How long do you leave the relaxer on

Brownie

How long do you or your hair dresser leave the relaxer on to get the desired effect: bone straight, straight or texturized?

Please state if your hair is bone straight, straight , or texturized, and what type hair you have.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Almondhoney

If I want my hair very straight (no waves/curls)
I leave it in for the amount of time required 20-30 mins.
For the past 6 years I only leave it in for the amount of time it took me to apply it. Usually 10 mins.

Almondhoney

adrienne0914

i would say my hair is texturized. the last time i had it done, the stylist left it on for about 8 minutes. she did the back half first, then rinsed. then she did the front half in the same amount of time. she used Affirm Lye.

adrienne

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Primarily 4a I guess, thick with very defined curls. Texturized. 15 minutes. Revlon Regular strength. Picture in the Photo Gallery.

ThursdayGirl

about 20 minutes icluding application time. -- Straight hair
-- Mizani relaxer ...

My stylists leaves it on for approx 5 minutes. My hair flattens REALLY fast. As soon as she's done all 4 quarters of the head and lightly uses the unteeth part of the comb, its time!

My hair comes out straight.

Brownie

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
brownrelaxedhair said:
My stylists leaves it on for approx 5 minutes. My hair flattens REALLY fast. As soon as she's done all 4 quarters of the head and lightly uses the unteeth part of the comb, its time!

My hair comes out straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impressed that your stylist can work that fast! I guess you don't go to one of those places where the stylist is on the telephone and doing 3 other heads at the same time

My hair is texturized. The hair dresser usually leaves it on 10 minutes tops, and it comes out nice and wavy. Two touch ups ago, my last hair dresser left it on for about 12 minutes (forgot to time it), and I hated it because my hair was still thick, but not as wavy. Needless to say, I don't go to her anymore. But since I do braid outs 99.8% of the time, my hair looks fairly uniform.

Dionne

My last two good relaxer experiences it was left on for 15-20 mintues total. I got straight hair that got some body back after my first wash.

Karonica

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
brownrelaxedhair said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good googly moogly! I wish I could do this!
I'd probably come out with two straight strands of hair. The rest would look untouched.

butterscotch

I thought my relaxer time was short

My stylist is done in 10 minutes, and she knows I don't want my hair relaxed a minute longer.

kandy

I leave mine on for 15 minutes: mizani mild, but I think I could have gone a few more minutes - first time self relaxing

beana3

I do 20 minutes on the whole head, which means the front 2 sections get relaxed for about 5-8 minutes and the back (which is coarse) get relaxed for longer. Since i apply my own relaxers its important that the relaxer work slow, I dont want to have overprocessed hair. I opt for mild strength and my hair straightens pretty well with Motions lye mild... but the oil version was like, well putting oil on my hair, nothing.
Mizani was the one of the strongest relaxers i've ever used, i couldn't last 4 minutes with that!

kandy

Thanks!! I have been lurking a while and finally decided to become a member, everyone on here seems so down to earth! I will be posting some hair pics soon... My pic on the left is two years old...

I like to leave it on for about 20 minutes. I would guess that I am a 4b. I have super thick, resistant, tightly curled hair and I like it straight. It doesn't get bone straight though because when it is wet it still has some wave to it.

shanda michelle

Kitkat

I self relax using Affirm regular, and my relaxer is in for 18 minutes including application time. I'm 4a/4b. My hair comes out straight, though some areas remain a bit wavy. I could probably leave it on for another 2 minutes, but I don't because I don't want to risk overprocessing and breakage.

G

I have 3B/C type hair

I relax to bone straight.

And I usually leave it on for 10 -15 mins

NayNay

I think I am around 10-15 minutes tops. I don't like to let it "marinate" as one hairdresser told me. My curl pattern breaks instantaneously so by the time she applies it to my head. I am ready to wash it out!

skegeesmb

When I used to relax my hair as soon as I was finished applying the relaxer I would wash it right out. So basically I left the relaxer on enough to apply only.

So I would relax my hair straight, but not bone straight.

I am now natural and have been for 16 months.