Votes: 27 6.4%
  • mb -- mid back

Votes: 87 20.6%
  • tail bone or longer

Votes: 15 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chayil0427

I was just wondering how many of you ladies had long hair as children? I went to my first stylist in grade school with bra strap length hair (or what woulda been bra strap if I had any boobs then LOL). My grandmother took me to a stylist because my mother moved out of state and she didn't know how to relax my hair.

Yet, after that first trim it's just gotten shorter and shorter until I got brave enough to tell my stylist NO! and started caring for my own hair.

So what was your hair like as a child?

THE SECOND SHOULDER SHOULD BE BRA STRAP LENGTH...OOOPS.

Chayil

Last edited:

ashmack

My hair was WL and maybe longer since it was never worn totally straight. I only remember going to hairdressers for roller sets for weddings maybe like twice when I was younger. I never had a trim until I was in 9th grade.

autumnbeauty29

My hair was extremely thick, had deep waves and long. I would consider it BSL by the time I was 7. My mom would wash it every 2 weeks, air dry it through braids and through time it would lengthen again. Around the time I was 10 I got a relaxer because we we both tired of fighing with each other and it had become such a struggle to tame my big hair. It grew very well until I was about 13 and started messing with it myself...

after years of breakage, heat damage and doing whatever I wanted to it I am now getting it back on the right track. But my 'baby hair' never left my side :p

Kari107

I never had "long" hair as a child. My hair was basically apl thorughout my childhood although it did change a little. I had my hair cut shoulder lenght when I was 12 and again when I was 14. I think my hair was kept that lenght because my family thought my hair was hard to manage. I didn't have "long" hair until I was 16 and it was longer than apl for the first time.

locabouthair

my hair was barely ear length as a child. mainly because my mom using a small tooth comb to comb my 4b hair and used TONS of grease to "moisturize" my hair, which was always very dry.

then i wore braids and used braids spray almost every night and my hair grew to neck length and i thought i was hot stuff:lol:

now im aiming for SL.

jamiss

I never had much hair as a child. I grew a little bit of hair when I had a jheri curl, maybe neck length. because of all of the grease, but I hated the way my hair felt (not to mention the teasing). At about fourteen some hairdresser had convinced me and my mom that it was okay to put a relaxer over a perm, and most of my hair broke off. I had a lot of hair problems up until I was eighteen and I started wearing braided extensions all of the time.

NeeSee

Mine was about armpit length. It was naturally curly then before I started with these chemicals.

PinkSkates

I had midback length hair. And after my grandmother pressed it ;she would part my hair down the middle and braid my ponytails, then put barrets on the the ends. My school friends would call me pochantos.

LocksOfLuV

Everyone always talks about how their hair was so healthy when their mom was taking care of it, but NOT me!:(

My mom didn't know a thing about hair (and yes she was 100% black). All she knew how to do was braid (but she was heavy handed as hell-ouch!).

Needless to say I was a little bald-headed scally wag.:lol: I mean, it was enough hair and I had no trouble spots (until I got perms). It was about chin length.

autumnbeauty29

ajamieworld said:
At about fourteen some hairdresser had convinced me and my mom that it was okay to put a relaxer over a perm, .

I hope this isn't considered a dumb question... but what is the difference in a relaxer and a perm? I have always thought they were the same from day 1. I believed a retouch was the same as what a modern day textlax is.

claudia05

My mother relaxed my hair was I was about five cause I "wanted" to :perplexed . It always stayed between chin and shoulder. She "did" my hair up until a week before 9th grade when she burnt all my hair to my scalp which had to be cut to above my ears :eek: . To this day I get anxious anytime she touches my hair :nono: . Between then and aug of 2006, when I found LHCF, it stayed between ear and chin :( . From time to time my mother who has always had great hair no matter what, natural 3a/b to relaxed, bald to past shoulder says to me "aren't you just jealous of my hair?"

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My hair usually hovered between necklength and shoulderlength. When I was about 10, it got to about APL and stayed there for about a year.

LocksOfLuV

autumnbeauty29 said:
I hope this isn't considered a dumb question... but what is the difference in a relaxer and a perm? I have always thought they were the same from day 1. I believed a retouch was the same as what a modern day textlax is.

It's really the same thing in the context that black women use it.

But the correct wording is a perm is for white people to make their hair curlier. A relaxer, relaxes the curl pattern and makes the hair straighter (which is commonly used by blacks and other people with coarse hair).

A lot of black women use the terms perm and relaxer, interchangeably but they really aren't the same thing.

BlkOnyx488

LocksOfLuV said:
Everyone always talks about how their hair was so healthy when their mom was taking care of it, but NOT me!:(

My mom didn't know a thing about hair (and yes she was 100% black). All she knew how to do was braid (but she was heavy handed as hell-ouch!).

Needless to say I was a little bald-headed scally wag.:lol: I mean, it was enough hair and I had no trouble spots (until I got perms). It was about chin length.

Girl my mother was same way
only I was bald for years when my hair finally started to grow, my mother put a curly perm in my hair I WAS 4. I found out years later she never used curl activator. Now I know why my hair all fell out.
It was down hill from there.

Sha76

My hair was arely collarbone length. but is not because my mom grew it . We have had total domain over our own heads since about 8 or 9 years old. We did know any better about how to take care of it. Got a relacer at 10 and it just got progressively shorter and thinner from there.

meaganita

My hair was always somewhere between SL & APL as a child. I got a relaxer at a young age too. APL was the longest my hair got in a relaxer (maybe a tad longer). But I'm all natural now, and my hair is the longest it's ever been.

dorko

my hair was stuck between chin and just barely touching my shoulder - it was as if my hair was stuck at a certain length
i got my first relaxer at like 7yo because trying to get thru my hair was a hassle.. super thick & i was/am tenderheaded. i think i got a childrens relaxer once and moved right onto cream of nature or optimum lol :ohwell:

eunique

my hair has never been "long".

for most of elementary school it was around chin length. i wish i could at least have that now. smmfh. the longest it's ever been was almost collar bone. i swear that only lasted for one night. my mom flat ironed/wrapped my hair for a christmas party and i love lookin' at that picture. my hair looked great and whatnot. then i don't know what happened but my hair disappeared. in middle school it went between ear and chin length. i used rock a cute little flip. i kept braids most of the time. my hair just wasn't growing. i dunno.

i tried to go w|o relaxers in ninth grade. didn't work for me. tried braids. didn't work. tme and my friend both wanted to get shoulder length by graduation ... its in six weeks and lets just say i'm no where near that. hmph.

i let my mom cut it in july because my hair was seriously depressing me. i loveeeeed my short hair cut. i was fly, but i really just want to see if i can grow "long" hair. i've always wanted it. every body around me in my family grows great and i always get "stuck".

i'm really hoping to grow my hair just so i can say that i can. i used to just want to prove people wrong because kids are cruel. i don't know how many times i've been called "bald-headed" just because my hair isn't down my back. if i wear a weave then people think i'm tryna be something i'm not. if i wear a phony pony i'm afraid it's gonna fall off -- and it has a couple of times, its so embarassing. i just want to be able to wear my own hair.

maybe my hair won't grow long but i'm really hear to learn to love what i have.

Aubergold

LocksOfLuV said:
It's really the same thing in the context that black women use it.

But the correct wording is a perm is for white people to make their hair curlier. A relaxer, relaxes the curl pattern and makes the hair straighter (which is commonly used by blacks and other people with coarse hair).

A lot of black women use the terms perm and relaxer, interchangeably but they really aren't the same thing.

girl you!

my mother put a relaxer in when I was like 6 and then took me to the braid ladies LATER THAT AFTERNOON so it would be easier for THEM to braid. What about me? :(

Then again when I was like 9 some lady wanted to corn row my hair. Even though i already had a relaxer, she put ANOTHER one all throughout my hair in order to "catch the hair". Good lord, I cry for my childhood. the worst thing was she had just finished relaxing my cousin's hair with "Just for me" relaxer. So she ran out of that and then picked up some old men's texturizer (who knows how long it had been sitting there) and slapped it over my already relaxed head. and neutralize what? Needless to say, my wasn't that hot

DarkAngell

My hair was usually tied back in a bun or braided until i was about 7. Thats when i got my first relaxer and the first time i went to a stylist. After it was relaxed bone straight it was a few inches past BSL. And just like you my hair got shorter and shorter. it also got more and more brittle. Im 24 now and my hair barely reaches the bottom of my neck ( partly from stylists getting scissor happy and partly because i wasnt taking care of my hair).

basketballbabe03

My hair when I was a kid was thick and probably a little past armpit length. My mom didn't believe in putting relaxers in our hair when I was littel. When I think back to those days, it makes me sad because my hair was nice. I would probably still have it if I didn't have all those hair mishaps such as my grandmother deciding to try and do my hair... To make a long story short, she used a protein conditioner in my hair and didn't wash it all out. My hair just snapped off. Man, was my mom steaming. Then my mom decided to put a relaxer in my hair and decided that I should take care of my hair by myself without telling me how to care for my hair, lol. Then it all fell out because of overprocessing, braids, hair catching on fire... yeah, lol. Every time I look at my youngest sister who has natural apl hair unstretched, I always tell her not to get a relaxer and that her hair is beautiful the way God made it. I don't want her to have the mindset that I had when I was her age that anything but straight hair is ugly. I got so sick of my hair that I just cut it ALL off last march and i'm starting over natural. Hopefully, I will have thick hair again :)

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I believe armpit length was the longest my hair ever been as a child (natural and relaxed). I consider armpit length as long hair. I believe it could have been longer (maybe brastrap length), if my mom hadn't of pressed my natural hair all the time and if she hadn't of relaxed my hair when I was 10-11 years old. When she gave me a touch-up, she would relax all of my hair, not just the new growth! :eek: Also, when I was in high school, I got a couple of layered hair cuts that would put my hair at my shoulders or nearing armpit length. Plus, I used to use curling irons on a daily basis back then, so I never allowed my hair to get any longer than armpit length.

Now that I'm natural and 23 years old, I'm hoping to at least reach brastrap length. I don't know if my hair could ever reach waist length, but it doesn't hurt to watch and see; however, I won't be disappointed if it doesn't reach that length. :)

jshor09

my hair was midback length and thick. my mom used to wash every2-3 weeks and braid it sunday night. she used blue magic and sulfur 8 grease. my hair thrived until my aunt relaxed my hair without my mom's knowledge when i was . but then m hair well into my hands. i got it cut into a mushroom hair do and theni wanted it even. so needless to say my hair never got to the length i had as a child. now that i found lhcf hopefully it will

SouthernTease

My hair was always mid-back or longer as a child.
I got my first relxer at 13 and since then my hair has
never been past shoulder length. I really didn't need
one... if we would've had flat irons back then, but my mom
didn't know how to care for my "good hair"... so she
just let a stylist do whatever she wanted: cut all my hair
off and relax it... :(

jamiss

autumnbeauty29 said:

I'm sorry, I meant perm over jheri curl!:lachen: I didn't proof read. Needless to say, it was a disaster.