How much do you follow your parents in terms of hair texture?

How many of you take directly from your parent's texture?

• My hair is exactly like my mom/dad's.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • My hair is nothing like my parents!

Votes: 54 52.4%

• Total voters

Dposh167

my mom is mostly 4b course and my father is 4b too...

i'm 4a/b fine...i have the same hair as my grandma (mothers side)

ladylibra

haha, I've had that said to me, but in the other way "i can't go natural cuz i don't have a nice grade of hair". going by my parents, i probably won't have cute coils like I see lots of people on this board having.

girl bunk all that nonsense. it doesn't matter if you have stick-straight hair, wavy, curly, coily, kinky, pure poof or several of these textures all on the same head. what matters is that you keep it healthy and that you like it! if you wanna go natural, do it... not because you think you'll have coils, or loose waves, or a cotton-candy fro. do it cuz it's what YOU want to do.

and there's no law that says you can't do something else later on down the line if you so desire... :look:

Endlesslegs

My grandma( mum's side) was a 3b/c and I dont remember what my mums hair is because she's been relaxed all my life. I dont know my dad's texture either, he's been shaved bald most of my life too, but pictures of the huge afro he sported in the eighties leans towards the 4a/4b side.

As for me, Im a predominantly 4a, with some 4b too :)

Suerte

My mom is a 3b/3c and my dad was a extremely thick and dense and coarse textured 2b.

I'm every texture in the book, other than a 1a and a 4b :lachen:

cmw45

I didn't vote because neither of those statements are true. My mother is a soft 4a; she has never had chemicals in her head and her hair is incredibly soft. My father is a smooth 3b/3c; no frizzyness and his individual strands are very smooth with 3b on the top and 3c in the back. I'm a coarse 3c/4a. My individual strands aren't smooth and my 4a looks much more stretched out than my mothers.

BonnieB

My mom is a 3b/3c with soft curls and my dad was a extremely thick and coarse 4b waves.
I believe I'm 3c/4a since i have super soft, silky, tight thick curls that waves up at the roots. Never lays flat without gel and curls when wet. Then again my hair is living its own life because the texture and color changes on its own but my mom says its a genetic thing. :ohwell:

Last edited:

SoAnxious12

my father is a 3a/b thick yet very soft and silky. My mom is a combo 2b/3c(its really weird), super fine and on the thinner side. My father's mother is a i guess like a 1c(there's a slight wave) and his father was a very fine and sily coily3c/4a. My mom's dad is a straight 1 and her mom is said to have been a very coarse 2/3 something or other.
Now i have fine, medium thick 3b/c/4a curls with weird straight roots in most areas of my head... except for where the very front (hairline... where it counts lol)

naturalmanenyc

I have hair like my mom, 3c. She has a short cut and wears it curly in the summer. My dad's hair is super low so I cannot see the texture but in old pictures when he had a thick afro it looks like 4a/b.

LayneJ

I have my father's hair type, and my mother's texture.

My father is a coarse, 4a. My mother is a fine, 3b/3c.

I'm a fine, 4a.

SleepyJean

I couldn't vote.

I don't have my mom's texture(she's like 3A, I THINK), and my dad never grows out his hair so I don't know. I think have my dad's hair, though.

Last edited:

cocoberry10

Interesting thread. I think our hair textures can range. I guess you could use your parents to gauge, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee!

EbonyEyes

Interesting thread. I think our hair textures can range. I guess you could use your parents to gauge, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee!

It's definately not a guarantee. My mom's mother had fine 3a hair and my mom's father had straight, type 1 hair. However, my mom has 4a/4b hair. My mom said to me some years ago that it was a shame that she had such bad hair when her parents had good hair. :ohwell:

She knows that it's wrong to use those terms and she's gotten much better. She's even currently rockin her fro and looks fabulous!

I have 4a hair. But I don't know what my father's hair type was.

Rei

Oh! I forgot to say mine in my own thread. well, my dad is a 4z and my mom is a 4z, so lets guess what thats probably going to make me :rolleyes:

LynnieB

the reason why i hate hair typing Part 60 trillion.

my dad, grandpa and grandma on dad's side all were in the fine, thin and "able to comb their hair with fine toothed combs" category.

my grandpa, grandma on my mom's side, same as above but coarser (think next size up fine tooth comb).

my mom is in the kinky curly, "lawdy chile ya need a wider toothed comb where did you come from" category.

me...........................a mess. totally a kinky/curly/wavy "find the widest wide tooth comb you can find" combo of the 2 lines.

Seraphina

Mom has type 1, straight, fine and very thin hair. Dad is 4b (I think), can't tell how thick cause it's so short.
I have 3b with some 3c toward the front, fine in texture but I've got a whole lot of it. Mom's always been jealous:rolleyes:.

GodsGrace

I definitely have my father's hair, all 4, a or b I don't know but if I had to pick I'd probably say b. My mom's hair has a bit more wave to it, so I think she's a 3 something. We're both tenderheaded though so I got that from her, but that's about it.

sunnieb

My dad is 4a with 3c patches and my mom is all 4b. I have 4a/b hair so I am a combination of both!

MsSanz92

My mother has 4a/b hair like myself and my father has thinnish 4a hair. My hair however is much thicker and coarser than both of my parents!

IrrationalThoughts

My Mom has SUPER soft cottony 4bz hair very fine and sparse and my dad has 4a hair with coarse, thick, wiry strands and dense. Me? I have both of those textures and densities in my head. The back 3rd is 4a sparse with thick strands, the crown is 4a thin strands and density. The sides are dense, fine 4b strands and the top is a dense mixed fine and not 4a/4b. My whole head is coarse, dare I say rough?

Amoreofcurls

My hair is nothing like my parents but a slightly tighter version of my abuela's (mommy's mom) hair...we have the same texture and fineness...

lovegymnasts

I have never seen my mom without a relaxer and my dad always has a picked out fro.
I vaguely remember a fro picture of her when she was younger. I'm guessing they are both 4a. Come to think of it, I really think we are all 4a (parents, siblings, half-siblings, and my nephew).
Interesting...