Votes: 27 6.4%
  • mb -- mid back

Votes: 87 20.6%
  • tail bone or longer

Votes: 15 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

babyhurr4

I remember my momma hating to use that pink oil lotion on my hair because she use to curse at my hair because the lotion would make it frizz and "and not act right" she use to say, lol.....till this day, my hair goes nuts if I attempt to put pink lotion on my head...but it slicked my sister's hair down something nice. My momma used water, blue magic grease or dog mane(that stuff stinked), spray detangler and rubber bands on my hair. I remember my hair getting washed once a month or so as a little girl.

mzcris

As a child I could remember my mom dreading combing my hair...b/c it was long and thick. I don't quite remember how long...but I do know as my mom put it "I had long pig tails....:rolleyes:"

Now as a teenager when I took over I did not take care of it well and that's because I had no knowledge......

panamoni

Mine was just at APL. Ever since I started getting relaxers, it's been at SL or a little longer, but never at full APL -- until now -- December 09, I'll be there.

Prelude to a Kiss

M'Baku School of Wakandan White Silencing
As a kid, my (natural) hair was between APL and BSL; when I got it relaxed at 9/10, it was WL and stayed that way until some stupid stylist cut it to SL. It's never been any shorter than that though.

toyagurl

My hair was WL. My hair is extremely thick and I was tenderheaded so my mother rarely did it. She washed it once a year!!! But it was loooooonnnnggg. It wasn't until I went to stay with an aunt when I was 11, that was actually abusing me through my hair, that it all broke off. When my mother came to get me she cried and so did I:(

healthyhair2

Mine was mid back length. My Mom would press it and I would wear a long glossy ponytail to school. After relaxing it the first time ,it broke off to shoulder length. I'm almost to brastrap now--the longest it's been since I was 11 years old or so!

Hairsofab

I never had long hair as a child. If the tip of my hair touched my shoulder I thought it was long but that never lasted. As a child I probably was between ear and chin length most of the time.

RosesBlack

When I was about 9 my hair was tailbone length but I had so much of it my Mom cut it to midback. It was midback until I was 12 and insisted she cut it to SL and it was Sl until I started "taking care of it" by myself then it all broke off/went downhill from there.

nucienuce1

My was a little longer then APL but I was a scissor happy kid (got alot of spankings), I couldnt stand for anything to touch my back. When I got to high school I cut my hair and it was about three inches long, i grew it to BSL and cut and the cycle continued until now.

aquajoyice

My hair would go from APL to shoulder length... I just remember a lot of frizz and detangling was a disaster. My mom used to put in 4 dookie braids on Saturday night after washing and on Sunday morning would press N curl. I wasn't really that interested in my hair until the 3rd grade. But all I remember is people telljng me not to cut it because it was getting long. But then the damage would break it off or I would go to the salon on rare occasions and they would "trim". And it's been that way majority of my life. And everyone would always say "why did you cut your hair it was getting so long?" But it was the damage that kept my hair that length.

SparkleDoll

Midback length. Mom took me to the beauty shop to get a relaxer and it's been down hill ever since. I'm still trying to figure out this whole relaxer thing 20 years later.

mocha.li

My hair was pretty short growing up. My mom use to put relaxers, carefree curls and wave newvous in my hair. when I was a freshman I got a relaxer from the shop and my hair just began growing from there.

snillohsss

I never had length at all. The longest was about chin length. My mother was press happy. I can't remember ever having my hair moisturized and just worn in its natural stated. She used lots of grease, and hot combs. :(

skegeesmb

Armpit/brastrap length here. I probably would have been longer but I took a ponytail and chopped it off. I got a nice beating for that.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I remember it being incredibly thick and natural. It couldn't have been longer than APL though.

ETA: Kikootie, just saw your pic. My hair looked pretty much like your avatar. It was huge. That brings back memories.

Last edited:

albane

My mother let my hair grow from the youngest age. I do not remember she really cut it, except regular trim to improve the ends, before I had it to the waist. Then she kept it at that length with regular cuts by a few centimeters.
I kept hair to the waist up to the time I graduated at university.
My mother was a hair dresser in Madagascar. She started rollersetting my hair very young. At 6, I was already under the dryer once a week.
When I turned 14, she considered I was old enough to accept suffering for beauty and as a birthday present she bought for me a huge custom made hood dryer and started caring my hair twice a week by way of equally huge rollersets. My beautiful hair brought e a lot of success with boys all along those years as it does today with my husband, but it was at the expense of very painful drying session under that dryer nicknamed "the bell".
Unfortunately my mother sold it when I decided to cut my hair at the age of 19. I say "unfortunately", because today I have grown again my hair at husband request and I am sure I would appreciate to get such a dryer with me. It think it is quite impossible to get again such custom built dryer in France.

MrsHdrLe

I can't remember it, I'll bet it was never more than shoulder length. My mom fell in love with jeri curls (still wears one to this day) and that was the demise of my hair.

wheezy807

The longest my hair has ever been as a child is APL. Mainly the front, i had real issues going on in my nape area.

stormy07

The longest my hair ever was was in pre k I can remember my hair in 2 plaits down about to BSL I guess....then it progressively got shorter thanks to tender headed me, a white mother who had NO clue what to do with it....and that just for me crap. So right now my hair is the longest it's ever been since I was like...4 :lachen:

LadyRaider

I am not sure how long my hair was. It wasn't something I noticed, or cared about at the time. I know I had longer hair than any other black girl from K-12 in school. I remember in Jr. High girls would pull my hair in the expectation that it was fake. My mom would braid my hair in two high pony tails that would curve a little and touch my shoulders. I wore pony tail twists even in high school.
In late high school/college my hair began to break off (when I started doing it myself.)

teacherjess

When I was a kid, my hair was healthy as long as my mom was doing it. She washed and pressed it every week to two weeks, then plaited it up with the cute barrettes and bows and such for school. In the summer, I'd often go natural (because of swimming and just being a kid) and she would keep it moisturized, greased, and in a double french braid. My hair never got past full SL, though but it was quite healthy, full, and pretty.

Then 8th grade hit and I got a box perm and mom retired from doing mine and my sister's hair. Hers flourished & grew but I had problems ever since. My hair fluctuated around a chewed up EL/NL from age 14 to 19. My hair only approached SL after being in braids and after the braids were taken out it was back to NL because of breakage. From 19- 29 I just got into going to the beauty shop & getting it cut into cute styles (the Halle Berry, asymmetrical Rhianna bob~ whatever floated my boat at the time). Now, I'm turnin' dirty thirty in 2 months and on the GROW for the first time in my life!