• Never! I don't trim

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other: Please share your routine

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I just trimmed my ends over the Thanksgiving break. Was on haitus for a few months from trimming, to let it grow 'wild' - something I read was good, too. But the trim made my hair so fluffy and bouncy, I'm wanting to go back to trimming every 6 weeks.. :lol: Thing is, when I was trimming every six weeks, my hair wasn't growing as fast as when I left it alone. So I'll plan a no-trim for another 2 months, then trim, to see the progress...

What's been working for you other
Naturalistas?

ms.blue

I barely made any progress b/c I trimmed or s&d too often. Once I stopped I did regain some length but I believe that trims should just be done 2-4 times a years to see growth but I do understand that the hair just looks and acts better with a fresh trim (its addicting). Its all about personal preference and what your goal is.

LovingLady

I trim .25-.5 inches off every three months. This helps to retain length and maintain fresh ends.

Nasdaq_Diva

I hadn't had a trim/dusting in almost a year. I just recently got 2 inches cut off. My length suffered, but healthy ends trump scraggely length for me anyday.

I def don't think ANY one needs a trim every 6 weeks, not even those who wear relaxers.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
2 Xs a year when it is straightened.
June and December

I still will s&d ssk and splits when/if I see them

RubyWoo

I trimmed 2x this year. Next year I plan to trim every 3-4 months. I believe I retain more length when I trim.

Nayna

Unbothered
So far I only trimmed once this year I think. My ends are doing well and I snip out splits as I see them.

Nonie

Ideally every 6-8 weeks. So every other month or so, sounds closest.

I say ideally because I don't focus on my hair the way so many do (sheer laziness/apathy) and so I forget to stay on schedule, but when I have been focused and done it according to that schedule, my hair has thrived beautifully and I've had not just good retention but also thick hair from base to ends.

Legally Natural

I normally trim my hair once a year in December. My hair remains in braids for the rest of the year. I actually took my braids down like 2 weeks ago to do twists and realized that my hair is screaming for a trim. I will be trimming about an inch or a little more of the ends and then go over my hair with the splitender afterwards. I want to make sure I have an accurate starting point for the 2011 hair challenges.

I think I might start trimming twice a year though. One time in June and the other in December.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i have not cut any hair off my head since i did the bc in february. come to think of it, i didn't cut the whole year i transitioned either. hmmph. i guess i'm pretty bad with this cutting thing. ♥

cmw45

Usually twice a year...if twice than about a half inch each time...if once then about an inch. I'm still on my two year C&G challenge so my hair has been covered for the last 18 months and my ends are in pretty good condition. I will still get them trimmed when I go to Atlanta in December though.

Tylove101

I have not trimmed since my BC in 2008 :look: My ends looks good... hair still growing... so I say if it is not broke don't fix it.

iri9109

i trimmed like 1/2 inch once about a month after i BCd because my ends were ragged b/c of the scissors i used...i think i need to trim again, but i'm waiting until my BC anniversary when i straighten...after that i'll probably trim 1x no more than 2x a yr

Rastafarai

I get my trims/cuts done professionally which cost an arm and a leg so I try and limit anywhere from 2-3x a year.

makeupgirl

My hair hasn't had scissors touch since 10/2009 when I did the BC. My hair appears to be healthy curls but I'm sure it's time for a trim. Long time for one. I'm going to make the effort to get it done either the last week of this month or the first week of the new year and just get trims every 6 mos and S&D as needed. My hair does knotts up but it's not as bad since I've learned to comb with the conditioner in my hair and then after I get out of the shower and have moisturized, then I comb again and it keeps the tangles and knots at bay.

Tif392002

since my HHJ began, i decided i will trim my hiar once a year, since i dont wear my eneds out and have protective styles 99% of time, maybe whn i start wearing my hait out i will trimm more frequently

chebaby

i will be trimming tonight for the first time since ive been natural(18 months or so). ive done 2 dustings of less than 1/2 inch but i will be taking of 1 inch all around. cant wait. im about 2 inches from bsl so even with the trim i think by my 2 year mark i will be bsl. the longest my hair has every been.

TwistNMx

I used to trim every 6 weeks until September of this year.
I found that I was trimming off all of my length.
Coupled with my new regimine, I do not plan on doing the 6 week thing anymore. I've been doing S&D and only cutting SSK's...so far. :drunk:

texasqt

Thank you OP for posting this. I haven't had scissors near my head since my BC in September and I thought about trimming some time this month but I haven't noticed any split ends. I have noticed that my ends aren't even/blunt like they were when I first got my hair cut in layers but it isn't anything noticeable. I may trim for the Christmas holiday but after reading this post I see I don't necessarily have to.