How Many Of Us Were Left To Fend For Ourselves As Kids Regarding Our Hair?

MizAvalon

This is inspired by the "How Long Was Your Hair As A Child?" thread.

Just wondering how many ladies were left to fend for themselves? So many talk about having long hair as a child and it being ruined at some point and it never growing back to that same long length again. My mom, bless her heart was clueless about haircare so I was left to my own, uninformed devices or I had to trust that hairdressers knew what they were doing. I remember she even used to blame me for my perms "not lasting" because I didn't take care of my hair. The "not lasting" she spoke of? New growth.:perplexed

Crazy enough, my hair was never short other than the one time I got it cut at 13.

I was and I was glad :lol: I started doing my hair when I was 8 and I was pretty good at getting my parts straight and doing ponytails. My mom was pretty good with my hair but those ponytails were TIGHT and very uncomfortable :perplexed. When I turned 10 I started getting my hair pressed and the high heat kept it at the same length for years

Haha, this is perfect. I have a white, Jewish mother. Needless to say my hair has been a learning experience for the both of us

i was. my mom knew nothing about hair, but she always wore her hair in this beautiful updo that i would beg her to teach me, and she would always refuse. now that i think about it, my techniques weren't bad. i used to do hot oil treatments with vo5 oil or olive oil, wash then condition. but i didnt know anything about deep conditioning. and i was a stretcher b/c i couldnt afford to go every 6-8 weeks for a touch up of my hair. but my hair wasn't long at all. it was only to my chin, and when it was "long" it was to the top of my shoulders. i went from natural to curl to relaxer to wave neaveau back to relaxer throughout my childhood/teenage years so this could be why my hair stayed the length it was.

I was...my mother had 5 girls and can't do hair at all. I went through my formative years looking like a baby Sonic.

My grandmother used to take care of me and my sisters hair. Then we moved to the other side of town my mother had no clue what she was doing plus she was sick. Me and my older sister taught ourselves how to braid. But neither one of us knew how to actually take care of our hair. We never dcd or shampooed or a regular bases. The longest we would reach was apl or full sl then it would break off and we would throw extensions in our heads. It would grow back just to break off :nono:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I had to fend for myself as a kid. My mom really didn't know what to do with my hair--she had 2-something hair and up until 6 or 7 years ago, she didn't really know what to do with hers. She'd hot curl it almost daily, which she didn't have to do. I showed how how to do her hair without heat and she's been doing it every since.

Because I had to do my own hair at such a young age, and I was horrible at it and didn't really know how to take care of it, I spoiled my own daughters. My youngest is almost 14 and doesn't know how to do her hair. My oldest is almost 22 and she is just getting the hang of doing her own hair.

Last edited:
My cousin did my hair and my Mom hide her's under wigs. I grew up doing my sister hair, 16 years ago finally talked my Mom who has 3a hair to stop getting jeri curls:lachen:

my mum gave me and my sister the same low cut fade the she and her classmates had in elementary school in Ghana back in the day.:grin::look:
she occasionally let her friend braid it...those braid would stay in for MONTHS...the the clippers would come out again.

Hmm, my mom and big sister tried hard to do my hair (and they both always had long hair- effortlessly)...no one really knew how to do my hair...Now since i went natural - I know why. My hair is very mysterious...I started doing my hair around 9years old b/c I wanted to and became an expert at "doing" other peoples hair by 12-13y/o (braids, extensions, etc).

I wasn't left to fend for myself per se - I wanted to take over at the age of 10 or 11 and my mother let me. I think all my little friends could do their own hair by then so one didn't want to be "the baby" who couldn't do her own basic plaits. I did okay. :)

I don't have a memory of my mother doing my hair past age 5 or 6. She used to "thread" my hair before then; after, she kept me in braid extensions and didn't even wash it :-( In her defense, I was the oldest of 5 so she didn't have a lot of time on her hands. I've never had hair past my neck.

Now with my 3 daughters (11, 10 and 4) I am proud to say I take impeccable care of their hair. They each have their own customized regimen and my baby has gone from grazing SL to BSB in 6 months :)

When you know better, you do better........

Last edited:
My mom did my hair until I was in middle school(11) and then declared I was too old for her to be doing it (aka she didn't want to anymore). I wore 1 sad ponytail everyday until I got to high school and begged for a relaxer. My hair was APL at first and for about 6 months afterward and that's the longest it's ever been.

I had to fend for myself as a kid. My mom really didn't know what to do with my hair--she had 2-something hair and up until 6 or 7 years ago, she didn't really know what to do with hers. She'd hot curl it almost daily, which she didn't have to do. I showed how how to do her hair without heat and she's been doing it every since.

Because I had to do my own hair at such a young age, and I was horrible at it and didn't really know how to take care of it, I spoiled my own daughters. My youngest is almost 14 and doesn't know how to do her hair. My oldest is almost 22 and she is just getting the hang of doing her own hair.

I refuse to believe you have a 22 year old daughter! Black folks really don't age!

When I got to middle school, I pretty much had to take care of my hair except when I got a relaxer at the salon. My reggie was pretty simple wash and dc every two weeks, blowdry and bun/ponytail. My hair flourished w/ that simple reggie but when I got older, my love of the metal curling iron is when my hair flatlined (bumped ends every day).

Me, I didnn't live with my mom from 9 onward, and I had to do my hair then. I remember just being stuck in the bathroom crying for hours.

Awwww you guys are too sweet :kiss: ---I'll be 47 in a few more months, I feel I look every bit of my years :yep:

:shocked::shocked::shocked: there is no way that you're pushin 50...we need to see some id.

but my mom took care of my hair until 6th or 7th grade when i begged for a relaxer and after that she did my retouches and styled it occasionally, but other than that i was left to fend for my self for day to day styling...which resulted in a busted ponytail or bun everyday for 3 or 4 yrs until i learned how to flat-iron and wrap my own hair

I had three ponytails up until the end of Middle school. My mother couldn't braid or plait or anything!....the ponytails were pointing in different directions, sticking all up, not smooth, with bumps and lumps. I would comb it in one ponytail and try to make it at least neat...When I got into high school I was still wearing one ponytail..:nono: I taught myself to fingerwave cause that's what the girls were wearing, and learned from there...my mom still can't do hair. She tries to do my niece's hair and she cries...:lachen:

Back