How not to comb/brush

laurend085

I think I comb/brush my hair too much and think this will effect my growth. I mainly use one of those brushes with the balls on the end. I comb/brush to wrap my hair every night, in the morning to unwrap it and fix it how I want it and sometimes run a comb/brush through it before going somewhere. I feel like I have to wrap it every night because if I sleep without doin it my hair will be a matted tangled mess and destroy any style that was in it.
The reason I want to stop is because I'm seeing how long I can go without a perm and hopefully I can transition. I notice that when I've went past my time for a perm my hair would be sore/tender from combing/brushing too much to try to make my hair look presentable. I don't want my head hurting throughout this entire process and I know it will hinder my growth.

Those of you that do less manipulation by less combing/brushing how do you do it? Besides protective styling because I can't do that right now with the length my hair is and is not something I will do too often anyway

Thanks!

MangaManiac

When I decided to stop using my brush/comb on a daily basis I would using moisturizer to smooth my hair down at night and put on my scarf TIGHT with a men's wave cap on top, then another scarf. It wasn't going anyway and when I took them off the next day my hair just needed to be put in my buns. Alternatively I'd try wrapping or braiding my hair and using the same scarf method. Then I'd just finger comb in the morning.

I know that's not exactly what you needed because I was protective styling, but it did work and I retained most of my length this way!

vkb247

I am also trying to use brushes less and for me that means trying some different styles. OP I have read that you should never use a brush with the balls on the tip as it the most damaging type for hair.

MrsSmitty77

What helps me is

1. I don't comb new growth unless it is wet with plenty of conditioner
2. I don't comb dry hair unless it is less than 4 weeks post relaxer and I always use a wide tooth comb.
3. I don't brush wet hair at all, I only brush my hair a little with a soft to medium boars bristle brush once it has air dried.

Honestly if I know I am not going anywhere, I use nothing but fingers and scarf to style my bun. Before LHCF I was losing a lot of hair off my ends and now I have retained so much length that I had no idea my hair grows as fast as it does now that I'm not losing it from combing and brushing.

When ever styling my hair I try to stay within these rules.

HTH..