How often is everyone steaming?

CurliDiva

I LUV, LUV, LUV my steamer!

This winter, I started to steam more often because the air is so dry and it is too cold to go outside with wet (products) hair:yep:

I tend to steam for over 1 hour at a time weekly - usually while watching tv or on LHCF:yep:

But I also recommend steaming briefly (20 minutes) with a light oil before detangling if you are natural - you comb will get glide thru with ease!

coli

I LUV, LUV, LUV my steamer!

This winter, I started to steam more often because the air is so dry and it is too cold to go outside with wet (products) hair:yep:

I tend to steam for over 1 hour at a time weekly - usually while watching tv or on LHCF:yep:

But I also recommend steaming briefly (20 minutes) with a light oil before detangling if you are natural - you comb will get glide thru with ease!

Would you please explain this more. Are you putting oil on and steaming after you have washed and conditioned or is this done pre-poo? How often do you do this short steam session?

LushLox

I am so tempted! This sounds exactly like what I need! A few questions though.

Has anyone used a steamer for doing:

1) Henna treatments?
2) Aphogee protein treatment?
3) Braids (natural, synthetic, or human)?

I am about to commit to a year of the C&G method and I am thinking this would help on a lot of fronts. Can't wait to hear some answers!

When you say the protein treatment do you mean the 2 minute one or the strong treatment. The 2 minute is perfect for your steamer, however do NOT use your steamer for the hardcore treatment, that should be for use under a hood dryer only!

stellagirl76 said:
Thinking of upping my steaming to 2x due to the dry winter weather...

I would give it a try, I do this and it really makes a difference and keeps my hair nicely under control and manageable! :yep:

JJamiah

I was thinking every other weekend for myself. If I feel my hair can take more I will up the dose.

KinkyGenius

I am so tempted! This sounds exactly like what I need! A few questions though.

Has anyone used a steamer for doing:

1) Henna treatments?
2) Aphogee protein treatment?
3) Braids (natural, synthetic, or human)?

I am about to commit to a year of the C&G method and I am thinking this would help on a lot of fronts. Can't wait to hear some answers!

@ Bolded: I actually read that protein treatments in general take better with dry heat. So I just pre-poo with protein under my hooded dryer and do all moisturizing conditioning treatments under my steamer.

This is Chicoro's fotki and she discusses it in a lot of detail: http://public.fotki.com/chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/cuticlestructureand/004.html#media

Vintageglam

JJamiah

Steaming my son right now, he is au natural and I am retwisting his hair. I do this once every 2-3 weeks!

This is the first time he is getting his hair steamed! using YTC Mud Mask

bluediamond0829

Even when I got my steamer i didnt do it much or put it to much use. I got my hair steamed on the 2nd week of February and I just did it this past weekend.

In January I didnt steam my hair because I had a weave.

But I like the once a week idea of steaming my hair. I dont want to go overboard with it. And maybe in the summer i may try doing it 2 times just depending on how my hair reacts to the summer.

I do the homemade version so I only have patience to do it once a month when I DC. However, when my steamer arrives, I plan to do it once per week.