How many?

L

legs71

How many shampoos, conditioners, protein conditioners, reconstructers and leave-in's do you feel are necessary to use? Is it good to stick to one brand per category or is it more beneficial to have a couple of different brands per category and rotate? I am confused especially when it comes to the different shampoos that claim to target specific hair problems. Come on PJ's tell me what you think /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NAY007

in my opinion you should find one shampoo, conditioner, deep treatment, clarifying shampoo, leave in, and oil that works for your hair and also a routine that works for you. and then stick with it. maybe you can have two of each so you can alternate but usually i think less is more. just think of your skin: you have one soap/shower gel, maybe a scrub, and a lotion. that are the basic things you need. try to do the same with your hair. of course every now and then something new and "better" is coming out and you want to try, i think that's okay. i don't think you always have to stick with the same brand though.
sometimes it's hard to stay on your path because everybody's hair is different and especially here on the board i am tempted a lot of becoming a pj myself /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Paris Belle

That's a really good question, legs. I've found some products that I really like, but I find myself wanting to try the ones I hear so much about on this board. Sometimes I would like to alternate the products though, just so I don't get used to just one product and it becomes less effective. I have read that online..

L.A. Woman

If you don't like having too many products at one time, try scaling down to one clarifier, shampoo, protein and moisturizing conditioner, etc. and use them up over a season, then get a different set (w/ new brands you may have heard about) of each for the next - rotate that way.

Then there's been enough consistency for your hair to respond well (or not - and if not, you know what to weed out of your regimen and can phase in something new the next season).

I just wonder if you were to use the same products year in and year out, if over time your hair gets tired of it (I'm thinking personally of the rut I fell into during the mid '90s using Sebastian's Cello shampoo with Sebastian's Sheen conditioner followed by Infusium 23)

LondonDiva

OMG my hair products are turning into a mini shop in my bathroom. I have hair products like women have shoes. I have about 5 different shampoos 3 or 4 conditioner, but they all do different things. Like I have a bodifying shampoo, 2 moisturising ones, CPR shampoo, a regular shampoo etc. They are all different brands too. It took me ages to find what I really need and like. I alternate every shampoo (which is every 2 days) depending on what my hair needs or how I feel.

Go with the flow and work on what's best for your hair and your pocket. Dabble in a little experimentaion, otherwise you could miss out on a good product. Just don't go overboard. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hairfanatic

Hi Legs,

I think it's a matter of choice. Since I have tons of them, I just switch out when I feel one is not doing the job I need it to do. I am definately trying to put a interchangable system together to narrow down my choices and give me the things I need. Sometimes I think I just get bored with my products oppose to them not working for me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I do agree with everyone else that you definately need to change your shampoos and conditioners as the season change, it does make a big difference. I tend to need tons of moisture, oils, etc. now to keep my hair from drying out.

A

AmilLion

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
legs71 said:
How many shampoos, conditioners, protein conditioners, reconstructers and leave-in's do you feel are necessary to use? Is it good to stick to one brand per category or is it more beneficial to have a couple of different brands per category and rotate? I am confused especially when it comes to the different shampoos that claim to target specific hair problems. Come on PJ's tell me what you think /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as I finish all my products, I will stick with

Shampoo

[*]Arosci Moisturizing Shampoo
[*]Neutrogena T-Gel

Moisturizing Conditioner
[*]Mizani Moisturfuse

Protein Conditioner
[*]Motions CPR

Leave-In Treatment
[*]Arosci Leave-In
[*]Ultra Black Hair Dew

Daily Dress
[*]Elasta QP Mango Butter
[*]Elucence Hair Mist

Allandra

I have been getting my supply of products down (using up and giving away). In the end, I will keep on hand:

* 2 pre-shampoo conditioners - Tropical Avocado &amp; Tropical Milk and Honey
* 2 shampoos - Elucence &amp; L'anza Protein Plus
* 2 conditioners - Elucence &amp; Pantene Smooth and Sleek
* 1 protein conditioner - L'anza (same line as the protein plus shampoo)
* 1 leave in - Elucence
* 2 daily moisturizers - Kiehl's Creme w/Silk Groom &amp; Aura Humectant Pomade

I will be adding a creme rinse any day now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I like the idea of having two choices in most of the categories. This will definitely keep me from getting bored.

L

legs71

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I'll stick to 2 products per category to prevent using it up so quickly. I've had braids for so long that all this stuff is foreign to me. Half of me is looking forward to ditching the braids and my other half is petrified all my success will go down the drain once hair care left in my hands. My mother suggested to have my hair done weekly, but I don't want to rely on a beautician as my lifeline. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Julia

I have always heard from hair care professionals that you should use at least two different products in each category that do not have the majority of similar ingredients. The rationale is that no one product carries all the ingredients that your hair needs and if you use one prouct regularily your hair will miss out on the benefits of the other. This is what I was told, not sure how true it is. It makes sense to me though. I also read about this in a herbal book at the health food store.