How often is everyone steaming?

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

I just received my steamer. So excited!!!! :grin:
I know that you shouldn't "oversteam", so how often is everyone steaming their hair?
Also, I am under my steamer right now, and I applied my DC on dry hair, what is everyone else doing?

taz007

When I first got my steamer, I went crazy! I think that I steamed 2-3 times per week. Then I got lazy and steamed once per month.

I am going to start steaming in a pre-poo once per week. This will be a happy medium for me.

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

Thanks for replying ladies. I will probably start myself on a once per week regime...I am scared it might be too much, but it's winter and where I am is cold and oh so dry, so hopefully I really reap some benefits!!!

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I don't own a steamer but I do the home version once a week because of the winter weather, once spring hits it will be bi weekly.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm having such good results with the homemade version, I can just imagine how much better my hair will turn out once I get an actual steamer.

Vintageglam

Ideally I would like to do it 1x a week but at the mo it ends up being every 2 weeks. I want to get it back up to 1x week tho bc that is when my hair was SUPER healthy....:cloud9:

I think any more than that and people with fine hair (like me) risk making their hair becoming too mushy....

Last edited:

Alta Angel

I pre-poo with coconut oil and Suave Cocounut Conditioner. Wash with Design Essentials Oatmeal Shampoo or Moisture Shampoo. Then apply either Design Essentials Stimulations or Express Conditioner and sit under the steamer for 30 minutes. I do this every week.

BellaLunie

I ordered mine and I'm waiting on its delivery. Not to hijack but for those who steam do you use a cap or no? I'm so conflicted on the advice. I'm leaning towards no cap and buying a headband from Sally's for the sweat

JustKiya

What's the homemade version?

I steam once a week with the 'homemade' version, a concept of Lucky'sMom.

Basically, you get a regular hooded dryer (I have a soft bonnet one), two turbo twist towels (the ones that are super easy to wrap into a turban), and a pair of kitchen gloves. :lol:
Apply your conditioner.
Put the two towels in a microwave safe container, fill with water, pop it in the microwave, and nuke it til it's steaming hot.
Using the kitchen gloves, wring out one towel, wrap around your head. Put on a shower cap. Wrap the other towel on your head, and put on another shower cap. So, head->towel->showercap->towel->showercap.
Sit under the dryer for as long as you can stand it - I usually push myself to two hours, alternating between high heat and low heat.
Remove towels/showercaps, and finish your usual hair routine.

I can't afford a steamer, and this works perfectly for me. :yep:

ebonimama

I steam once a week on dry hair with a plastic cap. I use either silicon mix/evoo, or ors replenishing conditioner/evoo. I steam for 20 minutes if I am watching tv, or 30 minutes if I am on lhcf.

ETA: Bought my steamer from salonsrus

Last edited:

BostonMaria

The first week I got it I steamed just about every day LOL
So I now steam for 2 hours .. stand back! don't judge me! LOL... once a week

I don't use a cap, but I have one of those head band thingies so the water doesn't go on my face. I deep condition on wet hair.

frizzy

I steam for 30 minutes with a DC, once per week, after I wash my hair. Before I had my steamer, I was a 2X per week wash and DCer.

I purchased from Salons R Us.

It~Can~Grow

They are out of stock until 2/20. I'm hoping someone might know of a vendor still in stock?? I'm a little leery of buying one off of ebay.

I bought mine off ebay, shipped out same day had in 3 days with absolutely no problems.

Works perfectly.

I steam twice a week with DC no cap. I'm trying out twice a week for now because I don't have a humidifier and my house gets really dry and my hair gets super dry during the winter months.

Seems to have made a tremendous difference. Once spring rolls around I'll move it back to once a week..everything else will remain constant.

biancaelyse

I bought mine off ebay, shipped out same day had in 3 days with absolutely no problems.

Works perfectly.

I steam twice a week with DC no cap. I'm trying out twice a week for now because I don't have a humidifier and my house gets really dry and my hair gets super dry during the winter months.

Seems to have made a tremendous difference. Once spring rolls around I'll move it back to once a week..everything else will remain constant.

Who was your ebay seller??

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Sit under the dryer for as long as you can stand it - I usually push myself to two hours, alternating between high heat and low heat.:yep:

The first week I got it I steamed just about every day LOL
So I now steam for 2 hours .. stand back! don't judge me! LOL... once a week.

JustKiya and Boston Maria ... y'all ain't playin', are you? :grin:

So have either you noticed any difference in steaming your hair for 2 hours vs. 30 minutes or any other amount of time?