How long did it take you to grow your hair

brandy

How long did it take to grow your hair to bra strap or waist length ? What was your starting length? I'm feeling low and need some encouragement, so I would appreciate your replies.

PapillionRouge

Well, the board is usually kind of slow on weekends, but Im sure u'll get PLENTY of replies here by tomorrow. We have lots of ladies that have grown their hair from really short to bra-strap and sometimes longer, who will be more tham happy to respond.
HTH

Faith

Well, November 20th will be my 4 year natural anniversary and I started with 1/2" of hair...my hair is now about 3" above waist.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Brandy

I'm sorry you're feeling a bit low about your hair progress.
But looking at your signature, I see that 2.7" to 3.2" in roughly a 3 month period. Even in a 4 month period, that's a good amount of growth!
Especially when you consider that on average, hair grows only *half* an inch per month! That means your rate is surpassing the average rate of growth. I know it can get frustrating sometimes, looking at where you want to be and comparing it to where you currently are. When that happens, I focus on other things for a while (but still care for my hair) because I know my hair will be growing but I won't be obsessing. By the time I notice again, my hair has noticeably grown.
I'm not at bra-strap length or waist length yet but I know some of our resident long-haired lovelies are good at encouraging the rest of us and are generous with sharing information from their journies. I agree, you may get more responses tomorrow.

adrienne0914

i started growing my hair the right way in june 2000. at that time, it was scraping my shoulders. so it's been about 3½ years, and i'm about 2" from waist length.

i know how you feel, brandy! i can remember being SO frustrated thinking i wasn't making any progress. just keep trying. it WILL happen!!!

buffalosoldier

My hair is not bra strap but it took about 4 years to go from 2 inches to below collar boneish. The point I wanted to make was that I never remotely paid any attention to how long it was or how fast it was growing. I just washed it every other day and got on with my life. It is only now that I am trying to really grow it and want it long.
So my advice to you would be to look after your hair but almost forget about it if that makes any sense. It is obviously growing so just continue to look after it and keep it healthy. Maybe keep it in braids off and on. Or find some nice ways to wear it short.

I"m from England too so a nice British hello to you

hair 3c

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:

My hair is not bra strap but it took about 4 years to go from 2 inches to below collar boneish. The point I wanted to make was that I never remotely paid any attention to how long it was or how fast it was growing. I just washed it every other day and got on with my life. It is only now that I am trying to really grow it and want it long.
So my advice to you would be to look after your hair but almost forget about it if that makes any sense. It is obviously growing so just continue to look after it and keep it healthy. Maybe keep it in braids off and on. Or find some nice ways to wear it short.

I"m from England too so a nice British hello to you

hair 3c

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Nyambura and Buffalosoldier about not paying attention and "forgetting" about how fast it's growing. In the past, I was not so focused on my hair (mainly because I didn't know anything about it anyway) I just let it be. People would come up to me and say, "How does it feel to have long hair?" or "I like your length, what did you do?", or "Look at all that hair!" Now, I had no hair regime to speak of and my hair was unhealthy and heat-damaged but it still grew, as it will. It always surprised me when I'd get a comment like that because I had "forgotten" to pay attention to my hair growth and like magic, it was a lot longer all of a sudden! Then I'd notice the length, admire it then do something silly and the next thing I know, it was breaking off. That was my old pattern.

I think what happens (and I'm guilty of this, especially since I've been on this board! LOL!) is that some of us are repeatedly digging up a seed we've planted to see how it's growing and it seems like it's slow or nothing's happening. If we continue with our hair regimes, vitamins, scalp massages, exercise, etc. and then just let it be, it will flourish.

I think in the process of "letting go" of the need for our hair to grow faster or longer, it will do just that and maybe even surprise us with amazing hair growth!

brandy

Thanks a lot Isis, am just going to forget about my hair for a while and measure it again in March. Hopefully I would be in for a big surprise