it. That, plus lurking here has given me e confidence to take over my on hair care. I co-wash once a week, shampoo and condition it once a week. I love the way it shines and holds curls now with this regimen. It would never do that before. I don't use curling irons and stuff. My last relaxer was 3/4/11. I plan on stretching it to the first of June (if I make it that long).

But how long will it take for me to start seeing my hair thicken back up? God must be trying to teach me patience!

I'll attach pics as soon as I figure out how.

krissyprissy

It took me about a year for my hair to recover from damage and thinning. Given that hair only grows 6 to 7 inches per year. The board has plenty of info about not being dependent on stylist and taking your hair into your own hands.

NIN4eva

After messing with the blow dryer and/or flat iron (as I do from time to time) it'll take me 2-3 months to really notice a recovery of thickness when I lay off the heat and manipulation.

mrsmuhammad

Thank you for starting this thread. I joined the forum back in 09 but only recently have had the nerve to speak up. Now that I am a stay at home mom I have no excuse but to take charge of my life long dream of long, beautiful, healthy hair. I recently got my first relaxer after 3.years and I already am starting to feel sad about my decision. My hair was bone strait after relaxer (I am a 4c), felt like straw and I immediatly started with moisture. My hair is feeling better but it is uneven, the ends still.look fuzzy (even when wet) and in general I am in hair rescue mode. Any advice would be gladly welcomed. Im new to this so if you need more info please let me know! Thanks veterans in advance! Right now the hair in the back of my head is grazing the back of my neck but it is thin.

Jharianna

mrsmuhammad. OMG! I know exactly what you are talking about. I was at my wits end about 4 weeks ago after I got my perm. It was so bone straight, dull and lifeless. And I had the fuzzy ends even though I had just gotten a fresh trim. I was literally crying looking at it. I have to say, that the new regimen of cowashing and shampooing weekly has helped a lot! I notice the best results when I do the ponytail sets and dry it under the dryer. It shines like new money. I'm just frustrated at how thin it is. I'm gonna keep this up, tho since it looks better than it did a month ago, but uggghhhh!
Maybe we can keep each other encouraged.
BTW, why can't I post pics? Is there another level of membership I need or something? The Browse (for pic file) button is greyed out.

mrsmuhammad

mrsmuhammad. OMG! I know exactly what you are talking about. I was at my wits end about 4 weeks ago after I got my perm. It was so bone straight, dull and lifeless. And I had the fuzzy ends even though I had just gotten a fresh trim. I was literally crying looking at it. I have to say, that the new regimen of cowashing and shampooing weekly has helped a lot! I notice the best results when I do the ponytail sets and dry it under the dryer. It shines like new money. I'm just frustrated at how thin it is. I'm gonna keep this up, tho since it looks better than it did a month ago, but uggghhhh!
Maybe we can keep each other encouraged.
BTW, why can't I post pics? Is there another level of membership I need or something? The Browse (for pic file) button is greyed out.

Ha ha ha! Glad to hear im not alone! You know I haven't tried to post a pic yet...i figured I would try that out tomorrow when husband and son aren.t full of distractions! I am all for keeping each other motivated. Right now I am co-washing, DC overnight, rinse with a moisterizing conditioner, and then sealing in moisture with cocconut oil and air drying. It REALLY has helped me with softness. I also have noticed less breakage.
I'm going to roller set tonight with satin covered soft rollers. If it turns out nice I will prob. Try this roller setting on the days I co wash and hope it last for a while! Im trying to quit heat all together so heres to big dreams!

Lets keep.this post going, see if we can get some new buddies to help us out and keep each other motivated! Hopefully this time next year we can chat about how healthy and happy our hair is!

I promise tomorrow to try and figure out how to post a pic! Plus I can have my husband take a shot of my starting length...it will be fun to watch progress! Happy growing!

Mrs. Verde

Welcome ladies!

If you haven't already read these threads, there is some really good information that might help you in your journey.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50291

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

This title says 4a/b, but much of the information is beneficial to many types.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=37059&highlight=ajAMERICANdIVA

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=157899

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215663

mrsmuhammad

Welcome ladies!

If you haven't already read these threads, there is some really good information that might help you in your journey.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50291

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

This title says 4a/b, but much of the information is beneficial to many types.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=37059&highlight=ajAMERICANdIVA

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=157899

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=215663

THANK YOU! How kind of you! Looks like I have lots of reading to do tonight! I have another quick question...does anyone know of a post/blog that defines all of the acronyms usef here?! Sometimes I feel like the slow kid! :sad:

kizzylonghair

Thank you for starting this thread. I joined the forum back in 09 but only recently have had the nerve to speak up. Now that I am a stay at home mom I have no excuse but to take charge of my life long dream of long, beautiful, healthy hair. I recently got my first relaxer after 3.years and I already am starting to feel sad about my decision. My hair was bone strait after relaxer (I am a 4c), felt like straw and I immediatly started with moisture. My hair is feeling better but it is uneven, the ends still.look fuzzy (even when wet) and in general I am in hair rescue mode. Any advice would be gladly welcomed. Im new to this so if you need more info please let me know! Thanks veterans in advance! Right now the hair in the back of my head is grazing the back of my neck but it is thin.

I'm new here,but I've been lurking for a while now. I have 4c relaxed hair. Late last year my hairdresser moved and left me with no one and my hair thinned out a lot. I found a new hairdresser,but it ain't getting no better. Then, I let her cut the layers back into my hair thinking it would look fuller. Well, it looks awful and it now you can see through the bottom layer in the back!

I am so frustrated because I hate short hair on me, we really don't believe in cutting our hair anyway, and my hair was so full and pretty this time last year. Just looking at the pics sadden me.

Anyway, I discovered Komaza Care and ordered the califia line. I love it. That, plus lurking here has given me e confidence to take over my on hair care. I co-wash once a week, shampoo and condition it once a week. I love the way it shines and holds curls now with this regimen. It would never do that before. I don't use curling irons and stuff. My last relaxer was 3/4/11. I plan on stretching it to the first of June (if I make it that long).

But how long will it take for me to start seeing my hair thicken back up? God must be trying to teach me patience!

I'll attach pics as soon as I figure out how.

Welcome Ladies

It took me 12 months to get the thickness, stop the breakage & shedding.
I used to abuse my hair, so the length was over processed and moistureless.
I have gradually grown & trimmed off this bad hair.
You will see the results/difference in a few months as long as your are constant.
You need start trying different products, I became a really product junkie:lachen: some disasters but now I have found my staples.

Dont sleep on some of the main products the girls on here use as most of them are as good as they say, research hair product ingredients so that you can pick up a bottle and know exactly what benefit it will have.
There is a load of crap out there

Read up on regimes and adapt and try different techniques, constancy and listening to your hair is key.. Good Luck :grin:

mrsmuhammad

Question, can anyone explain the benefits of a wet deep condition versus a dry one? I just got some Aubrey HOnesuckle rose Moisturizing Conditioner and was debating if I should use it on dry hair overnight with an oil or co-wash and then sleep on the honesuckle rose as a DC...thoughts?

Mrs. Verde

Question, can anyone explain the benefits of a wet deep condition versus a dry one? I just got some Aubrey HOnesuckle rose Moisturizing Conditioner and was debating if I should use it on dry hair overnight with an oil or co-wash and then sleep on the honesuckle rose as a DC...thoughts?

mrsmuhammad - I like HSR with oil. I have only used it as deep conditioner. I slap it on my head at with rice bran oil and go to sleep. For me, it is too expensive to use a co-wash.

Vashti

It took a couple of months to see some thickness coming back when i first started and about 7 months before my damaged ends came off. Altogether almost a year before my hair became truly healthy again.

beans4reezy

I saw a difference in about a year and that was with incorporating weekly moisturizing and protien treatments and stretching my relaxer until my hair was healthier. Be patient and consistent- your hair will turn around.