My afro(kinky hair, 4c) ladies, how long did it take to get your hair healthy?

Kawaii1

My(kinky hair, 4c)ladies with process, how long did it take to get your hair healthy?

Looking for processed straight ladies not texlax. How long does it take? I am obsessed with ending breakage :wallbash: and I want to know how long did it take to see good, strong, healthy hair?

Days,weeks, months, years?

What do you think the best method to stopping breakage is? Is it all about the right products? good moisture? clarifying? not overprocessing or maybe protective styles?

Last edited:

lipyt

How long does it take? I am obsessed with ending breakage :wallbash: and I want to know how long did it take to see good, strong, healthy hair?

What do you think the best method to stopping breakage is? Is it all about the right products? good moisture? clarifying? not overprocessing or maybe protective styles?
some one else just said this this morning to another girl with the same question. Use a wide tooth comb and try to only comb in the shower with conditioner and water in your hair to help get the comb through easily. I also braid my hair in the shower right after I finished washing the conditioner out to stop it from tangling or doing some thing crazy again. After I have done that I can unbraid sections put grease or oil in the scalp and then braid it back up. When it dries it will be soft to comb through. I never put any heat in my hair also. I keep my hair braided up for 3 week stretches too.

Bublin

lipyt gave good advice but it depends on how short your hair is.

Personally as i have 7 inch hair just 'putting it into a couple of plaits' is impossible. My hair needs about 8-10 plaits. This is time comsuming and i can't stand in the shower for that long, otherwise i'd be water logged.

I personally squeeze out excess water with a towel, after having rinsed out my Motions CPR conditioner (great for breaking hair and i comb out my hair whilst its still in my hair under the shower).

I then apply Kids Organic Shea Butter Detangling Leave-in (excellent for detangling).

Seal with Vatika Oil - also apply to scalp.

I then twist it up whilst still damp (twists are easier for me on shorter, thick hair).

In the morning i undo the twists and my hair is dry and silky ready to put up into a puff.

Kawaii1

I'm sorry ladies I meant processed hair not natural. I know what ya'll naturals do, I had natural hair for more than 10 years.

Artemis

Re: My(kinky hair, 4c)ladies with process, how long did it take to get your hair heal

Looking for processed straight ladies not texlax. How long does it take? I am obsessed with ending breakage :wallbash: and I want to know how long did it take to see good, strong, healthy hair?

I think it depends on what level of breakage you are starting with and other factors of the hair (like what you did to it in the past x years it's been on your head) that determine the answer to this question. It also depends on what your willing to do to help repair the damage...

Just focus on being consistent and it'll come. If you try to focus on how long it'll take, it may take longer ;)

To turn my hair around health-wise, it took 6 months of deep conditioning 2x/week for 45+ per session. This included protective styles only and rollersets. I used the blowdryer and flat iron sporadically, but I was determined to master the rollerset. Now to maintain the health of my hair I still wash 2x/week but I only deep condition once. Before I moisturized/sealed my ends like 4-5x/day; now I do it once or twice.

If you're not willing to be hard-core for a few months of boot-camp like practices (to build a healthy hair foundation), it's going to take longer. If you just do the bare minimum, it's going to take longer than that. And you might end up cutting more than you keep.

It just all depends :ohwell:

Kawaii1

See that's the problem. How do you really know how damaged your hair is? I think my hair is in between and I have definantly seen it way more screwed up then it is now but I can't tell exactly how much damage I have done. I have decided to stretch for 4 months, dc 1x/week detangle 1x/week, co-wash 2-3 times a week and seal 1x/day at night. I have no idea if this is enough or if I should be doing more?

Come on ladies can I get some more responses.............:sad:

Katt73

Hi Kawaii...

I think you have to find out what's causing your breakage in order to figure out how to stop it. Too much protein? Too little moisture? Too much moisture? Stressful hairstyles? Overprocessing? Some of what you do is going to be trial and error in the beginning until you figure out what's causing your hair to break off.

My 4b hair needs a whole heap of moisture, so once I started deep conditioning and moisturing/sealing my ends, I saw a turnaround in a matter of less than a month. I get very little breakage now (maybe two or three broken hairs a day while combing), which is something I NEVER thought would be possible.

I noticed that you're in Chicago. We're having a Chicago "Meet Up" on October 20th...if you're able to come, perhaps some of the ladies can see your hair in person and offer some advice.

Artemis

That's the thing: You won't really know until you get in there and assess your strands. Do a search on Sistaslick and read up on her articles, esp. the ones on breakage :yep: She comprehensively explains what to look for and what to do when you find areas of damage.

And just like Katt said, it's trial and error. Because everyone's hair is different, there is no quick fix. We all don't start out w/the same type of hair, no do we do the same types of things to "damage" it, and not all "no-no" behaviors will damage our hair the same...This is part of the journey.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you :ohwell: