Votes: 104 9.3%
  • 1x a month

Votes: 56 5.0%
  • 6 weeks or longer

Votes: 31 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BAILEYSCREAM

I put every week, but I actually wash and condition every 2-3 days and I deep condition each time so it could be 2-3 times a week in the summer and less in the winter because of the cold. If I have time to steam the hair then it's 30 minutes or more under the steamer, if not then it's 10 minutes with the plastic shower cap in the shower:)

Last edited:

MeechUK

MeechUK
secretdiamond said:
For those who use the hooded dryer, what setting to you use it on? High, medium, or low? TIA.

I deep condition once a week using a hooded dryer. I usually use the highest setting and then lower it to medium, if it starts to feel too hot or uncomfortable. Now that winter is approaching I am going to switch deep conditioning to once a fortnight.

MeechUK

Mizani_Mrs

I deep cond every week. I wash every week on the weekends. I used to sit under the dryer for 20mins. Now mostly i won't use heat but i'll leave the cond in my hair and a plastic cap for 20mins. seldomly I will sit under the dryer for 15mins. But i really want to start getting back into using the dryer. I use mostly moisturizing deep conds, and only protein deep conds like every 4 weeks.

tenderheaded

I deep condition weekly. I'm relaxed and colored, so I need all the help I can get. I alternate between Aphogee reconstructor, Motions CPR, Got2B, and ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak (thanks SuperGirl!).

I do an aphogee treatment every 4 to 6 weeks. I'm 4a/4b and thankd to all this I lose about 5 to 7 hairs daily!!!

LDebagoria

I deep condition weekly. I sleep overnight in either D-Con, a Protein Reconstructor, or Deep Fuel, whatever I need at the time.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Once a week is always sufficient along with a light protein treatment before then deep conditioning after with heat for an hour. Always leaves me with great results!

RootPunch

2x a week, no heat, for at least an hour (sometimes overnight).

Will do Aphogee every 6 weeks -- I'm new, so I have 2 more weeks before I do another Aphogee.

LovelyZ

I don't think you can hurt your hair by conditioning too much. The only negative side effects I know are product buildup and weighing down the hair too much. But washing with clarifier and rinsing well would take care of both of those problems.

BabyShaq

I deep conditioner 1x per week... often leaving my deep conditioner in overnight without applying heat. :)

StartinOvah

i guess i deep condition every 3 days. everytime i use conditioner i let it sit for 30mins or longer, even when i con-wash.

Synthia

I thought I was doing great by deep conditioning every weekend.

But yesterday, while searching online for advice on whether I should use heat with my conditioner, I found that Cathy Howse is advising deep conditioning 2 times (or more) a week.

I think I'll try this since I love protein. I don't want to give up my frequent protein treatments so I need to kick up the moisturizing.

Here are some interesting excerpts from Cathy (even though she seems full of sh*t to me sometimes...oh, and because of her I'm always using heat for deep conditioning -- she thinks leaving it on for hours is a waste since the conditioners don't have heat to penetrate. Also, I'm no longer combing through my conditioners)

Conditioning very dry African American hair

1. I have a hair tip question. I was wondering if there is any problem with using multiple conditioners at a time after washing my hair. After shampooing, I use your conditioner along with a protein treatment and another anti-breakage conditioner at the same time and sit under a heating cap. Do you know of any problems with using many conditioners at one time? My hair seems fine but I just want to make sure that I'm not putting too much stuff on my hair at once. Thanks
Kyshia, the purpose of a deep conditioning is to improve the hairs condition. Based on what you have told me you are wasting your money by putting 3 protein products on your hair at once. Save the protein treatments until you are have severe breakage. They are not needed constantly. The anti-breakage conditioner also from the name appears to be a protein product. Are you hurting your hair? No. Are you wasting your money? You cant rush the improvement process along. It takes time not an abundance of products to achieve success.

3. Is there such a thing as over-conditioning your hair?
Over conditioning should not be your concern. Using products that improve your hair is what you need to focus on.

4. I have finally read your incredible book, AND used your wonderful conditioner!!! My hair is already along the road to recovery. Now, having said that, I have some questions for you. Should I use your conditioner every time I shampoo, and if not, what should I use??
If you hair is in very bad shape when you first start my method, it is Okay to use it (deep condition) every time you wash. I have gotten to the point where my hair is in such good condition that when I wash on Wednesday I only spray Dew on afterwards and dry under the dome type dryer. If I am having a lot of breakage, I will use my conditioner or a protein treatment.

5. I get my hair professional done every two weeks. I wash my own hair in between. Should I take the conditioner to the beauty shop with me?
Deep conditioning 1X per week is the minimum. It is not necessary to take the product into the hair salon unless you absolutely want them to use only that. Just ensure you continue your weekly deep conditioning treatments when you are not in the salon chair. Whether they do your deep conditioning or you do them yourself, it does not matter. You just want to ensure you are using a product at least once a week that will improve your hair like UBH conditioner will.

8. I comb my hair after I finish washing the conditioner out and spraying the dew in it, is this a bad move, should I let the hair air dry without combing the hair through?

I do not recommend combing chemically processed hair wet as it can cause further damage to already fragile hair.

10. Do I need to apply heat every time I use your conditioner?

I use heat every time I use my conditioner because otherwise it is a waste to use it without it. Heat of course makes the hairshaft swell open and the product goes inside. Without the heat you are merely wasting the product. I generally only deep condition on the weekend unless I am getting dry breaking hair. On Wednesday I simply wash and put my Dew on then dry my hair.

13. Is a leave in conditioner necessary?
No a moisturizer is necessary - depending on the ingredients, the name can be misleading!

18. Would it be ok if I used an instant conditioner AFTER I rinse the deep conditioner out for detangling and softening purposes ONLY?
No problem, after a deep conditioner. Instant conditioners generally contain wax which coats the hair and smoothes it at the same time. You may need to clarify more because of buildups. If you can find a good creme rinse it actually is better. But it is okay to use the instant for detangling and softening.
21. How soon should I do my deep conditioner?
Start immediately and do one at least once a week as before or twice if you have time to deep condition.

23. I wash my hair 2 to 3 days a week, with each wash I have been deep conditioning using your product. Am I deep conditioning too much?
No not if your hair is in bad condition. My hair is in very good condition now so I ensure I deep condition at least once a week. Two times are good if you are working to improve the hairs present condition.

27. Cathy, should I part my hair in four sections and then apply the conditioner ( to distribute it evenly)?
NO 28. I apply the conditioner and comb it through. Is that Okay?
Do NOT comb the conditioner through the hair! Combing wet, damaged chemically processed hair can increase the damage by combing.

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

I condition once every weekend with ORS Hair Mayonnaise, CO wash, then condition again with Queen Helene Cholesterol. It's time consuming, but seems to be worth it.

Radianthealth

I deep condition when I shampoo. On Wednesdays and Sundays anywhere from 25 minutes to 60 (I try to go for 60 everytime). I usually use a heating cap. Sometimes I use the overhead dryer with a shower cap. I have been doing this for about a month. I think it is very good for my hair. Usually use the UBH conditioner which has a good deal of protein in it followed by a moisturizing conditioner for about 1-3 minutes before rinsing.

trinidarkie1

I'm doing my first Deep Condition in about 6 weeks right now, sad but true.
I had a full weave in and I couldnt do the treatments like I wanted. So I think I am going to have to start getting braids or just wearing my hair natural all summer with my bantu knots cos I hate not treating my hair.

I normally use the ORs Replenishing pak.
Today I did a clarifying wash and conditioner with VO5 Kiwi Lime and Squeeze.
Then a Porosity control, then the ORS. Will rinse and apply my MTG, AMLA, SURGE 14, Fantasia Scalp Serum and Lavender Oil Mix.