How often do you press and curl

Mamacita

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask how often do you press and curl especially for the natural haired women. I Have been completely natural for 17 months and I have never had my hair pressed and curled. I did however ave my hair blown dry on a few occasions and my hair reaches my collar bone at this point. I am in the process of looking for someone to do my hair but at the same time be gentle with it. Basically how should my hair be blown dried and pressed with the least damaging effects. Thanks for your responses.

babyblue

every two weeks is usually the standard. i used to do it every 2-3 weeks...sometimes i would stretch it out to 4 week because my stylist used to give great hard presses that used to last forever. like week three people would be asking me "did u just get your hair done"?

dont do it yourself go to a professional. if u do it yourself make sure u use a good shampoo/deep condition + leave in. add pressing oil ( i like ultra sheen creme satin press) to damp hair THEN blowdry with comb attachment( i find adding the pressing creme to damp hair rather than dry hair creates a silkier, less greasy press). Next proceed to press. I suggest an electric flat iron or hot comb with different heat settings over a regular stove hot comb because some of them have the tendency to snag and pull hairs, plus the amount of heat is easier to control.

InsertCleverNameHere

I used to press once a week. I wouldn't blowdry. Instead I would add all products and smooth it back and let it air dry through the night. That way its also less heat. My hair was smoother and easier to work with that way. I gave myself hard presses and it would last probably forever if my scalp didn't start itching.

caress

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
every two weeks is usually the standard. i used to do it every 2-3 weeks...sometimes i would stretch it out to 4 week because my stylist used to give great hard presses that used to last forever. like week three people would be asking me "did u just get your hair done"?

dont do it yourself go to a professional. if u do it yourself make sure u use a good shampoo/deep condition + leave in. add pressing oil ( i like ultra sheen creme satin press) to damp hair THEN blowdry with comb attachment( i find adding the pressing creme to damp hair rather than dry hair creates a silkier, less greasy press). Next proceed to press. I suggest an electric flat iron or hot comb with different heat settings over a regular stove hot comb because some of them have the tendency to snag and pull hairs, plus the amount of heat is easier to control.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely what I did for the two years before I got my current relaxer. I either pressed my hair or slicked it back.

miss_brown

Only once every 3 or 4 months, and just usually then because I need to get a good trim. The rest of the time, I'm braided or doing natural styles like twists and twist outs. When my hair is pressed though, I usually leave it like that for 3 weeks. The press could last longer, but by then my scalp feels gross.

Mamacita

thanks for all of the advice. I think I will get it professionally done because I did blow dry my hair on a few occassions and it was way too much hair for me to deal with. I have a good friend that gets her hair pressed and curled and she goes to a place named Color Shines and her hair looks lovely. I just wanted to make sure she had good technique because I have decided to grow my hair out as long as possible.....well maybe not as long as possible but to the bottom of my bra strap. So there, that's my new hair goal, oh yeah it has to be thick and healthy

caress

Just out of curiosity, is this salon in Philadelphia? If so can you tell me what your friend thinks of the salon? By the way, on the Salon Review Board their is a thread/topic titled Philadelphia Salons. If you ever get a chance take a look at the thread. There are a few of us here from Philly too.

Mamacita

This salon IS in Philly, actually it's on Leigh Ave. My girl friend is natural and when I met her I didn't believe her because her hair was sooooo straight I thought she had a perm. She has been going to her stylist for years and she really likes her and she does well with her hair. She also colors VERY good. This past summer my friend decided to try "natural" styles and hated them so she went back to her stylist. Oh and by the way, I will check out the other board. Thanks

Mamacita

Are you natural, if so how long have you been pressing and curling your hair every week? And do you notice any heat damage?

hotshot

if you want to retain your curl pattern after the press, use a light creme instead of pressing oil. i know people with straight pieces sticking out of fros month after a press.

caress

[ QUOTE ]
Mamacita said:
This salon IS in Philly, actually it's on Leigh Ave. My girl friend is natural and when I met her I didn't believe her because her hair was sooooo straight I thought she had a perm. She has been going to her stylist for years and she really likes her and she does well with her hair. She also colors VERY good. This past summer my friend decided to try "natural" styles and hated them so she went back to her stylist. Oh and by the way, I will check out the other board. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mamacita. I thought I had heard of that salon.

Lilydrake

[ QUOTE ]
Mamacita said:
Are you natural, if so how long have you been pressing and curling your hair every week? And do you notice any heat damage?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm natural. I have been pressing least an half hour in all the year and curling about an hour during the cold weather. No, I don't notice any heat damage.