How Long Were You Able To Stretch Your Relaxers With Braids or Sew-Ins?

With Braids, Sew In, or Other Protective style...how long did you stretch?

• 4-6 weeks

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 6-12 weeks

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • 12-28 weeks

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • 28-36 weeks

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 36-or longer baby

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters

supermodelsonya

Or other protective styles?

I currently have Tree Braids. If I didn't buy the wrong kind of hair (I was tricked because the package said 100% human but when I curled it, it melted!):wallbash: I'd really like the style more!

Anywhoooo...I'm currently almost six weeks post but I love this style and want to wear it into the summer without relaxing....with REAL HUMAN HAIR!! LOL

I planned on relaxing May 1st but with Tree Braids, I can go a lot longer...but I don't want to do any damage!!!

So what was the longest time you were able to stretch with your PS?

Last edited:

smwrigh3

I well.. I normally get my PS right around 8 weeks and keep it in 6 weeks.

But this time I am going to get a sewin around 6 weeks and keeping it for 6-8 weeks and then after a week getting box braids... I tryin to stretch until august! We'll see!

I hope I can do it!

supermodelsonya

You can girl! Don't forget to post your results in this thread! I may try to stretch mine out to June. Maybe I can hit APL or get really close to APL's cousin! LOL I'll post my results here too!

baby42

8 or 9 months:yep: i braid up every oct until may, i could and have grew out my relaxer with out doing a BC. WITH BRAIDS. I just take care of my braids deep-con co wash protein treatment moisturizering right now its my own braids i doing this too.

glamazon386

I started at 12 the first few times and gradually stretched another week or two until I ended up at 22 weeks. Then after I did that twice, I BCed.

HarlemHottie

With my sew in I start in sept and just get my installments every other month or so, and I would do that till may... But I got a perm early this year because I have a wedding to attend.

stephluvshair

well I currently have box braids (they are fairly medium sized, i dont do micros....i wanna keep my edges) I put them in when I was five weeks post and plan to take them out at the end of april and reinstall with cornrows until the the end of june....i will relax for the fourth of july weekend because my bf is throwing a bbq .....by the way i will be 22 weeks post (hope i get good growth)

trendsetta25

I stretched for 14 weeks...I would/could have stretched longer but I was eager to see how much growth I retained. At the beginning of my stretching period I wore sew-in's from straight to curly and then when the naps really kicked in I opted for cornrows>box braids.
I’m starting my stretch again and I found this protective style cycle to be successful.

KaramelDiva1978

I used microbraids to stretch 12 weeks, I had so much ng, a comb was defeated just by looking at my hair. When I first got them, I was 4 wks post and had the little newgrowth peeking out pressed with a hot comb, so I was able to keep my braids an additional 8 weeks. It was a painful relaxer, but worth it!

ajacks

My longest stretch was 27 weeks with a sew-in, but I could definitely go longer! Without a sew-in I can only last 12 weeks.

LivingDol1

i wore box braids or long twists, getting then redone every 2.5 - 3 months. the longest i went without relaxing was 3 years. i only took breaks from braiding twice... i was all natural by the time i took out the braids and relaxed this time.

MrsHdrLe

I am unintentionally at 12 weeks post. ( had an appt. to get a perm at 8 weeks, but miscommunicated with my stylist so I got cornrows in front and individuals in back. I did them myself and they are about jumbo pencil size, like the blue ones from preschool) Since I do them myself, I think I can go another 10 weeks at least, but I want to check my progress in May. (i'm also trying the no heat challenge) When I was weaved, I would usually go about 8 weeks, but that was also before I discovered LHCF. I'm a 1.5 month newbie. So actually I have permed edges and crown and the rest is natural. I really don't know what I am/want to do in May. I'd like to stay natural, but the two hair types situation is difficult to say the least and i don't want to cut my 10-12 layered inches. So, I may be stretching all year.:rolleyes:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am 28 weeks post right now and I am doing it with braids. I am going to go until 1st week of Dec so that will be a little over 52 weeks.

Aggie

So far 21.5 weeks but this current stretch, I am going for 32 weeks. I just got some cornrows in yesterday and so I have to redo them about 2 more times to get to 32 weeks as I am now at 10 weeks post.

RavenMaven

Right now I am 15 weeks post and I have micros in right now for the first time ever. All is going well, but I am transitioning, and I plan on BCing in June.

supermodelsonya

You ladies have convinced me to attempt long stretching. I've seen some fabulous results with stretching for long periods of time.
I've been wearing these tree braids that I'm quite happy with. I can get the look of a weave with all my hair braided up for much cheaper!

Pics on my blog at www.babygirlhair.blogspot.com

I'm thinking about stretching until June which will put me at 16 weeks. Then I will relax and do a length check and may stretch from June to November or December 1st with my new protective style.

I've learned that wearing sew ins for a year straight, that my hair grows best when left alone!!!!! WHen I started putting my hands in it and doing stuff to it, I suffered setbacks! NO more! I was past SL and now back to grazing SL....

With protective styling, MT, and my trusty old Biotin, I'll be APL this year or I'm shaving it off!!!!!!!!!!!!

morehairplease

Currently, I am attempting my first stretch of 4 months(on my own) and have plans on getting braid extensions(to stretch for an additional 3-4 months). My goal is to stretch for a year and either big chop or relax bone straight in Dec. 2009 or Jan 2010.

supermodelsonya

I think I'm going to relax in June after wearing tree braids for the Spring. I want to stretch but not too long. I want to be bonelaxed and don't want my stylist to have any problems with underprocessing.

After I relax (hopefully I'll be a couple inches away from APL, I'll wear my tree braids until October or November and then relax again. If I can stick to 3-4 relaxers a year, I'd be fine.